Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 07:06 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times

Advertisements

Not having "savings" for retirement is not a big deal if you have a lot of equity in a home, a defined pension, and wait until full social security age to retire. The best plan is to have that and a 401K and other investments but in some areas here on the west coast people are going to retire with enough home equity to move to less expensive areas, pay cash for a smaller house and still have a few hundred thousand left over. The lifetime renters with no pension and only SS to retire on are the ones that need a lot of savings, but the least likely to have it. When this happened 10-20 years ago medicaid and subsidized housing would take care of them, but the numbers will far exceed the availability in the next few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 07:08 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Some people fall into the rent creep where rents just go up and up while their income doesn't.
I know a guy who runs what is basically a flophouse with 20 rooms rented by the week. Place is basically a dump. Says he struggles to keep the lights on but can't really increase the rent because nobody living there can afford it and it's better to have some money coming in than none at all. Sure, this might be an extreme example but landlords have bills too which keep increasing like everyone else's.

Old 11-20-2017, 07:20 AM

106,669 posts, read 108,833,673 times
as an investor in real estate i expect a profit each year whether my expenses go up or not .

when you have a job and the market place and business allows for raise's , should only those who's expenses went up get that raise ?

Old 11-20-2017, 08:12 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
The state basically takes care of older folk who retire broke. Heck, not just retired people either. I know some people working at Walmart and other low wage jobs that get HUD, food stamps, medicaid, etc. It's really the middle class that gets the shaft in this country.
so maybe they have the right idea and we (general term) should spend down our assets to get the free stuff?

Last Saturday, my church gave out 2700 thanksgiving dinners at various low income centers in southern NJ. I volunteered with the distribution and saw the face of misery.

I'll take getting the "shaft" any day because sorry that is not how I want to live.

Old 11-20-2017, 08:14 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Great watch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmtjJVC_niI

Some of the facts in this video were shocking... half of Americans have less than $10,000 saved, a third have no retirement at all

I believe many people fall into the lifestyle creep issue as they earn more income, buying bigger homes, cars etc. that really cut into their savings. And they do all this on credit with the thought that they will never lose their current income or they will easily be able to get another one - and when they don't they are in a bind.
Some people will not, and cannot, ever have retirement savings because they don't earn enough money after paying for necessities.

Half having less than $10k is meaningless, unless you know the ages. If a 28 year old has $10k saved for retirement, I'd say that kid is on his way to retiring as a millionaire! But if he's 48, he will be too dependent on his Social Security. But like I said, many people can't save anything, or much, for retirement, because they don't have expendable income.

Old 11-20-2017, 08:22 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
I have no broad statistics and am personally well funded through investments for retirement but talk with a dozen or so seniors that have no real savings at the gyms I use. Their support come from limited SS, or a variety of modest retirement plans. They make use of Medicaid, Snap, and other support programs. They live in a assorted low cost housing often shared with family or others.

Surprisingly these citizens are able to qualify for elective medical procedures, participate in programs that provide clothing, food, and even some cosmetic dental work that those with just a small percentage more in income from savings cannot budget for.

There is more than one way to survive your senior years, some more comfortable than others, but clearly many things are better than many describe.

Old 11-20-2017, 08:24 AM

106,669 posts, read 108,833,673 times
there were times in my life i struggled to save but i filled the gap by getting more jobs to enable the savings to continue .

it is not always just a question of not having enough income . it is a question of what do you do about not having enough income.

my buddies i grew up with in the projects are still poor . they did nothing about it all these decades . i begged them to go with me when i went to a trade school . they rather hang out , work menial jobs and just drift along as is . now they complain they have nothing .

Old 11-20-2017, 08:26 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
so maybe they have the right idea and we (general term) should spend down our assets to get the free stuff?

Last Saturday, my church gave out 2700 thanksgiving dinners at various low income centers in southern NJ. I volunteered with the distribution and saw the face of misery.

I'll take getting the "shaft" any day because sorry that is not how I want to live.
Because you have more ambition than that. Some people have no aspirations in life other than to work at Walmart, play video and smoke weed in their HUD apartment. The flophouse my friend runs that I mentioned earlier is full of people like that.

Old 11-20-2017, 08:31 AM

698 posts, read 567,826 times
In the US, we got rid of unions, so the middle class can't afford to pay the taxes that would have funded their own welfare over time. Only the wealthy can afford to pick up that tab, and of course, they don't want to and own enough politicians to make such an outcome quite unlikely. Welcome to the real world where the corporatocracy that panders to you is also picking your pocket daily.

Old 11-20-2017, 08:39 AM

388 posts, read 536,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Not having "savings" for retirement is not a big deal if you have a lot of equity in a home, a defined pension, and wait until full social security age to retire. The best plan is to have that and a 401K and other investments but in some areas here on the west coast people are going to retire with enough home equity to move to less expensive areas, pay cash for a smaller house and still have a few hundred thousand left over. The lifetime renters with no pension and only SS to retire on are the ones that need a lot of savings, but the least likely to have it. When this happened 10-20 years ago medicaid and subsidized housing would take care of them, but the numbers will far exceed the availability in the next few years.

A "defined pension" is retirement savings

Last edited by TampaBull13; 11-20-2017 at 08:39 AM.. Reason: formatting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics