U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 06:42 AM

25,800 posts, read 49,685,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Howard Jarvis lied to renters when he said that Prop 13 would deliver lower rents, plus the renter demographic is younger than the homeowner demographic - in this country, many poor people buy into the fantasy that they can be rich/wealthy/homeowners one day. Some do, some don't, but the rich/wealthy/homeowners retain their political favors.
No... not what happened... those renting at the time it passed did receive rent reductions... both my grade school teacher and my Uncle had their rents reduced when the new tax bills arrived.

Many poor people do become home owners...

In 2012 home prices here in Oakland were down as much as 80% with 50 to 60% being the norm for block after block in the avenues... it was a fantastic opportunity to buy in and I work at a Hospital... no one was laid off... we did have reduced hours but no lay offs...

I spread the word of a buy opportunity of my generation and only 1 taker... a single Mom RN... the rest were smug saying why buy when rent is half the cost of owning with no maintenance...

Prop 13 is the only thing tax payers having in California in their favor and as said many times... it was not politicians but the people that made it so...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2017, 06:47 AM

64,525 posts, read 66,075,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
In the NYC area, there were plenty of "projects". These were expensive mistakes that cost a lot of taxpayer money and resulted in some of the world's worst crime and poor living conditions. No one wants to see more of those. Certainly no middle class neighborhood wants to see the decay that resulted. There is not a whole lot of support for public supported, low income housing.

Now, let us consider privately funded, low income housing. Yuck, who in their right mind wants to be a landlord for low income housing? Being a landlord has somehow become a dirty word. Laws protect the tenants. There are often rent controls and difficulties evicting a deadbeat tenant. Property values can drop when low income areas become slums.
i grew up in the woodside projects . we love a fried fish place a few blocks away so every so often i pass by. i even still have buddies living there who never made it out .

i wouldn't want to live there ,EVER!

Old 11-23-2017, 08:28 AM

15,385 posts, read 8,679,661 times
Quote:
California homeowners decided that "first movers" should be secure in their homes and not priced out by newcomers - so they passed Prop 13.

Why shouldn't first movers who rent have similar protection from being priced out by newcomers?
You need to research the reason for Prop 13 a little more.

Old 11-23-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
I'm not talking about lazy bums, I'm talking about people who work for say $8 per hour.
If you've been out of high school for many years, and have neither advanced in a career or started a business that supports you, and you still make $8 an hour, you are either handicapped (which means you should get govt assistance) or you are lazy (which means you shouldn't).

Old 11-23-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
California homeowners disagree with you and they have Prop 13 to prove they're right and you're not.
Prop 13 doesn't pay anyone to live. Having lived there, I know that. You, having never lived there, have no clue.

Old 11-23-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Howard Jarvis lied to renters when he said that Prop 13 would deliver lower rents, plus the renter demographic is younger than the homeowner demographic - in this country, many poor people buy into the fantasy that they can be rich/wealthy/homeowners one day. Some do, some don't, but the rich/wealthy/homeowners retain their political favors.
I bought a home in CA, LONG after Prop 13 was passed. I am not wealthy. I started out a poor renter. I AM committed to owning a home, no excuses, so I make it happen.

Old 11-23-2017, 08:34 AM

64,525 posts, read 66,075,955 times
most who failed over a lifetime have done so because they let their lives drift to where ever life pulls them ,like a cork in water . they drift from one low paying job to another aimlessly .

they never have the ability ,drive or creativity to take control under their own power and make things happen .

but they never see it that way so it is always someone else's fault and while others find a way ,they find an excuse. it is their job , it is the rent , it is the landlord , there are no jobs , etc ,etc . there is always some reason that is not their own fault .

like dieting , there are very few who actually have a medical condition that causes the excessive weight . it really is they just need to eat less and move more . but they don"t and so they just make themselves feel better with excuse after excuse .

Old 11-23-2017, 08:45 AM

12,405 posts, read 9,195,957 times
Quote:
"The president of an employer group in California's Silicon Valley offered advice about housing to leaders in Oregon's Silicon Forest, where a 2016 study estimates that Washington County is at least 14,000 homes short for lower-income people."

Has the market (and capitalism) failed, or has government failed?
A Li'l bit of this and a li'l bit of tha'.

Silicon Valley, I would argue is mostly a zoning laws problem, as is Washington DC, both cities having extremely low maximum building heights in addition to other regulations. New York City, while zoning laws contribute as well, is more limited by geographical factors (because moving people out of the city center subjects them to commutes that involve crossing water).

Houston and Chicago have more reasonable costs of living, but even in Houston, which has no zoning at all, house prices in the urban core are driven up by the intense competition for land.

Old 11-23-2017, 01:02 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,292,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
The market is always going to react to fulfill demand. The failure is a complex and varied one including:
-Failure of parents to prepare the kids to compete in the labor market
- Failure of the educational system to prepare people for the new economy
- Failure of government to properly guide the economy with economic policy, wages, and taxes
This is a good answer because it acknowledges the fact that not every question is reducible to an either/or.

Old 11-23-2017, 01:09 PM

9,082 posts, read 3,697,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
This is a good answer because it acknowledges the fact that not every question is reducible to an either/or.
it didn't place fault on the actual person in question

shifting blame to parents/schools/government...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or