U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 02:56 PM

27,192 posts, read 11,367,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
So seems our taxes are going to go up for the middle class and down for the rich.. So with that said, lets fix the welfare system. Here is my thoughts on what to do.

Work 20 hour week min job at any location. Get on some program to prevent further births of unattended accidents. Random drug and drink tests. Max you can stay on the welfare system and housing is 2 years. By then you should be able to gain enough experience in the work force to get full time and better housing.

So any ideas on what to do next? Think if you slap some pretty good restrictions on these programs, it will help our economics in jobs.?
Since 1996 there has been a 60 month lifetime limit to welfare. Some states, like Arizona have reduced that to 12 months. The cash welfare grant in Tennessee for a family of three is $177. There is also a work requirement for TANF participation, many states ignore it because they don't want to spend the money that would be required to provide child care for participants, or there simply aren't employers willing to hire the applicants who usually lack a solid education and/or job skills

TANF provides a safety net to significantly fewer poor families than in the past: in 2015, just 23 families received TANF benefits for every 100 poor families with children, down from 68 families receiving TANF for every 100 poor families in 1996. Even more troubling, 14 statesí TANF programs reach only ten families or fewer for every 100 poor families. TANF often is these familiesí only source of support; without it, they would have no cash income to meet basic needs.

Only 25% of the poor receive any form of housing subsidy

In 2015 spending on TANF amounted to 0.54 percent of total federal outlays

To summarize I will offer a quote frequently used by my mother "you can't get blood out of a turnip"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 03:28 PM

1,652 posts, read 1,888,541 times
How about we apply the same rules to ALL people who are funded by the taxpayer's dime? That means, welfare recipients, disability recipients, military members/government employees (at all levels), and yes, POLITICIANS. Equal standards. It should be a new amendment. So if we're going to administer random drug tests to welfare recipients, then politicians will receive them, too. All get the same standard of healthcare, too. I'll bet you if that happened then a Single Payer National Healthcare system would be on the table REAL quick. Why should only members of congress, the president, and cabinet members be the only ones who get free healthcare for life?

Old 12-21-2017, 03:29 PM

3,972 posts, read 1,941,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
What welfare are you all talking about? as far as I know Welfare is SSI and you can only get it if you are poor and over 65, OR are disabled...
there are 83 federal public assistance programs of varying qualification prerequisites (a few of which you can be a billionaire and still qualify).

Old 12-21-2017, 04:09 PM

2,769 posts, read 1,500,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
That's a fancy way of saying Obama weakened a lot of this.
Hardly, if you actually bothered to pay attention to the actual nuts and bolts of what transpired instead of fox news summaries that fit a narrative.

Old 12-21-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Since 1996 there has been a 60 month lifetime limit to welfare. Some states, like Arizona have reduced that to 12 months. The cash welfare grant in Tennessee for a family of three is $177. There is also a work requirement for TANF participation, many states ignore it because they don't want to spend the money that would be required to provide child care for participants, or there simply aren't employers willing to hire the applicants who usually lack a solid education and/or job skills

TANF provides a safety net to significantly fewer poor families than in the past: in 2015, just 23 families received TANF benefits for every 100 poor families with children, down from 68 families receiving TANF for every 100 poor families in 1996. Even more troubling, 14 statesí TANF programs reach only ten families or fewer for every 100 poor families. TANF often is these familiesí only source of support; without it, they would have no cash income to meet basic needs.

Only 25% of the poor receive any form of housing subsidy

In 2015 spending on TANF amounted to 0.54 percent of total federal outlays

To summarize I will offer a quote frequently used by my mother "you can't get blood out of a turnip"
Finally someone explains it correctly.

I expect such nuance to unfortunately go over the heads of many posters in this thread paying more attention to either fox news or similar outlets.

Old 12-21-2017, 04:41 PM

1,952 posts, read 657,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
I think the loophole is they file for disability.
Yep.

Old 12-21-2017, 04:55 PM

2,284 posts, read 1,040,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Sounds like you have listened to political statements on the new tax plan. More likely taxes are going to go down for almost everyone including some reductions for those who currently pay the most.

them?
My taxes are going up 879 bucks. No political statements. It's called turbo tax.

Old 12-21-2017, 04:59 PM

4,829 posts, read 4,809,378 times
CD Social Darvinian Excercises. Volume XXXIV.

Old 12-21-2017, 05:12 PM

3,700 posts, read 3,028,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Finally someone explains it correctly.

I expect such nuance to unfortunately go over the heads of many posters in this thread paying more attention to either fox news or similar outlets.
Methinks 2sleepy may be one of those "readers," you know, the troublemakers who want to deal in facts, and pays little attention to the mass of Fox produced conjecture, the question is...Does 2sleepy know more from reading than Sean Hannity knows from keeping his ear to the ground, so to speak. Sean gathers his opinions solely from the foundation of America...You guessed it, his scripted commentary, written by his "sponsors." . So, as shallow as it seems, Fox news can get pretty deep sometimes..Ya know? If anything in this country needs fixing--We can begin by turning off the news and actually read those dry mouth books which take into account the entirety of complexity involved when looking at our social ills.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
there are countries that either have the capacity but do not believe in public welfare or impoverished nations that do not have the government ability to create programs for the ultra-needy.

day-to-day life in those places is scary since if you are moderately well-to-do, you are a much bigger target. i have a friend from lagos who told me that a section of the walls surrounding her home (many houses in africa, caribbean, south-america, ... are protected by walls/gates) was knocked in and people came in to loot their home.
You are woefully misinformed.

Nigeria is nowhere wealthy enough to even be able to fund a mere shoestring welfare program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or