U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2017, 04:05 AM

3,448 posts, read 4,350,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Doesn't that effectively equate to an unfunded individual mandate?

Homeowners have vested financial and lifestyle interests in opposing the creation of additional - or more affordable - housing in their neighborhoods, thus I would not expect homeowners to agree that affordable housing is desirable or something the government should promote.

Politics is inherently class warfare, and it's no accident that the people with the money and votes are winning. It is politics that keeps me living where I do, because here I have a feasible chance of winning some of the battles.
It is not an unfunded mandate. No more than having minimum requirements for food safety is an unfunded mandate. You are not required to house someone else. You are also not required to live somewhere that is too expensive. An unfunded mandate would imply you had no choice in making the expenditure.

Iíd disagree that politics is inherently class warfare, but I can certainly be interpreted in that way. I think homeowners arenít all opposed to affordable housing, but may oppose specific implementations that negatively impact them.

Iím not sure where you are, but if housing costs are excessive there are likely many places where the ratio of wages to COL is more in your favor. There are also likely places where zoning requirements are more conducive to affordability
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2017, 04:11 AM

64,546 posts, read 66,100,109 times
it is easier to complain about a situation than it is to have an actionable plan and do something about it .

Old 11-26-2017, 05:50 AM

4,718 posts, read 2,255,657 times
Quote:
thus I would not expect homeowners to agree that affordable housing is desirable or something the government should promote.
In the 17 years I was a homeowner not once did I believe it would be better that there was less affordable housing so that I could gain financially. A home was just a place for us to live, not a political tool or investment that our future hinged on if we could oppress people with less means.

You're generating opinions for your boogeyman in order to get an oppression high.

Quote:
It is politics that keeps me living where I do
And this is what it all boils down to, trying to convince yourself (and everyone else, unfortunately) that your endless string of poor choices is anyone's fault but your own.

Old 11-26-2017, 06:46 AM

6,376 posts, read 2,582,637 times
Quote:
"The president of an employer group in California's Silicon Valley offered advice about housing to leaders in Oregon's Silicon Forest, where a 2016 study estimates that Washington County is at least 14,000 homes short for lower-income people."

Has the market (and capitalism) failed, or has government failed?
The easiest solution is for the low income types to stay where they are until they can afford to move up to a nicer place.
That's what my wife and I did.

Old 11-26-2017, 06:53 AM

6,376 posts, read 2,582,637 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about lazy bums, I'm talking about people who work for say $8 per hour.
That's a wage for a kid just starting out. Being stuck at that wage past one's teen years shows a lack of skills and little initiative.
Therefore the worker is the problem, not the job maket. Let's fix that.

Old 11-26-2017, 07:42 AM

2,479 posts, read 1,708,335 times
it's a failure of capitalism because there is less profit in building a low income home. Builders always prefer to build the expensive home because there's significantly more profit/buffer the further up in the price range you go.

Old 11-26-2017, 07:57 AM

29,920 posts, read 34,526,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
it's a failure of capitalism because there is less profit in building a low income home. Builders always prefer to build the expensive home because there's significantly more profit/buffer the further up in the price range you go.
DR Horton is the largest home builder in the US building lower end affordable homes. They make their profit in sheer volume not on each individual home.

People like Freemkt could move to TX, easily get a job making 2-3 times their current income and rent a room very affordably.

Yet they can't or won't see past their current situation. Many immigrants come to my area with nothing, work hard and end up owning multiple houses.

And many people like OP are not willing to work smarter and figure out how to improve their place in life. Like most people, I've not worked for MW since I was about 20 years old. I realized quickly that would not pay my bills.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:34 AM

25,801 posts, read 49,697,815 times
Quote:
Why did Howard Jarvis and the supporters of Prop 13 not care enough about renters to give them the same protection as homeowners?

Oh that's right, Jarvis was leader of a landlord organization.
Simple... Prop 13 is a Property Tax Initiative... We have had many Renter's Initiatives on the Ballot too and my city and neighboring cities all have very strict Rent Control.

Both Jarvis and Gann were given NO chance to succeed with their Grass Roots reform... ZERO chance. I can only imagine it would have been less than Zero had Prop 13 been broader.

Old 11-26-2017, 09:54 AM

9,291 posts, read 11,142,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
You can also add in as an option the people who earn entry level wages their entire life are also a possible contributor
So they are eternal renters......no home ownership required!

Old 11-26-2017, 11:04 AM

146 posts, read 60,529 times
There is nothing wrong with being an eternal renter. Personal preferences are part of buy-or-rent decisions, and those can vary considerably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or