Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 03:44 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,913,234 times

Advertisements

Just going over my insurance for health, car and other needs. Why so pricey and gain nothing in return? I mean for a single person, the rates range 250-400 a month depending on the coverage. Really? 12k a year to stay alive? and doesnt cover 100%.. so why so much and gain nothing in return. Thats a car payment or a house payment. If i pay you x amount a month, i expect something i can use and not get charge for it over and over. Like car insurance, once you use it, you lose it.. Honestly, Sick and tired of paying in to a system and get nothing in return but another bill for more money. Any Insights?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2017, 04:14 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times
I feel your pain, as I'm sure many others do.

I'm happy not to make any claims, but I would like to pay as little as possible for coverage. Only buy insurance that we really need and get the highest deductibles we can live with. Drive cars into the ground so that collision/comp aren't needed for most of their life.

Health insurance can be a tough nut to crack. I get it through my work for peanuts, thankfully. If we had to pay for it the cost would be around $40k just for the premiums. Looks like I'll have to keep working, haha!

Last edited by hikernut; 11-16-2017 at 04:23 PM..

Old 11-16-2017, 05:14 PM

9,848 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
I feel your pain, as I'm sure many others do.

I'm happy not to make any claims, but I would like to pay as little as possible for coverage. Only buy insurance that we really need and get the highest deductibles we can live with. Drive cars into the ground so that collision/comp aren't needed for most of their life.
Same here. Health care ministry instead of health insurance. Term life instead of whole life.

Old 11-16-2017, 06:07 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,247,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Just going over my insurance for health, car and other needs. Why so pricey and gain nothing in return? I mean for a single person, the rates range 250-400 a month depending on the coverage. Really? 12k a year to stay alive? and doesnt cover 100%.. so why so much and gain nothing in return. Thats a car payment or a house payment. If i pay you x amount a month, i expect something i can use and not get charge for it over and over. Like car insurance, once you use it, you lose it.. Honestly, Sick and tired of paying in to a system and get nothing in return but another bill for more money. Any Insights?
Who told you people life was going to be inexpensive? Start voting differently and get more politically active if you want some of these things to change.

Frankly, you seem to be missing the bigger picture.

Old 11-16-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Who told you people life was going to be inexpensive? Start voting differently and get more politically active if you want some of these things to change.

Frankly, you seem to be missing the bigger picture.
Doesnt matter who you vote for, they will ALWAYS pick big business over the voters. The day that a politician listens to their voters, be the day it snows in hell.

Bigger picture is paying into a pool and gain nothing in return and no coverage. I kill my insurance plan this year, prefer to just eat up the ER bill then pay somebody 400 a month and only pay 80 percent of the bill, and that is after paying 4k deductible.

Old 11-16-2017, 06:16 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,247,845 times
Quote:
Doesnt matter who you vote for, they will ALWAYS pick big business over the voters. The day that a politician listens to their voters, be the day it snows in hell.

Bigger picture is paying into a pool and gain nothing in return and no coverage. I kill my insurance plan this year, prefer to just eat up the ER bill then pay somebody 400 a month and only pay 80 percent of the bill, and that is after paying 4k deductible.
Dude, you still have no clue. Your insurance costs are relatively modest compared to many others. Deal with it.

Old 11-16-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Dude, you still have no clue. Your insurance costs are relatively modest compared to many others. Deal with it.
Fill me in.. 400 for single, i can only see it getting higher with a family plan. What do you get in return other than the bill that they refuse to cover? and yet still pay into the pool. Sorry, if im paying 20k a year in to a company and still get a bill for something they are suppose to pay for, time to do a reform. I expect a reach around or something.. make it worth my time.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:05 PM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
250-400 a month doesn't equal 12k a year......

Don't buy insurance, save the whole $4800 but just don't have a heart attack!

Old 11-16-2017, 08:24 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
Quote:
so why so much and gain nothing in return.
That's the nature of insurance, for every 10 people that get nothing in return there is someone that is getting something in return that is a lot more than what they put in. We don't pay to come out ahead or break even, we pay to avoid a catastrophic loss.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:35 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,699,161 times
Is the $400 a month a major med policy or is it a policy that covers some doctor visits, exams, etc and then you have co-pays and deductibles for those visits? If it is not a major med policy then check into them because they are a lot cheaper. You stated you never use your health insurance anyway so major med policies are meant for people like you who claim they never get sick nor need to go to the doctor and are willing to pay for those few times they do need to see a doctor. Major med policies will protect you only from major catastrophes that could end up in the tens of thousands of dollars where you end up in the hospital. So it is only protecting you from going bankrupt due to a major occurrence and then you pay full price for everything else that is not major like any doctor visits, tests, xrays, etc where you are not hospitalized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics