Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2018, 09:01 AM

106,644 posts, read 108,790,719 times

Advertisements

if you are not succeeding than no you haven't found a way . you may be trying or hoping but nope, if that is your status you still have not found a way then ,.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 09:13 AM

1,803 posts, read 1,240,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
We have brought in a huge army of skilled technical people. They will come from India and other countries and are willing to work cheap. Because the process is so easy, Americans find it undesirable to enter many of these fields. It is a well known story. Americans need to work cheap or face being bumped out of jobs. The jobs are taken over by aliens working cheap or even more often the jobs go overseas.

After Sputnik, Congress looked at the sad state of technical and scientific education in the US and started to make changes. Those initiatives have long since been forgotten. It takes a great many years to be at the forefront of scientific and technical knowledge. In the sciences that can mean 4 years of college, 4-5 of graduate school, and another couple of years working as a post doc. All of those years are life in poverty. At that point only the luckiest and the best make it to a secure or even semi-secure job.
Yep. But this kind of contradicts your prior statement that only the bottom half will struggle.

I know IT people who were making 125k in the Bay Area in 1995 in senior level individual contributor positions. 23 years later, even just adjusted for inflation, that salary should be close to 200k. That hasn’t happened due to outsourcing and h1bs.

There are fewer and fewer opportunities for college educated people to get ahead, and more and more college educated people to compete with.

It amazes me how successful people won’t admit there was some element of luck to their success. Hell, being born to college educated parents is the biggest lucky break you get get.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:26 AM

1,803 posts, read 1,240,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
Nope. Wages are down for the bottom 99%, not just the bottom 50%. This obviously includes Americans of various skill levels including the highly skilled.
And its self reinforcing. If those in the 75th percentile have no disposable income, that means every industry that services Americans with disposable income will suffer.

The highly skilled are getting killed almost as bad as the unskilled in this economy.
Fewer and fewer people have the opportunity to succeed.

I’m 55 and have had more success than I ever could ever have dreamed of. It wasn’t all luck - I was valedictorian of my high school class, graduated from an elite school, found a good career.

But there’s no way in hell the path I took in the 80’s would be available to me today. There’s more luck needed today than in the past. Things change so quickly, people can’t just sit in a job for 30 years and collect a pension at 55. Many more good decisions are needed to survive. I’m not sure why my generation has such a hard time admitting this.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:31 AM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
then you don't have medicare and a supplement because there are no supplements that cover it . that sounds like an advantage plan .which plan ? because even advantage plans usually have it on drug coverage
I have a medicare supplement and have no deductibles and no co-pays for medicare covered services and no prescription drug 'gap'.

But, I won't ask you to take my word for it: https://www.calpers.ca.gov/docs/2018...e-coverage.pdf

Old 02-07-2018, 11:05 AM

106,644 posts, read 108,790,719 times
these special gov't plans are not the same as standard lettered medigap supplement plans offered to the public .there are no standard public medigap supplements that cover the doughnut hole . even the highest level fully comprehensive F-PLAN does not cover it

Old 02-07-2018, 11:35 AM

6,631 posts, read 4,298,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
This type of comment really bothers me. You see these types of general statements all over this forum.

Many of us are 'succeeding' but we are still doing horribly. What is 'succeeding'? IMO even those in the 70th or 80th percentile of income will be broke in this economy. This is a systemic problem that affects everyone and everything.
There are many people doing extremely well. The gap between the poor (even the middle class) and those at the top is getting wider and wider.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:36 AM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
these special gov't plans are not the same as standard lettered medigap supplement plans offered to the public .there are no standard public medigap supplements that cover the doughnut hole . even the highest level fully comprehensive F-PLAN does not cover it
I understand that, I was just trying to demonstrate that they do exist, in California 1.4 million seniors are covered by a PERS medicare supplement or medicare advantage plan.

Old 02-07-2018, 01:37 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,235,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Not really. There are well over 60 million Americans living in households with 6 figure or greater incomes. That number is increasing at a pretty good rate and is likely to take a big jump with the predicted upcoming inflation in wages.
About 20 years ago I worked for a global investments company in Boston. We had already planned for this bifurcation of the former American Middle Class.

The upper part of it was renamed the Mass Affluent -- those earning 100k household income in the 1990s(probably more now), and with one or more professional jobs in the household. These people would account for about 40% of the citizen households by population and represented the new "Middle Class." This group constituted our primary target market.

The only other group we would ever discuss was the "Top Tier," comprising High Net Worth and Ultra High Net Worth households. About 10% of the population.

I remember asking about the other 50% of America -- were we going to market our goods and services to them? No one ever answered. Crickets.

This problem has been well known to the leadership class in the US for decades. Half of the population would be living a Just-Scraping-By lifestyle. IMHO this represents a fundamental change from the America I knew in the 1970s and 1980s. In those decades and back to WW2, what I would have called the Working Class and the Poor totaled closer to 20%, perhaps 30% at worst.

Unfortunately, I think 50% is the new normal.

Old 02-07-2018, 01:49 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I understand that, I was just trying to demonstrate that they do exist, in California 1.4 million seniors are covered by a PERS medicare supplement or medicare advantage plan.

...which is why California is on the brink of government collapse from all the unfunded pension liability. In a race to default with Illinois. Not a race I'd be in any hurry to win. When the tech stock windfall tax revenue gravy train ends, it's going to get ugly.

Old 02-07-2018, 02:06 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
About 20 years ago I worked for a global investments company in Boston. We had already planned for this bifurcation of the former American Middle Class.

The upper part of it was renamed the Mass Affluent -- those earning 100k household income in the 1990s(probably more now), and with one or more professional jobs in the household. These people would account for about 40% of the citizen households by population and represented the new "Middle Class." This group constituted our primary target market.

The only other group we would ever discuss was the "Top Tier," comprising High Net Worth and Ultra High Net Worth households. About 10% of the population.

I remember asking about the other 50% of America -- were we going to market our goods and services to them? No one ever answered. Crickets.

This problem has been well known to the leadership class in the US for decades. Half of the population would be living a Just-Scraping-By lifestyle. IMHO this represents a fundamental change from the America I knew in the 1970s and 1980s. In those decades and back to WW2, what I would have called the Working Class and the Poor totaled closer to 20%, perhaps 30% at worst.

Unfortunately, I think 50% is the new normal.
Except it's not even 50%. It might be 50% in the high COL regions where you have the high concentration of educated people who create intellectual property. In Massachusetts, 50% of adult households have a college education. West Virginia is 19.2%. Look at the state rankings by education level. In easily half the country, you have little pockets of affluence around the college towns and the rest with pretty much no shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics