Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 08:52 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,455,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Spousal support, alimony, just two different names for the same beast. Still alive and well in many states. I know from personal experience that half of one's income can be awarded to the other spouse for life. I know that in Massachusetts, until just a few years ago, not only could a woman get half of her ex-husband's income, but if he remarried, she could get half of the new wife's income as well. Thankfully that was finally changed, maybe 6 years ago.
Yeah Mass is rough. A friend of My wifes in MA gets lifetime health benefits and got 15 years of alimony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 09:49 AM

35,061 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark116 View Post
It "exists", i.e. still a legal right, decided by pre or postnuptial agreement, or the judge in family court. HOWEVER, these days, a woman who is career oriented and where it can be shown is somewhat self-sufficient...ah, not so much. Feminism, thou hast shot thyself in thy foot in this regard.
P.S. And, if the woman makes more than the man, in states like California, SHE is isubject to paying HIM alimony. BEWARE. If you're ever in that position, get yourself a pre-nup post haste, and tie that knot only when the ink is good and dry.
As I have posted before getting alimony or support awarded is easy. The tough road is collecting it. Unscrupulous husbands like unscrupulous debtors anywhere can make collection of alimony an almost futile chore.

Contempt sounds like a powerful remedy but a jailed wage-earner has problems earning money to pay. Thus the non-moneyed spouse often holds off using the jail remedy. And not all "moneyed" spouses are unscrupulous. Judges often want to seem generous but no one accurately accounts for the cost of running multiple households where there used to be one.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:41 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
A.K.A. killing the goose that lays the golden eggs
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
My question had nothing to do about the alimony receiver killing the person paying the alimony.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:41 AM

768 posts, read 718,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
What if the person paying the alimony dies? does the alimony stop?
No. There is a trust set up.

Old 09-26-2017, 03:44 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark116 View Post
It "exists", i.e. still a legal right, decided by pre or postnuptial agreement, or the judge in family court. HOWEVER, these days, a woman who is career oriented and where it can be shown is somewhat self-sufficient...ah, not so much. Feminism, thou hast shot thyself in thy foot in this regard.
P.S. And, if the woman makes more than the man, in states like California, SHE is isubject to paying HIM alimony. BEWARE. If you're ever in that position, get yourself a pre-nup post haste, and tie that knot only when the ink is good and dry.
Really? Shot ourselves in the foot? That implies that we're not really wanting equality...that there's a sneaky game being played where men or women still want to get ALL the privileges.

Human nature being what it is, SOME people are willing to use any advantage they can, whether it be money, power, strength, or their gender. That will never change...but the playing field can be leveled for those that are at least looking for a fair base to start from.

Old 09-26-2017, 04:48 PM

5,740 posts, read 4,694,854 times
Alimony = indentured servitude imposed on men.

Old 09-26-2017, 07:45 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
I don't believe in alimony and think it should be abolished. It's based on much older laws. It's usually granted to women (sometimes men). But all adults should learn to support themselves if a marriage doesn't work out, and getting married was their choice.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:27 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
2 cases I know of:

FL- marriage was about 9 years, wife is an attorney and was making significantly more than the husband due to the economy slowdown. Marriage was bad for years, wife filed before 10 yr anniversary to avoid paying him any alimony.

MA- wife was collecting 65K month in alimony. Husband was CEO making millions. Company merged, he was let go. He returns to court and gets it reduced to 7,000 a month due to his unemployment and subsequent retirement. Ex-wife declared bankruptcy!

Alimony certainly had a place in history and may still apply for spouses that cannot work and earn significant incomes. But for most today, 2 earner households it is a moot point.
I don't get your point....you don't think men who are "thinking" about a divorce don't speed things up to beat the 10 year rule? And in the second case the alimony was reduced almost 90% - you don't think he had money stashed for an early retirement - you think he was penniless if he'd been making millions? Or maybe you don't know, but you can be sure the court knew about it because her lawyer knew about it. And she can do whatever she wants to do after - none of his business and her credit rating is ruined.

And right, alimony IS a moot point for 2 earner households - I don't think anyone here is disputing that.

So what's your beef?

Old 09-26-2017, 08:33 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I don't believe in alimony and think it should be abolished. It's based on much older laws. It's usually granted to women (sometimes men). But all adults should learn to support themselves if a marriage doesn't work out, and getting married was their choice.
Nah just have the spouse who is being mandated to pay up perpetually to itemize all the years of Billings the recipient didn't contribute towards. That should pretty much settle any further needs of 'a leg up'. Some spouses don't even have children to use as a reason why they didn't work or contribute to the home . Like it or not ,each are equally accountable for all those years of upkeep.
When I lost my job I didn't expect to live the same life style or receive hand outs. I regrouped and started from scratch. How is it any different for a spouse who now must adjust...Economically or socially?
My ex was in a profession that could make up to 150k per year..My lawyer advised I go the alimony route since I supported the family during the years my hubby went for his master's and doctorate. I refused. For one simple reason...That was his efforts..His time ..I don't ride someone's future net worth. We had enough to part ways and do so diplomatically .

Old 09-26-2017, 10:43 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,658,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post

THANK YOU. But alimony will be abolished because the court systems profit so much from it, it doesn't make much financial sense for them to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics