Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2017, 04:59 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaBull13 View Post
It's much easier to do nothing but stay in mommy's basement and complain.

Also... congrats in "permabearizing" yet another thread. (Phrase taken from another poster)
He should change his name to PermaWhiner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Most of those working age people not employed are unemployed because many are no longer employable by todays standards. Many do not want to work either. As they are working off the books but show up as unemployed statistically.
They can't pass drug testing ,background checks , credit checks and even simple math tests required to even be considered for anything but a low paying mom and pop store job
Yeah, I agree with all of that. My point was it adds up to a serious social problem.

Old 11-12-2017, 05:05 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
wow you hit the nail on the head with that one.

My late husband worked for the oil refinery in Philadelphia. One of the few remaining jobs where all you need was a H.S. diploma and the pay started out at 47K plus great benefits. many of the guys/gals made over 70K with shift differential and holiday pay. since refinaries run 24/7 all year, everyone works rotating shift.

I asked him once why if they were only hiring 60 operators would they have to interview about 600 people. seemed cruel to me. He said because 90% would be weeded out (no pun intended) 'cause they could not pass the drug test.
My old company has been hiring for years. Unless they are stealing best of breed employees from competitors many of those unemployed are unemployed for a reason. We are down to the bottom of the barrel .

MANY WERE CLEANESED OUT IN THE GREAT RECESSION. they are those marginal employees no one wants .

Old 11-12-2017, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Yeah, I agree with all of that. My point was it adds up to a serious social problem.
The drug usage ,especially pills and coke are out of control by potential emloyees of all ages and levels. The company has an old style biilboard out front advertising for help on all levels besides all the employment sites .

The hired a few hundred and had to weed through a few thousand

Old 11-12-2017, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
and that's why God invented a p/t job.

Dude you are 26. you are full of crap. If you don't have a house it's because you don't want one.

You have a computer just like me. go on zillow, realtor, redfin etc. find a starter house and purchase it. there were house you could afford. NO they were not the biggest or the best, bunch of foreclosures.

You are the POSTER BOY of the millennial sterotype and the sad thing is you have more means than many truly poor folks.

you've got 4 pages on this thread with advice on how to move out of your mama's house.

talk to the hand.
Actually, he probably really can't afford a house in the Bay Area if a good chunk of that money is in retirment plans such as 401ks.

However, it's not like his situation is soooo freaking unique. The vast majority of other 26 year olds in the Bay Area don't own their own homes/condos either...and the vast majority of them don't have 180k put away, even if living with their parents (to Perma's credit, at least he saves serious $$). Heck, most people in the Bay Area of any age. can't afford to buy a place here, let alone people in their 20s. My doctor friend is 48 and only owns a studio condo (admittedly a somewhat swanky studio in SF, but a studio nonetheless, with no parking space, I might add)

If he saves $3000 a month and gets a fairly conservative 6% return on investment, he'll have $391k in 4 years. If he saves $4000 a month, at 6% he'll have $446k at 30. Millennial whiner stereotype? Indeed.

Old 11-12-2017, 05:30 AM

294 posts, read 264,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Technically, the dollar bill (federal reserve note) is not a dollar, but an IOU denominated in dollars.
A unit dollar, pursuant to the Coinage Act of 1792 is a silver coin with no less than 0.77 ounces of silver.

But you are correct regarding the relative trade value of a paper note versus a silver dollar. One need only look at the quaint prices of the "MONOPOLY" game to get a feel for prices in the first quarter of the 20th century.

Based on the 147.4 million ounces of gold bullion allegedly stored in Fort Knox depository, coining it all would only amount to 2.9 billion dollars (as defined in the aforementioned act). Which means that the current 18+ trillion dollar bill eCONomy would need to have a price adjustment.
Let's say 6,431 : 1 devaluation.

A million "dollar bill" mansion = $155.49 US (approaching "PARK PLACE" in rental cost!)
A 50,000 frn upscale automobile = $7.77 US (amazing, what automation can do)

Working in reverse, a penny ($0.01) would have the equivalent buying power of $64.31 (2017).
Making "a dollar a day" would be equivalent to $6,431 - a fine amount.

Of course, this system would break down due to the scarcity of precious metal coinage.
Dividing $2.9 billion gold dollars among 320 million people computes to $9.06 per capita.
And if the economy tries to grow faster than the increase in bullion, deflation will knock down prices even more. Work more - get paid less. OUCH.
Interesting how you laid that out.

Old 11-12-2017, 05:30 AM

Quote:
He should change his name to PermaWhiner.
Like our other resident complainer freemkt they don't understand that being able to buy a home is not the key to accumulating wealth it is the by product of having the resources in the first place.

Rolls owners tend to be wealthier because they are wealthier not because having a rolls created their wealth

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-12-2017 at 06:23 AM..

Old 11-12-2017, 06:20 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Ironic because people like Steve jobs made my life extremely limited
Steve Jobs did not invent irrational anxiety issues, he created a company along with Steve Wozniak to sell a computer.

Old 11-12-2017, 08:08 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,819 times
Quote:
Actually, he probably really can't afford a house in the Bay Area if a good chunk of that money is in retirment plans such as 401ks.

However, it's not like his situation is soooo freaking unique. The vast majority of other 26 year olds in the Bay Area don't own their own homes/condos either...and the vast majority of them don't have 180k put away, even if living with their parents (to Perma's credit, at least he saves serious $$). Heck, most people in the Bay Area of any age. can't afford to buy a place here, let alone people in their 20s. My doctor friend is 48 and only owns a studio condo (admittedly a somewhat swanky studio in SF, but a studio nonetheless, with no parking space, I might add)

If he saves $3000 a month and gets a fairly conservative 6% return on investment, he'll have $391k in 4 years. If he saves $4000 a month, at 6% he'll have $446k at 30. Millennial whiner stereotype? Indeed.
And you know what? I’d still live like a hermit with a **** poor quality of life. Without a home I’d literally have nothing of note to my name.

Old 11-12-2017, 08:21 AM

complaining about it is not going to help reach goal.

Having a goal of owning something without a plan for doing so if you can't ,is just a wish not a goal. Making it in to a goal requires action,not complaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics