U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2017, 03:51 PM

3,335 posts, read 922,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
no one ever said retiring was a right . it is still only a privilege for those who have the resources to live without working or count on tax payers to assist if you qualify . .
I think old age should be considered a disability, in a society with so much age discrimination. I doubt I could get jobs for the rest of my life, even if I wanted to.

I have adjusted ok to not working though.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 04:03 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,984,215 times
The problem is lack of focus on net worth which should be started at a young age and monthly reviewed through out life.

Old 11-20-2017, 06:50 PM

5,097 posts, read 1,455,542 times
I gotta laugh at the idea that being broke is a goal in retirement so you can get "free stuff". Fact of the matter is being broke sucks. I pity people in that circumstance.

Old 11-20-2017, 07:10 PM

1,953 posts, read 753,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
The state basically takes care of older folk who retire broke. Heck, not just retired people either. I know some people working at Walmart and other low wage jobs that get HUD, food stamps, medicaid, etc. It's really the middle class that gets the shaft in this country.
You cannot be serious.

Those folks getting HUD and whatnot are FAR worse off than you are. Medicaid is not all its cracked up to be, nor is Medicare for that matter. They still have to pay, and they have to pay for the coverage as well. Plus nearly every clinic I have ever gone to classifies themselves as a "hospital" so they can charge you higher fees - the effect is that you now have to meet a HOSPITAL deductible which is $1200 instead of the "regular doctor visit" deductible that is only $200.

I'm not saying the middle class has it any better for MEDICAL CARE ALONE - but only AFTER RETIREMENT. On all other fronts they're way way better off and the vast majority have medical insurance through their jobs pre-retirement.

Old 11-20-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VendorDude View Post
Good idea! Just become indigent, elderly, and handicapped, and you're home free.
That's me. I was a software engineer. I did not expect to wind up like this - on disability and with no savings. I had 100K in the bank when I went down. That was RAPIDLY gone to medical expenses. It took almost 10 years to successfully file for disability benefits - because I kept trying to "get back to normal" and there was no doing that.

By the time I finally filed my last application, it was like 2 or 3 days before my eligibility would have entirely expired and I would have ended up on SSDI for like $800 a month.

Trust me. You don't want to end up down here with me.

Old 11-20-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VendorDude View Post
Places like Breitbart and FOX News have made lying through your teeth seem somehow respectable these days. It's become a bit of a hobby for some.
Well apparently I already repped you for something or other. I would rep you again if I could.

Yes. This. I am so sick of lies. There is no such thing as "alternative facts" - those are lies.

When my dad moved in with me I got cable for the first time in something like 20 years. So he could watch his news programs. Then I tuned it to a 24 hour news channel and went to work.

When I came home, my dad gave me the strangest look.

Dad: "Have you ever watched this channel before?"

Me: "No, I turned to it because it's 24 hour news and I thought you would like it."

Dad: "WHEW! That's a relief! I thought you watched this all the time and was worried you'd lost your ever-lovin' mind!"

It was Fox News.

Old 11-20-2017, 08:43 PM

2,787 posts, read 1,522,390 times
Quote:
no one ever said retiring was a right . it is still only a privilege for those who have the resources to live without working or count on tax payers to assist if you qualify . .
What happens when you are too old to climb roofs or lay roads or drive trucks? Just take your life and die? To let those who have worked and paid their taxes to live out their lives in dignity is part of the reason we pay taxes.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:28 PM

5,600 posts, read 4,206,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I think old age should be considered a disability, in a society with so much age discrimination. I doubt I could get jobs for the rest of my life, even if I wanted to.

I have adjusted ok to not working though.
I never encountered age discrimination where I worked. It is a matter of having skills and abilities that are in demand, pretty much at any age. Even after I retired I kept getting calls for good jobs....full time, part time or consulting. Of course, there are jobs where that would not happen. I cannot imagine trying to keep working in a field that required strenuous manual work. Many jobs can wear you out way before retirement age.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:34 PM

5,600 posts, read 4,206,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
What happens when you are too old to climb roofs or lay roads or drive trucks? Just take your life and die? To let those who have worked and paid their taxes to live out their lives in dignity is part of the reason we pay taxes.

There is a big difference between paying taxes and preparing for retirement. Most of us pay taxes, pay into social security and also set aside money for emergencies and for retirement.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:59 PM

11 posts, read 9,172 times
Quote:
Medicaid! there is also ssi as well as the medicare assistance program . medicaid is free ! all it takes is a an income in the 12-15k range or so . in fact seniors who plan for having a low enough taxable income can get free medicaid regardless of assets .
You're getting Medicaid Expansion mixed up with the Aged & Disabled Federal Poverty Level Program.

Under 65, assets don't matter
Over 65, you must be almost dirt poor to qualify for medicaid and/or most medicaid savings programs
Only the Extra Help Program for Seniors Prescriptions allows them to have a little $$ saved.

Also Section 8 has been closed here in California for a decade. This is the largest possible funding of welfare benefits to any one person. The list you have also duplicates itself. It always sounds good on paper but realistically, most poor people cannot qualify for many of those benefits you listed.

Funding for any new low income housing halted a decade ago and each new funding bill introduced is denied by Gov Brown.
Quote:
live off accumulated cash ,roths and the zero capital gains brackets and you can qualify for medicaid while waiting for medicare and still draw a fairly high tax free income .
Sounds about right
Contributing enough to a workplace retirement plan may lower magi enough to qualify for medicaid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or