Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2017, 09:28 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Thanks for your 2cents but in some states there is no limit. And others have extensions one can apply for, which if you have kids it's almost automatically received.
https://careertrend.com/list-7723411...me-limits.html
There is a 60 month federal limit, if you would like I will post a link to that. Some states have exemptions and extensions but they are very rare and offered only in unusual circumstances, the most common extension is if an elderly relative who is also poor has custody of the child. In your link some states are listed that have no lifetime limit, that's interesting, one would have to assume that the state is paying 100% after 60 months

But you are right, if a parent is ineligible the children continue to receive child only benefits which amounts to very little money In Texas the TANF grant for one child in a 'child only case' is $99 a month

Bottom line is you can't raise a child on $99 a month

EDIT I found the info on states with TANF limits beyond 60 months, they can do that but they only receive 20% of the normal federal funding.

Last edited by 2sleepy; 12-21-2017 at 10:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 09:41 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,584,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Uh, yeah you will. Dumb comment.
And how many voted for the tax bill that just passed? I'll clue you in...zero.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:50 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
The one obvious area where we overspend is military. I would start cutting costs there.
There is plenty of bloat in both the military and the welfare system. The two should be thought of 2 different heads on a two-headed beast. Both have become destructive to the well being of our nation.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:58 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
I can't believe the % of people who are in favor of random drug testing. Do they not care at all about the Big Brother state? If you don't trust the government, you sure as h*ll don't want them doing drug testing. This is a perfect example of how we lose our rights. It starts with a maligned group (the homeless, welfare recipients, etc.), then next thing you know, they find other reasons to test more people. How can people not see this? It's classic stepping stones technique. Get people to give up their rights in step by step fashion by dividing them against each other.

Old 12-22-2017, 12:09 AM

121 posts, read 105,810 times
Really, the 'Welfare' hatred scam comes out every election thrown around by Republicans using hate to push the vote. Sadly, I think you will find this to be a misinformation propaganda campaign if you EVER land on 'welfare' yourself. But the worst haters have 4+ MEDICAID kids where the govt paid your wife to hatch your eggs. There's little else than free babies (if you are married) coming from govt ....

Old 12-22-2017, 01:58 AM

1,067 posts, read 623,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Well, let me put it this way: I was making $24,000 a year and paying 25% out of that for taxes. I don't really care what taxes they were, all I cared about was that 25% of my earned income was gone. So I think people who are making about $500,000 a year or more should probably pay at least that to make it fair. Doing short form all the way, itemizing nothing. That would pretty much even the playing field.
If you are/were making 24k, you are/we’re not paying 25% in taxes and the person making 500k is paying a much higher rate. Here are the tax rates:

https://taxfoundation.org/2017-tax-brackets/

Old 12-22-2017, 01:58 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
You are woefully misinformed.

Nigeria is nowhere wealthy enough to even be able to fund a mere shoestring welfare program.
Yet it has one. Just Google it.

Old 12-22-2017, 02:00 AM

1,067 posts, read 623,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Hardly, if you actually bothered to pay attention to the actual nuts and bolts of what transpired instead of fox news summaries that fit a narrative.
The constant diatribes about Fox News is getting old. CNN and MSNBC are the same way when it comes to the liberal point of view, yet you and others making the fox comments fail to point that out.

Old 12-22-2017, 02:20 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,578,513 times
What 'welfare' are you talking about? There really is no existing 'welfare' for able-bodied men. There is Unemployment Compensation which is not considered welfare, and there is Disability where one must be disabled. There is subsidized housing for some low-income people.

For mothers of children, there is the following:

Welfare Benefits for Single Mothers
Welfare reform legislation in 1996 placed a greater emphasis on work and time limits on how long mothers can receive benefits. Welfare assistance is not designed to pay a family's total living expenses, but is a supplement to help alleviate poverty.

1) TANF

Temporary Aid for Needy Families, or TANF, is a block grant program which replaced Aid to Families with Dependent Children, AFDC, in 1996 to reflect the welfare reform guidelines. The TANF program offers a cash grant to families each month for a period of up to two years and has work requirements. According to the Department of Health and Human Services, single parents with children under age six are required to spend 20 hours a week on work-related activities, including job training; those with children over age six must spend 30 hours a week in these tasks.

2) Medicaid

Medicaid is a federal program that covers medical care for certain low-income individuals.

3) Food Stamps and WIC

Food stamps, also called Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program or SNAP, provide vouchers for food for low-income individuals. Pregnant and nursing mothers and children under age five who have nutritional need may also receive assistance from the Women, Infants and Children program often referred to as WIC. Whereas food stamps can be used to buy nearly any type of food, WIC vouchers are only eligible for specific types of highly nutritious food, including dairy, eggs, peanut butter and cereal.

4) Housing

The Section 8 program is administered by the U.S. Department of Urban Development and provides assistance in paying for housing. Eligibility for Section 8 requires a household income below 50 percent of the median income for the area.

Social Security Administration provides the following programs:

Supplemental Security Income
Temporary Assistance for Needy Families
Food and Nutrition Assistance
Housing Assistance

description of these Social Security Administration programs are at this link:
https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/prog...pus/index.html

Old 12-22-2017, 02:59 AM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Well, let me put it this way: I was making $24,000 a year and paying 25% out of that for taxes. I don't really care what taxes they were, all I cared about was that 25% of my earned income was gone. So I think people who are making about $500,000 a year or more should probably pay at least that to make it fair. Doing short form all the way, itemizing nothing. That would pretty much even the playing field.
In Washington State? I want to see your tax returns. Washington State doesn't have a state income tax. Let's do your taxes: At $24K, you have $10,300 worth of exemption and standard deduction. You're paying Federal income tax on $13,700. Looking that up in the tax tables, that's $1,595.00. You have another $1,836 in FICA/Medicare payroll taxes. I get 14.3%. More than half of that is covering your retirement where if you earn $24K for your whole career, the rest of us subsidize your Medicare health care and Social Security check since you'd be taking out far more in benefits than you'd ever contribute in payroll taxes.

The typical household making $500K pays huge taxes. They are subject to alternative minimum tax so they lose most or all of their itemized deductions. The people making that money mostly have W-2 jobs like corporate execs and physicians where they have no way to hide. Sure, there are people making that kind of money who game the system to pay far lower taxes but that's the exception that makes the news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics