U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 10:48 AM

921 posts, read 187,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Milton Friedman is a fraud.
LOL. Watch the series -- or are you afraid of entertaining ideas different from your own?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2019, 10:50 AM

921 posts, read 187,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
The real question is how much are most people getting of the GDP pie and how much is going to capital.
No. The real question is "How much are most people EARNING of the GDP pie and how much is EARNED BY capital."

Old 03-17-2019, 01:29 PM

7,602 posts, read 7,015,481 times
Financial Times

Fed policies exacerbated housing bubbles

They copied the GD playbook by inflating asset prices through decreasing the supply, whether it's bundling foreclosures to private equity firms or enlisting foreign central banks in buying up equities. Regulations restricting the activities of the central bank can be worked around.

Old 03-17-2019, 04:12 PM

1,145 posts, read 1,533,770 times
What city or cities does the OP see housing shortages?

The 2 cities I spend time in when residing in the states has no shortage. And constant new transplants. Atlanta for example i believe has a surplus and still building because more people move there every day.

Old 03-17-2019, 04:58 PM

1,798 posts, read 733,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
...Atlanta for example i believe has a surplus...
Can you please provide your source for this?

Old 03-19-2019, 03:01 AM

8,831 posts, read 7,800,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Can you please provide your source for this?
Atlanta has a big surplus with a 18.2% vacancy rate.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; Today at 02:16 AM..

Old Yesterday, 08:45 AM

7,602 posts, read 7,015,481 times
Atlanta had one of the tightest residential real estate markets. The supply ratio is rising mainly because sales have fallen off and the seasonal buying period is just starting. So new supply hits the market in March and buyers will come back in. The ratio is still not what one considers a buyer's market.

turning point?

The flipper house next door sold within two months.

Atlanta was probably the largest market for HUD foreclosure sales to private equity. I've read that the rentals typically have a much higher vacancy rate of around 15 percent because a few landlords control much of the market and fix higher rents to account for the high rate of evictions.

Old Yesterday, 10:12 AM

1,798 posts, read 733,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Atlanta had one of the tightest residential real estate markets. The supply ratio is rising mainly because sales have fallen off and the seasonal buying period is just starting. So new supply hits the market in March and buyers will come back in. The ratio is still not what one considers a buyer's market.

turning point?

The flipper house next door sold within two months.

Atlanta was probably the largest market for HUD foreclosure sales to private equity. I've read that the rentals typically have a much higher vacancy rate of around 15 percent because a few landlords control much of the market and fix higher rents to account for the high rate of evictions.
Thank you for the detailed response!

This all sounds more like what I've been hearing/experience.

Old Yesterday, 11:23 AM

1,002 posts, read 352,710 times
Gov't should not be in the HOUSING BUSINESS. Period.

But since they control the most important price in the world, via the FED (I know it's not technically a Government agency, but the BOD is) the general rate of interest, they profoundly affect derivative money markets.

So .. get rid of the FED, HUD, FHA, Sect.-8, et. al. and then it's all determined by the open market.

Think that's gonna happen soon?

Old Yesterday, 02:41 PM

8,957 posts, read 2,369,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
LOL. Watch the series -- or are you afraid of entertaining ideas different from your own?
I'm not going to watch it because I know who Milton is. He is a state propagandist that wants more centralized wealth.

There is no depth to his arguments, and his motives are clear as the sun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or