U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2017, 10:28 PM

11 posts, read 9,180 times

Advertisements

in the video, the kid logs into his ss account and it reads:

"Without changes in 2033, Social Security Trust Fund will only be able to pay about .77 cents for each dollar of scheduled benefits"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 12:34 AM

3,999 posts, read 1,778,146 times
Itís all my fault. I might be the one everybody loves to hate. Iím unemployed! For 10 years now, to take care of a disabled child, who does get SSI. And I get EBT for him & the 2 other kids still at home.

Iíve got absolutely nothing. If I were to have $ to save? This boy of mine could lose his benefits. Total assets, owned by me? $2.

Who-hoo.

Not only that, Iím the real-life ďWoman who lived in a shoe...Ē but Iíve yet to find the state that will compensate me on a per-child basis. Not that Iíve been looking for it. This wasnít supposed to be my life. I had an upper-middle class upbringing. Iím a college educated professional.

Living on $1,200/month with 3 left at home? Thatís 200% below poverty. Nothing is comfy now, nor will it ever be again. If anybody is getting one over on the system, it sure isnít me.

Besides, my other 7 are all either in college or employed & paying into social security more than I or their youngest sibling will ever get out of it.

Old 11-21-2017, 12:41 AM

5,476 posts, read 8,165,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post

Iíve yet to find the state that will compensate me on a per-child basis..
"Compensate you"for WHAT!?!

Deciding to have 10 kids and try (successfully it seems.) To make other people shoulder YOUR responsibility....!?!?

Old 11-21-2017, 01:32 AM

3,999 posts, read 1,778,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
"Compensate you"for WHAT!?!

Deciding to have 10 kids and try (successfully it seems.) To make other people shoulder YOUR responsibility....!?!?
Seriously? Thatís what you got from my post? Did you read the previous pages?

Sooo many people talk like qualifying for assistance is ďeasy streetĒ. Iím actually impressed with posters in this thread, who are adding a voice of reason:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
You cannot be serious.

Those folks getting HUD and whatnot are FAR worse off than you are. Medicaid is not all its cracked up to be, nor is Medicare for that matter. They still have to pay, and they have to pay for the coverage as well. Plus nearly every clinic I have ever gone to classifies themselves as a "hospital" so they can charge you higher fees - the effect is that you now have to meet a HOSPITAL deductible which is $1200 instead of the "regular doctor visit" deductible that is only $200.

I'm not saying the middle class has it any better for MEDICAL CARE ALONE - but only AFTER RETIREMENT. On all other fronts they're way way better off and the vast majority have medical insurance through their jobs pre-retirement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
these threads are amusing to me. first they always end up being a screaming match between "liberals" and "conservatives" so by page 4 there isn't much information being shared.

Next it seems everyone "knows" one of these people who are living "la vida loca" while being on public assistance, now maybe these people are real but I have a feeling that the life style has been "enhanced" for the story.
and you find these stories everywhere. I'm a big Disney fan and hang out of some of those forums, once a year we get the "this person is on welfare and food stamps and goes to Disney 4X's a year" thread.

I wish I knew these people cause like I said I volunteer with poverty once a week in Camden NJ, saturday we had our annual Thanksgiving dinner community outreach. No one we met is living any type of life I would want.
My sarcasm was more a response to the obligatory insinuation that ďbenefitsĒ are increased with every child:

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Having kids opens the floodgates to freebies. Childless adults get just about squat.
And it was supposed to be relevant to the theme of social security viability, as children raised to be productive citizens will contribute to the system vs burden it.

I never applied for a dime of public assistance, until this youngest was diagnosed as disabled. I worked & at times paid over $2000/month in child care for the privilege to do so. Nobody was born on Medicare or Medicaid, all private insurance.

Some of mine are college educated, some are currently in college & 2 are being courted now by universities. Five generations straight now, all college graduates.

Are you so eager to see your prejudice confirmed that you failed to see my post as it applies to the context of this thread?

Old 11-21-2017, 03:25 AM

64,601 posts, read 66,129,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
What happens when you are too old to climb roofs or lay roads or drive trucks? Just take your life and die? To let those who have worked and paid their taxes to live out their lives in dignity is part of the reason we pay taxes.
well if you can make it on social security you are good to go .otherwise you have to make it work as that is all you will have to work with other than any assistance you can get

Old 11-21-2017, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I never encountered age discrimination where I worked. It is a matter of having skills and abilities that are in demand, pretty much at any age. Even after I retired I kept getting calls for good jobs....full time, part time or consulting. Of course, there are jobs where that would not happen. I cannot imagine trying to keep working in a field that required strenuous manual work. Many jobs can wear you out way before retirement age.
same here . as you know i still get called to fill in or take on special projects years after i retired . it took about a year for competitors to stop calling me right after i retired .

Old 11-21-2017, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MermaidMillie View Post
You're getting Medicaid Expansion mixed up with the Aged & Disabled Federal Poverty Level Program.

Under 65, assets don't matter
Over 65, you must be almost dirt poor to qualify for medicaid and/or most medicaid savings programs
Only the Extra Help Program for Seniors Prescriptions allows them to have a little $$ saved.

Also Section 8 has been closed here in California for a decade. This is the largest possible funding of welfare benefits to any one person. The list you have also duplicates itself. It always sounds good on paper but realistically, most poor people cannot qualify for many of those benefits you listed.

Funding for any new low income housing halted a decade ago and each new funding bill introduced is denied by Gov Brown. Sounds about right
Contributing enough to a workplace retirement plan may lower magi enough to qualify for medicaid
i am not getting anything mixed up .

i said retirees are using expanded medicaid as health insurance to fill the gap from when they retire to 65 . they can have millions in assets and it does not count.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:37 AM

3,463 posts, read 1,983,736 times
Quote:
Some people fall into the rent creep where rents just go up and up while their income doesn't.
There is this.

For 20 years my wages and earnings were flat lined.

NOW I'm ( we're....my OH and i) are in WAGE REGRESSION.
That is to say where once say $5/hour over minimum wage, with no raise as minimum increases, the gap shortens and we end up with wage regression, so we, instead of earning above minimum, suddenly become minimum wage workers.

My OH works as an adjunct to health care, but now is nearly simply a minimum wage worker for a job that should command more than minimum.

It's a tale of the times.

Not only do our wages regress, our COL has drastically increased, leaving us further in regression.

Doesn't leave as much to save for retirement, as that gap was important as if COL could be kept at minimum wage status, allowing to save all the "extra" for retirement.

As that gap disappears, it leaves far far less to sock away for retirement.

I hope I have adequately explained what i mean.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:42 AM

43 posts, read 22,026 times
Quote:
Having kids opens the floodgates to freebies. Childless adults get just about squat.
Childless adults get everything. They get to pay for everybody elseís everything (freebies).

Old 11-21-2017, 05:03 AM

11,318 posts, read 5,846,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
I just looked up the cost of a bronze plan in CO, assuming we are five years older than we are today and retiring in our early 60s. The premiums for the year (total for both of us) would be $40,440. Each of us would have a $5000 deductible, and each would have max out-of-pocket of $7350. That's already so unaffordable that I'd either just carry on working or go without insurance. It's hard to imagine what might happen in five years' time.
Rich people and public sector workers with cushy pensions and health benefits retire early. Everyone else canít even consider it until theyíre Medicare eligible. Fair market price for an individual health insurance plan at age 60 is about $20k. When the republicans kill ACA so you canít have the rest of us subsidize you, you pay that $20k. Thereís a modest safety net with Medicaid to cover people who simply canít work but why should my taxes pay for your early retirement gaming the system?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or