Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2017, 09:54 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,063,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
good analogy, there is probably some growth to ss payments due to interest but i think a lot comes from taxpayer public assistance.
General Fund monies are commingled to some degree in all four parts of Medicare. General Fund money going to Social Security would be difficult to pinpoint aside from reimbursements provided to the system during the payroll tax holiday that Republicans insisted upon rather than extending the Making Work Pay tax credits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
there are three categories on death certificates:
[homicide]
[accidental death]
[natural causes]
the natural causes average age is going up methinks.\
Not understanding the facts is not an excuse.

Decline in US life expectancy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 09:59 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,063,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1921 View Post
Thanks for checking in, Rachel Maddow.
I am not Rachel Maddow. Merely someone familiar with the history and derivation of the Echo Chamber and other right-wing media sources of deliberate disinformation. There is no comparable construct elsewhere along the political spectrum.

Old 12-22-2017, 10:19 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,263,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
People on welfare are not allowed to drink?
not if it doesn't come from your own pocket. include also cigarettes, cable, sugary drinks that should be banned from your grocery list if you depend on welfare

Old 12-22-2017, 10:53 AM

15,177 posts, read 7,226,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
If you're wealthy, say like making more than $120K, or have millions in earnings, then you SHOULD be paying your fair share of taxes. Not be finding ways to hide them in off shore accounts. But then some of those same folks will cry foul when individuals manage to find loopholes like being on unemployment for 1.5 years (which they've earned, and was part of policy).
$120k isn't wealthy, it's not even a very high annual income. A married couple where each makes $60k wouldn't consider the $120k wealthy. Heck, probably 60% of the people in my office make that or more. And I'm pretty sure we all pay our fair share of taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
not if it doesn't come from your own pocket. include also cigarettes, cable, sugary drinks that should be banned from your grocery list if you depend on welfare
Since all the welfare payments I am aware of, at least in Texas, are put on a debit card that limits what you can buy, you can rest assured that the folks you see buying alcohol or tobacco are using their own money. Welfare for adults is pretty minimal, and, as other have said, most of the people on the various forms of welfare actually have jobs, just not good ones.

Old 12-22-2017, 10:58 AM

22,601 posts, read 24,415,705 times
Sorry, cold-turkey and DRASTIC changes would be the only "fix" for welfare at this point. And guess what, that is not going to happen, ever.

One of the consequences of endless fiat-currency.

Old 12-22-2017, 10:58 AM

6,972 posts, read 4,826,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertfchew View Post
Every single person from the crack head on the corner to zuckerbergs wife has access to birth control. If you're too stupid to access it and use it please do not reproduce.
Not if they keep closing Planned Parenthood clinics down:

Ten States Have Now Defunded Planned Parenthood

from 2015:
"....public funding covers services to a mostly low-income clientele for contraception, wellness care, cancer screening and the diagnosis and treatment of sexually transmitted diseases for women and men. The funding makes up about 40 percent of Planned Parenthood’s budget.On Friday, Arkansas became the fifth state to try to cut off state money by ending its contract with Planned Parenthood for services to residents covered by Medicaid, the health insurance program for the poor jointly run by states and the federal government. Arkansas follows Louisiana, Alabama, Utah and New Hampshire."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.584bcc801762

By the way, do you have any idea how much birth control can cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
In Washington State? I want to see your tax returns. Washington State doesn't have a state income tax. Let's do your taxes: At $24K, you have $10,300 worth of exemption and standard deduction. You're paying Federal income tax on $13,700. Looking that up in the tax tables, that's $1,595.00. You have another $1,836 in FICA/Medicare payroll taxes. I get 14.3%. More than half of that is covering your retirement where if you earn $24K for your whole career, the rest of us subsidize your Medicare health care and Social Security check since you'd be taking out far more in benefits than you'd ever contribute in payroll taxes.

The typical household making $500K pays huge taxes. They are subject to alternative minimum tax so they lose most or all of their itemized deductions. The people making that money mostly have W-2 jobs like corporate execs and physicians where they have no way to hide. Sure, there are people making that kind of money who game the system to pay far lower taxes but that's the exception that makes the news.

Quote:
If you are/were making 24k, you are/we’re not paying 25% in taxes and the person making 500k is paying a much higher rate. Here are the tax rates:

https://taxfoundation.org/2017-tax-brackets/

I can does math. If I bring home $12 an hour and work 40 hours a week, I should be bringing home $1920 per month. But my paycheck was only a little over $1400 per month. That figures out to be roughly 25% of my paycheck gone. Where? Well, I looked at my paycheck and that money went for taxes, federal taxes, state taxes, whatever.

Yes, I got "some" back when I filed. Certainly not $6000 a year, though. And when you're talking to someone who depends on the money they make from the hours they work, we don't care what the exemptions are or whether the state has tax or not. We only care about what we can put in the bank in dollars and cents. Period. Full stop.

I guess you missed the part where I said short form only and no deductions, making an even playing field. If higher income earners couldn't write off everything from soup to nuts, then I'd be convinced they were paying their fair share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
Oh, so you want to hold the poor to a higher standard than you hold yourself and others to. Well, why didn't you say so? I mean, only the rich deserve to drink a coke and smoke a cigarette and watch TV. That sounds about right.

Last edited by rodentraiser; 12-22-2017 at 11:12 AM..

Old 12-22-2017, 10:59 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,533,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
General Fund monies are commingled to some degree in all four parts of Medicare. General Fund money going to Social Security would be difficult to pinpoint aside from reimbursements provided to the system during the payroll tax holiday that Republicans insisted upon rather than extending the Making Work Pay tax credits.

Not understanding the facts is not an excuse.

Decline in US life expectancy
this is the 2nd link from the link you gave me:
Quote:
U.S. life expectancy declines for the first time since 1993 - The ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/.../u...cdc7b4-bc93-11...

Dec 8, 2016 - For the first time in more than two decades, life expectancy for Americans declined last year
so people are living longer and receiving ss for longer periods of time thus depleting the source of cash to sustain it at a faster rate and being subsidized more and more by the general tax fund.

edit: i shouldve been more clear. when i mentioned people are living longer i meant comparing from the time ss was put in place compared to today (not from 2 years ago at the start of the opiod crisis).

the first link in here is kinda' good:
https://lmddgtfy.net/?q=usa%20average%20age%201935

Old 12-22-2017, 11:34 AM

42,753 posts, read 25,971,458 times
Quote:
The constant diatribes about Fox News is getting old. CNN and MSNBC are the same way when it comes to the liberal point of view, yet you and others making the fox comments fail to point that out.
Fox news wins the prize for "fake news"

FOX's file: | PunditFact

The fact-checks behind 'The Daily Show's' 50 Fox news 'lies' | PolitiFact

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=.dbc8574d15f1

Can Fox News Survive the Trump Presidency? Embattled Network Faces Lawsuits, Aging Viewership, New Competitors

Old 12-22-2017, 11:38 AM

1,064 posts, read 614,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
I am not Rachel Maddow. Merely someone familiar with the history and derivation of the Echo Chamber and other right-wing media sources of deliberate disinformation. There is no comparable construct elsewhere along the political spectrum.
Thanks for clearing that up, Rachel.

Old 12-22-2017, 11:44 AM

1,064 posts, read 614,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
In other words, you got nothing. Sorry, but whether or not you're a CNN/Fox News hater/lover, you need specifics.

If you're wealthy, say like making more than $120K, or have millions in earnings, then you SHOULD be paying your fair share of taxes. Not be finding ways to hide them in off shore accounts. But then some of those same folks will cry foul when individuals manage to find loopholes like being on unemployment for 1.5 years (which they've earned, and was part of policy).

Conservatives say: “I have suffered—so you should too.”
Liberals say: “I have suffered—so no one else should have to.”
As I said, if you can’t see the bias on both ends, you are part of the problem.

Interesting to see you have defined being wealthy as making over $120k. Since you say these wealthy people should pay their fair share, perhaps you would like to answer the question as to what a fair share is. While you are at it, you can tell us all about these wealthy people stashing their money in off shore accounts as a way of getting out of taxes. Would love to hear more about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics