U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 07:34 PM

3,700 posts, read 2,485,824 times

Advertisements

It's nuts. And FYI, I don't step on peoples' packages lol. We did have a serious issue with thieves though breaking into the lobby stealing the ones in plain site. It's kind of an invitation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 02:32 PM

3,231 posts, read 3,473,865 times
The regulators are about to slam Facebook (with the whole Russian ads fiasco, and other practices), that's why Zuckerberg went on a country-wide tour.

The Big 5 (Microsoft, Apple, Google, Amazon, Facebook) are getting looked at by anti-trust regulators already.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:43 AM

3,335 posts, read 3,125,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I agree, I find it very perturbing.

However, you're late to the party, because you should have started worrying long ago about companies like Monsanto and Microsoft. Or Staples? Or how about the Koch brothers? Or the way a single cable provider dominates an entire region? Or the general media consolidation as mentioned in Outfoxed? Or the food industry consolidation?

So you can start by quitting Amazon. Anyone paying attention could see the way Amazon early on had been destroying the book business. Support local NYC businesses instead.

Glad that your favorite POTUS of choice, mr trump, has now fledged a daring war on amazon; and that the scandal of data abuse by FB has raised global concerns about those gigantic social media organizations. It was a torture to watch how a bunch of tech illiterate politicians grilled zuckberg with torch lights from a mile away...it was a completely waste of time for a bunch of politicians who hardly knows how tech operates to questions a data abuser master mind that way...

but, hope this just marked a start of a new era for all of us to watch out for the danger and harm that our society has now been subjected to by those unregualted tech innovations.

Old 04-15-2018, 01:50 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,385,700 times
Only 60 of the Fortune 500 companies from 1955 still are on the list in 2017.

Will amazon, Facebook, google etc be king in 50 years?

The average length of time in the Fortune 500 is down to 14 years. Nearly 90 percent of the companies in the 1955 list have been bankrupted, contracted, or merged. Industries fade and die. Totally unforeseen ones rise to take its place.

And the world ain’t slowing down. I wouldn’t be so sure of their “monopoly” in the future.

Fortune 500 firms 1955 v. 2017: Only 60 remain, thanks to the creative destruction that fuels economic prosperity - AEI

Old 04-15-2018, 02:04 PM

23,247 posts, read 16,049,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
The regulators are about to slam Facebook (with the whole Russian ads fiasco, and other practices), that's why Zuckerberg went on a country-wide tour.

The Big 5 (Microsoft, Apple, Google, Amazon, Facebook) are getting looked at by anti-trust regulators already.
Facebook is now in very hot water for unethical collection of data along with the Russian ads now. Now they are required to verify the identities and addresses of anyone who buys political ads, as well as anyone who has large numbers of followers. This is just the beginning.

Backpage was shutdown because of human trafficking.

Old 04-16-2018, 01:39 PM

11,039 posts, read 11,450,778 times
I don't think of Amazon or Wal-Mart as industries, because they don't produce anything. They are just a retail channel. I have always used mail order for major shopping. Fifty years ago it was Sears, Wards, Radio Shack and JC Whitney, though Eico, Heath and Dyna got my business too. Now I use Amazon because they scour manufacturers and put their entire inventory in a search engine with pictures and tech specs. I just ordered a single gang 4-speaker banana plug faceplate, four single gang single speaker face plates, and 24 banana plugs from Amazon last week. Where else would I find them? Hours of google, or one stop at Amazon? Last month I ordered 100 microscope slides with glass covers and a selection of vital stains. Where else would I find them? Rite-Aid sure wouldn't stock them. For that matter, Rite-Aid has removed all the things from inventory that a man might be interested in, so I don't go there any more.

Sears decided to abandon a mail order empire, then quit serving their brick and mortar customers. There is no store near me, and no way to exchange the supposed lifetime warranty on Craftsman tools. Fortunately, Oregon Tool is near me, but if you live in a major city you are SOL for a convenient place to find quality tools. If Amazon ever starts treating customers the way Sears treated me, I will give them the same treatment in return. I don't even look at Sears any more if I want to buy something. It's a waste of time.

Old 04-16-2018, 01:52 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,385,700 times
The companies generally that have stood the test of time have proprietary information.

Right now, Amazon is extracting value by exposing how other businesses value chains are bloated. This new way of business extracts efficiency.

But what do they offer that can’t be replicated? Overtime, they will find it tougher and tougher. The ocean may be blue now...but competition turns it red fast. There may be society backlash. Someone could simply come in and do it better with ai.

Before Walmart there was Kmart. And there are those that think Walmart will get taken out by Amazon.

There were plenty of untouchable companies who became arrogant, complacent, and the mistakes pile on and on. Take General Electric. Once considered untouchable. Mistakes can be made by moving into industries at the wrong time or not exiting them soon enough, etc.can Amazon continue on and on as an untouchable conglomerate? We’ll see. The future will be lightning speed as we’ve already seen from what I posted earlier. Maybe they get too big, bloated, and slow moving themselves. Maybe someone comes along who simply does it better.

There used to be a little company called General Motors with the saying “so goes General Motors goes the country”. Even they were brought to their knees.

Steve jobs wrote a fascinating peice about how big companies stifle innovation. The people who skyrocket up the ranks often come from producing efficiency and lowering costs. The other common group of people to rise to senior executive leadership are sales/marketing who make it rain. The innovation is stifled as operations and sales people start driving the business priorities with what they know I instead of Product/R&d folks. They keep doing what got them success in the past and it’s too risky for bigger companies to shift from their cash cows.

We see it time and time again. You see innovation dry up and die in companies that lock down the market: Kodak. IBM. Xerox.

Last edited by Thatsright19; 04-16-2018 at 02:31 PM..

Old 04-18-2018, 06:43 AM

2,422 posts, read 1,325,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Corporations will become more powerful than countries. (heck, i feel like they are already!)

Look how everyone is bending over backwards for the 2nd HQ of Amazon. There is a city in Georgia that will rename itself Amazon if Amazon decides to set-up shop there.
Welcome to our "glorious" past.

"The business of America is business! -Calvin Coolidge, 1925

Old 04-18-2018, 07:01 AM

2,422 posts, read 1,325,253 times
Because the services offered by firms like Google and Facebook are free (or low cost in the case of Amazon), tech companies have escaped the predatory pricing concerns typically triggered by anticompetitive high prices which is the typical concern when considering the regulation of monopolies. However, consumers may incur non-monetary costs when they use these services, handing personal data (even if you do so knowingly).

Some staggering stats underscore the reality: Facebook owns about 75 percent of mobile social traffic while Google owns 80 percent of the search engine market. Ninety percent of the world’s smartphones rely on Apple or Google operating systems and about 50 percent of all money spent online goes through Amazon.

While consumers may benefit from low or below-cost prices, these prices may not necessarily serve as a good indicator of consumer welfare in the future.

The question hanging over today’s antitrust debates is whether startling deals for consumers, from Gmail to cut-price organic food, are the happy by-products of innovation or the foundations of formidable barriers to competition, which will ultimately harm consumers. The past does not paint a promising picture.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:30 AM

20,947 posts, read 15,267,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I don't think of Amazon or Wal-Mart as industries, because they don't produce anything. They are just a retail channel. I have always used mail order for major shopping. Fifty years ago it was Sears, Wards, Radio Shack and JC Whitney, though Eico, Heath and Dyna got my business too. Now I use Amazon because they scour manufacturers and put their entire inventory in a search engine with pictures and tech specs. I just ordered a single gang 4-speaker banana plug faceplate, four single gang single speaker face plates, and 24 banana plugs from Amazon last week. Where else would I find them? Hours of google, or one stop at Amazon? Last month I ordered 100 microscope slides with glass covers and a selection of vital stains. Where else would I find them? Rite-Aid sure wouldn't stock them. For that matter, Rite-Aid has removed all the things from inventory that a man might be interested in, so I don't go there any more.

Sears decided to abandon a mail order empire, then quit serving their brick and mortar customers. There is no store near me, and no way to exchange the supposed lifetime warranty on Craftsman tools. Fortunately, Oregon Tool is near me, but if you live in a major city you are SOL for a convenient place to find quality tools. If Amazon ever starts treating customers the way Sears treated me, I will give them the same treatment in return. I don't even look at Sears any more if I want to buy something. It's a waste of time.
Amazon does tons of other things. AWS is immensely profitable and sophisticated, and sort of flies under the radar with regard to the general public. They also develop products - Echos, Fire TVs, tablets, etc. They're a content creator with TV shows. There are other projects like Mechanical Turk most people don't know about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or