Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 07:53 PM

7,826 posts, read 11,742,788 times

Advertisements

A lot of people missed the bull market due to timing - many are millenials just barely making it due to low paying jobs and student loans, others have had debts from the last recession that they are still paying off so no extra income for the luxury of investing, some don't have that much extra money after the high cost of living if they have kids, single income etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 08:19 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,704,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaBull13 View Post
This topic is about the stock market. You replied to a post about the stock market.
Nothing to do with housing. Let's stay on topic.

Other than that, your statement is quite false.
Not really false. I’m 26 with a net worth of 175k but will
Never be a homeowner because of the cost of living.

Old 11-08-2017, 05:11 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,520,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
If you werent born pre 1970 where I live you’re locked out of housing because it rises faster than the sp 500.
Out of your 2,000+ posts I'd guess at least 80% contain a statement that can easily proven false, just like this one.

Of course San Francisco is expensive, but there are plenty of Americans under age 47 that can afford a million dollar home, and plenty of them are doing exactly that in San Francisco.

Quote:
You will never be a homeowner because you refuse to move to a location where your salary matches the cost of living, and you constantly manufacture nonsensical excuses for being unable to do so when it really comes down to lifestyle choice. Personal finance requires some choices and tradeoffs, and you choose to limit your ability to own a home because you insist on remaining in a high COLA area.

"not really false" only if you can prove there is nobody under age 47 who owns a home in the Bay Area.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:20 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,159,087 times
Quote:
Homeownership is not a measure of success nor something someone should blindly aspire to. You already have a net worth far in excess of others in your age group so other than your self-defeating attitude, you appear to be doing quite well.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:24 AM

27,377 posts, read 28,451,420 times
Quote:
Like others said, you can certainly afford a home in a lower cost of living area.

In fact, a down payment of $150k will afford you a pretty sizable home (3000-4000 square feet) in a lot of metro areas.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Like others said, you can certainly afford a home in a lower cost of living area.

In fact, a down payment of $150k will afford you a pretty sizable home (3000-4000 square feet) in many metro areas.
I can buy in Somalia too but neither would do me much good.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:28 AM

388 posts, read 534,429 times
Quote:
It is false because age has nothing to do with it
Unless you are talking specifically about retirement communities, when you buy a house, there is no clause that says you must be this age to buy this house.

Anyone regardless of age can buy a house if they have the funds to. A millionaire teenager can do it. In the same token, many people born before the 1970 year you specified cannot buy into the market. Age has NOTHING to do it it. Money/price does.

Your problem is that you live in a high CoL and constantly give teenage-like excuses on why you choose not to move. You rather complain and not do anything about it (similar to FreeMkt)

Again, this topic isn't about housing. It's about the bull market. Similar to FreeMkt, you seem to enjoy deviating the original topic of threads, regardless of what they are, to your specific personal problem even though you refuse to do anything about it.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

In fact, a down payment of $150k will afford you a pretty sizable home (3000-4000 square feet) in a lot of metro areas.
Who needs that much house? All I need is 2 bedrooms in a Place that can have crime but nice weather. Crime can gentrify but ****ty weather is forever.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaBull13 View Post
It is false because age has nothing to do with it
Unless you are talking specifically about retirement communities, when you buy a house, there is no clause that says you must be this age to buy this house.

Anyone regardless of age can buy a house if they have the funds to. A millionaire teenager can do it. In the same token, many people born before the 1970 year you specified cannot buy into the market. Age has NOTHING to do it it. Money/price does.

Your problem is that you live in a high CoL and constantly give teenage-like excuses on why you choose not to move. You rather complain and not do anything about it (similar to FreeMkt)

Again, this topic isn't about housing. It's about the bull market. Similar to FreeMkt, you seem to enjoy deviating the original topic of threads, regardless of what they are, to your specific personal problem even though you refuse to do anything about it.
It is on topic because I used the bull market to get where i
am
But it doesn’t help because the bull market is a wimp compared to
Housing.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:39 AM

698 posts, read 564,904 times
Quote:
I can buy in Somalia too but neither would do me much good.
You seem to be determined that NOTHING will do you much good. Defeatist, thou hast defeated thyself.

As for the bull market, it began in March of 2009. When many were hiding under the covers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics