U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you for or against cashless society without banknotes?
Against cashless society 142 79.33%
Undecided 9 5.03%
For cashless society 28 15.64%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 01:20 PM

3,471 posts, read 1,986,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtocolumbia View Post
I never used my Visa debit card in stores, bars, restaurants etc. Only used Visa online and for large purchases in thousands of currency units, but one day I was in a bar in Columbia, SC and the girl I was with asked me if I would buy cocktails in this particular bar, so I did and she told me I could pay with a Visa, so I did and the next day there was an extra unauthorized charge on my Visa. In another case I slept over at a woman's place and after a week I got $2000 charged to my Visa, I immediately knew it was her. Yet she also stole $50 cash from my wallet. Cash is gone while I was able to reverse the large charge on my card. It is controversial, sometimes cash is better, sometimes card is safer, but I will fight hard to use cash everywhere and forever and never use a card except on rare occasions. I think a good mix of both is best choice. Oh, and how would drug dealers sell drugs and prostitutes would charge a credit card and risk a chargeback?
Lol, maybe you shouldn't follow sleazy cocktail waitresses, or sleep at a sleazy woman's house!!!

Sounds like they saw you coming!

As for OP s original question, I like my cash too. It limits what i buy, ibe been known to go overboard at the grocery or department store when I use a card. Cash keeps me in line.

Also cash, unless stolen as in this example, can't be fraudulently charged as in the case of c.c or accounts drained as in debit cards.

I'm amazed at the number of people who use a visa debit card to pay for their rooms at the hotel. We don't skim, scam or anything, but when traveling I have had my c.c compromised. I know it was when I traveled as that card was only used for travelingout of the area. I got a call from the c.c companies asking if I had charged two plane tickets to Tahiti and Bora Bora. I said heck no, but I WISH. ( I've always wanted to go there !) It was compromised at a gas station or a hotel that summer, it was a new card and only used there.

I also refuse to let my card out of my sight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 01:59 PM

326 posts, read 192,583 times
Cards are not perfect and not safe solution, with both ass saving (when reversing stolen funds) and unfair chargebacks attached. Plus even worse, when I purchase something from overseas, using a card, (since 2009) I get charged a foreign transaction fee, which is about 3% to 10%. Just recently I purchased seeds and got charged for seeds plus shipping and then a few days later Visa Corporation places another Big Brother charge on my card (USING THE SELLER'S NAME!!!!!! as usual.....), for allowing me to keep on using their imperfect solution (overseas). The seller does not have a clue, as usual and Visa is quite secretive about these extra charges, yet they are disclosed somewhere in small font and you have to dig deep for it.

Regarding cash, only carry as much cash as you feel comfy to lose. Large transucktions can be paid by a bank wire, upfront if you happen to trust the seller, or upon delivery, if they happen to trust you. These days 99,99999% do not pay with bank wire or cash anymore, not even a check. Everyone uses either a Credit Card (Debit, Savings Card) or Paypal. Most 99% buyers are honest enough to not place unfair chargebacks. Unfair chargebacks are not fraudulent enough. They are placed if your goods arrive very late or never arrive and the seller is a sucker to act quick. Yet fraudulent chargebacks are placed when goods arrive and the buyer wants to keep the goods without paying for them. Thus to the sellers cash is better and to the buyers credit-debit is better. Although there are buyers who prefer to pay with cash and are very well respected and cared for that.

To those who find my Engrish funny, - I speak your language, and a few others, and I doubt you speak mine.

Old 12-22-2017, 01:09 PM

7,143 posts, read 5,950,516 times
I have my debit cards in ATM mode only.. a max of $300/day can be withdrawn, and only at ATM machines.. the limit for debit withdraws is zero. My wells fargo card is actually an ATM card only. They won't be getting rid of cash anytime soon because it benefits the rich as much as it benefits the little guy, and the rich is who they care about.

Old 12-24-2017, 03:37 AM

24,738 posts, read 26,803,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
What is the paranoia some of you have about the government or banks knowing what you buy?

Unless you're engaged in criminal activity, why do you think either one even cares?
Just because YOU don't care doesn't mean other people with nefarious intent don't.

I see the surveillance propaganda has worked wonders on the populace. Innocent until proven guilty is seen as quaint and outdated. That's just how the power elite want us to think.

Old 12-24-2017, 03:41 AM

24,738 posts, read 26,803,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
There will never be a cashless society.
I would love to believe you're right, but I really don't. But to maintain this state of affairs, we're going to have to fight for it.

I guarantee you the agenda of the global elite is to eliminate cash and to have a microchipped population with a single world currency. They're out for total control of all aspects of our lives.

Old 12-24-2017, 11:19 AM

11,057 posts, read 11,465,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
What is the paranoia some of you have about the government or banks knowing what you buy?

Unless you're engaged in criminal activity, why do you think either one even cares?
I like the idea of being able to control what people buy. With electronic transactions, we could keep alcoholics from buying alcohol. We could keep obese people from buying food. We could keep people from buying used cars that don't meet current safety standards. Plus, being able to take 2% of every transaction in the country, like Grandma selling her figurine collection, would be immensely profitable.

Old 12-24-2017, 11:21 AM

22,688 posts, read 28,576,098 times
how are you supposed to buy illegal items without cash?

Old 12-24-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Cards are not perfect and not safe solution, with both ass saving (when reversing stolen funds) and unfair chargebacks attached. Plus even worse, when I purchase something from overseas, using a card, (since 2009) I get charged a foreign transaction fee, which is about 3% to 10%. Just recently I purchased seeds and got charged for seeds plus shipping and then a few days later Visa Corporation places another Big Brother charge on my card (USING THE SELLER'S NAME!!!!!! as usual.....), for allowing me to keep on using their imperfect solution (overseas). The seller does not have a clue, as usual and Visa is quite secretive about these extra charges, yet they are disclosed somewhere in small font and you have to dig deep for it.
Let me guess: you bank at a megabank. The currency exchange fee from my Credit Union Visa ATM card is 1%, with no other fees.

I keep telling people the megabanks are out of control, but people keep giving them their money. I bet they told you it was a free checking account.

Old 12-24-2017, 05:59 PM

326 posts, read 192,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Let me guess: you bank at a megabank. The currency exchange fee from my Credit Union Visa ATM card is 1%, with no other fees.

I keep telling people the megabanks are out of control, but people keep giving them their money. I bet they told you it was a free checking account.
I don't know what a megabank is, I am poor. All bank accounts used to be free, once a minimum deposit amount is kept in it. When I opened a bank account that's what the deal was - keep 500 in it and no fee. Not anymore. Bankers (increasingly being useless losers and frauds) are happy to charge us more and more and they even have paid trolls promoting the deal as if it's a good deal to pay them more for nothing extra in return.

With electronic transactions, the poop-eating "elite" could keep people from buying food, unless they pay you a ransom. Also you can track the movement of the sheeple.

Old 12-24-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
I don't know what a megabank is, I am poor. All bank accounts used to be free, once a minimum deposit amount is kept in it. When I opened a bank account that's what the deal was - keep 500 in it and no fee. Not anymore. Bankers (increasingly being useless losers and frauds) are happy to charge us more and more and they even have paid trolls promoting the deal as if it's a good deal to pay them more for nothing extra in return.

With electronic transactions, the poop-eating "elite" could keep people from buying food, unless they pay you a ransom. Also you can track the movement of the sheeple.
Welcome to America. We have things called credit unions. They are like a bank, but are nonprofit. They offer a wide range of online banking services, and have a nationwide network of ATM machines that allow no-fee access to your cash. Because they are nonprofit, they don't bleed their customers with fees for everything, and return the money in service. Generally they pay higher interest on CDs.

A megabank is a huge institution like Bank of America, US Bank, Wells Fargo, Citibank, etc. They have billions of dollars in assets, so they skin their customers at every opportunity because they want more. They can legally steal from you because you agreed to it in the fine print when you opened your account. Google Credit Union (your city) and you will find many more reasonable alternatives. If you spend money offshore, pick one that offers good fund transfer rates. My credit union Visa debit card charges me $1 for every $100 I spend in EU countries. I don't know what the transfer fee for rubles or yuan would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics