U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2018, 09:28 AM

12,645 posts, read 6,607,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
You are discounting the youth and adults, that do not have the mental capacity (not stupid, but more limited than the average person or above), to do other than the jobs like janitor, clerks in mom and pop stores, manual labor jobs, housekeepers, etc.

Everyone does not have the ability to be accepted into college. Everyone does not have the ability to really get into a better job, that can lead to sky's the limit life experience.

In my zip code, those clerk jobs pay $15/hour. That's $30K. The thing about those jobs is you're expected to show up on time every day and actually work for your paycheck. You're expected to be honest and not lie/cheat/steal. If you're single, you have room mates. If you're married, dual income is $60K and you can afford a starter home if you pay attention to your credit rating and save diligently for the down payment.

Generally, the housing shortage is for single parents locked into generational poverty and who expect subsidized housing. Affluent towns fight affordable/public housing to the death because it places a huge burden on the public school system without adding to the tax base and kills public school ratings depressing housing prices. Private money isn't going to fund affordable/public housing. That creates ghettos and socioeconomic segregation. If you create more public housing, you just perpetuate the problem. What we have to day is really lousy public policy that rewards poorly educated women with free housing and free health care the minute they pop out a kid. Because all that is administered at the state level, there is no labor mobility for the bottom 20%. It's not like the southern migration or the Jobe family in the Grapes of Wrath where the poor moved to places with greater economic opportunity.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2018, 09:32 AM

264 posts, read 157,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Wages are depressed at the low end, but if wages increased the housing prices would just increase as well. Won't solve the problem.

The problem is caused by people not being willing to vote with their feet and MOVE!
The problem is too many young people causing an overcrowding in cities. If they lived with parents and went to school locally that would significantly help to make housing more affordable.

Additionally, if government was forced to build more public housing for low income people instead of placing them into section 8 apartments, rents would also become one more affordable for working people.

Old 02-17-2019, 08:52 AM

7,508 posts, read 6,958,241 times
Second wave of investment companies buying up single-family homes to rent

https://www.businessinsider.com/a-ma...-market-2018-8

The first wave of bulk foreclosure homes were acquired and rented out as-is.

Spiders, sewage and a flurry of fees – the other side of renting a house from Wall Street

Old 02-17-2019, 03:53 PM

8,760 posts, read 7,736,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitive2 View Post
The problem is too many young people causing an overcrowding in cities. If they lived with parents and went to school locally that would significantly help to make housing more affordable.

You are not taking into consideration, that too often local schools are one of the following: 1: Do not issue degrees in some of the desirable careers that young people are looking to have a career in. 2: Local schools may not have enough openings for students that are looking for careers to fill the need for local students. 3: A lot of the schools have such a bad reputation in the work force, their graduates cannot find jobs, as no one wants to hire them.

Additionally, if government was forced to build more public housing for low income people instead of placing them into section 8 apartments, rents would also become one more affordable for working people.

In other words, you think that all poor people should all be rounded up and forced to live into public housing, which often is located in areas that are dangerous for residents. Rounded up as the country did all Japanese Americans no matter how long their ancestors had lived in the USA, and placed in concentration camps, and the government taking their homes, businesses, etc., from them at time they were rounded up.
I was 10 years old when the Japanese attacked pearl harbor. I had spent Saturday Night with my best friend who was Japanese ancestry, and we were eating breakfast when the radio was turned on. Sundays the group of related Japanese ancestry family who had been in the USA over 100 years, had breakfast together. This boys family had the mothers, aunts, and older woman cousins prepare breakfast for nearly 50 people every week as the family gathered to share Sunday with one another. This house and several others for this group, were in a huge green house complex growing food to feed this country, where the majority worked. When the attack was announced, you never saw a bunch of people angry about those *** BASTARDS that were attacking their country. First thing Monday morning 8 of those loyal American single young man went down and volunteered to go into the Army to protect their country against those *** Bastards. All were turned down as they were Japanese and could not be trusted.

I stood in front of our home a few weeks later, and watched as a bunch of armed troops, came to their complex, and letting them take one suit case full of clothes, etc., put them on buses and haul them away, to put in concentration camps for the duration of the war. Of course the government took away their property, and business as government spoils of war. I never saw my best friend again.

I have never understood, why people of German and Italian Ancestry were also not rounded up and placed in concentration camps, but we could not do that as they were white people. I am a White Person, with Swede, Dutch, and English Ancestors, so I was not subject to going to concentration camps.

Now a lot of people on this thread, are suggesting that we round up poor people and do the same thing that was done to the good loyal Americans that had Japanese ancestry that wanted to go fight for their country when it was attacked by those Damn Japs as they called them who wanted to fight the enemy that had attacked this/their county the USA, and take them to concentration camps, where the rest of us good people don't have to look at them.

Section 8, can be less costly than building and operating public housing, and at the same time allowing women and children, old people, etc., to live in safety, instead of being forced to live in dangerous ares.

A major share of those using section 8 to acquire decent housing for their families, are also working people as you call them. Or elderly retired, no longer able to work.

I know a little more about this, than most people as I was an investment Real Estate Broker from 1972, till I retired, in addition President of a county wide large Rental Managers and Owners association for 3 years, and part of a city commission under direction of the county planner, working to help solve such problems.

It is a complicated problem, supplying low income people with decent places to live, and not concentrating them in one small portion of the city, to the point it becomes a ghetto and dangerous for all the residents in that area of town. There are a lot of low income people, that just need a little help to live under decent and safe conditions.

Everyone cannot be a high paid executive, etc., as everyone does not have the mental ability to be one, and a lot are not physically able to have high paid jobs. But this lower income group, are the ones that keep this country going.

Staffing our stores so we can buy things we need and want. Staffing our fast food restaurants. Staffing housekeeping departments in hotels and motels. Staffing lawn services to mow our lawns.

Working in our homes to do the housework, and I know about this as we have had a housekeeper come in 3 days a week since mid 1970s. We pay our housekeeper $18 an hour (her only customer) to keep our home clean and cared for. When we first hired household help, we were both working in our Real Estate Investment Office, and to not overwork ourselves we hired the home cleaning and maintenance.

Today we hire help as we are elderly and a 3,700 sq. ft. 4 level (no basement) home requires more care and cleaning that those in their late 80s should do. Our housekeeper does the monthly lubrication of the 3 chairlifts we have installed to take us between floors. A handyman to come in and take care of our 1 full acre of landscaped area in summer season, do household repairs, and plow out the snow with our tractor in the winter. We have a 30 foot by 150 foot area to plow, as well as a 400 foot private lane between our yard and the county road dividing the best part of the city from the county. He also mows our 4 acres of pasture, once a month in growing season, as we do not keep large animals.

I do know what hard work done by less fortunate people today is, as I grew up during the great depression of the 30s and early 40s. I got my first job working in a gas station when I was 13 a freshman in high school. I lived on the families large ranch just outside town, and built muscles on my 6'2" frame helping on the ranch, doing everything from breaking saddle horses (yes I could ride the bucking horses down), herding cattle, hauling hay, etc.

Just because I chose to wore a suit instead of overalls after getting out of the Navy in 1954, does not mean I do not understand poor people and their needs. Too many on this thread, think they are just gutter trash so to speak, and should be contained so the rest of us more fortunate people don't have to see them, or put up with them.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:45 PM

4,957 posts, read 4,940,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
My question presupposes only that, like nature, markets abhor a vacuum, and when there exists unmet demand for a product or service, the invisible hand of the market - somehow - meets that demand.

!
Yep, that's why various groups of goods turned to crap in the past decades, invisible hands moved in the ways assuring the highest margins using whatever means necessary. They give you what suits them and then they train you to like/ignore/accept it or the other way around.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:04 PM

Social darwinism of the posters in this thread is out of some nazi concentation camp. I assume many posters are retired or semi retired and think that world owes them because they have some paper and electronic credits to their name. You might be unpleasantly surprised.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:48 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,007,590 times
There are many areas of the country with surplus housing. Places like New Hampshire have very low unemployment rates and cannot find workers in many skilled fields. There are affordable housing options. Here in central Connecticut there are thousands of high-paying unfilled jobs for young people with backgrounds in engineering, manufacturing, finance, business, as well as many technical and trade positions. There are many affordable housing options.

In many cases the housing shortages are in areas where the crowd is flocking to.

Old 02-21-2019, 02:58 PM

407 posts, read 95,081 times
Neither. Where is it said that you must get a roof at a discounted price?
Humans need to understand that what they are exposed to and told is mostly distracting material that is pointless.
However, the marketers make it appear to be critical to your survival. It gets easier once you understand that. Until then, humans are just wasting their time and resources on dumb things that
put them in a situation where they will never get ahead.

Old 02-21-2019, 06:46 PM

84 posts, read 9,810 times
What the heck is a 'wage shortage' anyway? Sounds like another piece of ignorance courtesy of AOC.

Old 02-21-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv201 View Post
What the heck is a 'wage shortage' anyway? Sounds like another piece of ignorance courtesy of AOC.
Supply and demand is largely a figure of Econ 101 imagination when it comes to capital vs labor. In the real world capital sets wage it's willing to pay for a particular job and cries "workers shortage" when wages are too low to fill up all open positions warp speed. At this advanced stage of capitalism capital has enough of tools to impose any wage on sufficient number of workers. But it is not quite happy yet about the speed of subjugation. Thus "shortages". Shortage of workers willing to work for a fixed low wage is not the same as shortage of workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or