U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 11:23 AM

17,603 posts, read 12,197,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clikrf8 View Post
This is a public forum and I can interject whenever I want.
You are completely right, you can interject whenever you want and you can and are completly incorrect while doing it in this case
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2017, 11:29 AM

1,128 posts, read 673,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
You are completely right, you can interject whenever you want and you can and are completly incorrect while doing it in this case
Are you a moderator? Can you make up your own rules? You need to calm down.

Old 11-22-2017, 11:33 AM

17,603 posts, read 12,197,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clikrf8 View Post
Are you a moderator? Can you make up your own rules? You need to calm down.
It's not making up a rule to tell you that you were wrong in a post you made. Maybe you should reread what you responded to originally and you might see my commentary was about life time minimum wager earners and not a blanket statement about Americans being unwilling to do jobs undocumented workers do.

Old 11-22-2017, 12:34 PM

1,614 posts, read 689,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Are those people sufficiently numerous as to be a significant factor? How many undocumented immigrants are in the county? Would the problem largely resolve if undocumented immigrants left?
No. I have a home in Contra Costa County, CA. The cost of living is about 400% the US average, while the average house price is 600% of the national average. However, we still need software developers, market researchers, doctors, teachers, cops, firemen, fast food workers, grocery store workers, etc. Do you think they can live anywhere near where they work? There are no $200k/yr folks working at my local Whole Foods. But they do need to live somewhere and I guarantee it is a long way from where they work. This is the kind of housing that is in short supply.

So, no, these aren't illegal immigrants.

Old 11-22-2017, 12:38 PM

1,614 posts, read 689,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Incorrect, the market has and will continue to fulfill the demand. The fact that low income people can't afford housing in optimal areas is just reality of life at work. Right now I'm next to the Tower of London and guess what, poor people cannot afford to live here other than a few granted low income housing paid by others.
You are certainly right about that. My the neighborhood around my house in South Kensington is pretty much all Russian and Middle Easterners. I don't even think that an Englishman can afford to live in that neighborhood.

Old 11-22-2017, 12:42 PM

9,080 posts, read 3,692,496 times
Quote:
Has the market (and capitalism) failed, or has government failed?
sounds like physically able people failed capitalism... if they are able to work but choose not to, how is it anyone's fault that they can't afford to join the market?

the "market" does not mean people are entitled to participate by breathing air

Old 11-22-2017, 12:47 PM

5,419 posts, read 8,201,788 times
It's impossible for a minimum wage person to afford new construction. Especially with density high enough that elevators are required.

Look to an area with a shrinking population for a supply of affordable housing.

My city is in between, but two workers can afford a 2 BR apartment, just not a newer one. The market calls for enough new construction the older units can be vacated.

The housing shortage is for people trying to raise a family on one low wage job or who don't have the social skills to be a good roommate.

Old 11-22-2017, 12:50 PM

9,080 posts, read 3,692,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
It's impossible for a minimum wage person to afford new construction. Especially with density high enough that elevators are required.
true... but why is it impossible for someone to move on from a minimum wage job and then afford it later on?

why do people who say housing is impossible expect cheap housing right out the parents' doors? why don't they expect them to move up their careers and buy the house

Old 11-22-2017, 02:14 PM

12,623 posts, read 12,065,272 times
I will interpret this to what the OP is really trying to say:

"I cannot afford housing in an area I desire to live, which happens to be an area with high COL and housing prices. I am entitled to live in any area of the US I want to, and economics should not be a barrier. Since I cannot afford housing int eh area I desire, there must be a housing shortage because I think they should just keep building and building housing until the supply is so great, I can finally afford it."

Old 11-22-2017, 02:18 PM

15,385 posts, read 8,679,661 times
Quote:
"The president of an employer group in California's Silicon Valley offered advice about housing to leaders in Oregon's Silicon Forest, where a 2016 study estimates that Washington County is at least 14,000 homes short for lower-income people."

Has the market (and capitalism) failed, or has government failed?
Neither the market nor the government owes anyone a living or a home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or