Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2017, 11:53 AM

1,067 posts, read 623,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Not if they keep closing Planned Parenthood clinics down:

Ten States Have Now Defunded Planned Parenthood

from 2015:
"....public funding covers services to a mostly low-income clientele for contraception, wellness care, cancer screening and the diagnosis and treatment of sexually transmitted diseases for women and men. The funding makes up about 40 percent of Planned Parenthood’s budget.On Friday, Arkansas became the fifth state to try to cut off state money by ending its contract with Planned Parenthood for services to residents covered by Medicaid, the health insurance program for the poor jointly run by states and the federal government. Arkansas follows Louisiana, Alabama, Utah and New Hampshire."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.584bcc801762

By the way, do you have any idea how much birth control can cost?

I can does math. If I bring home $12 an hour and work 40 hours a week, I should be bringing home $1920 per month. But my paycheck was only a little over $1400 per month. That figures out to be roughly 25% of my paycheck gone. Where? Well, I looked at my paycheck and that money went for taxes, federal taxes, state taxes, whatever.

Yes, I got "some" back when I filed. Certainly not $6000 a year, though. And when you're talking to someone who depends on the money they make from the hours they work, we don't care what the exemptions are or whether the state has tax or not. We only care about what we can put in the bank in dollars and cents. Period. Full stop.

I guess you missed the part where I said short form only and no deductions, making an even playing field. If higher income earners couldn't write off everything from soup to nuts, then I'd be convinced they were paying their fair share.

Oh, so you want to hold the poor to a higher standard than you hold yourself and others to. Well, why didn't you say so? I mean, only the rich deserve to drink a coke and smoke a cigarette and watch TV. That sounds about right.

Geoff gave you the math on taxes. If you are paying more than that, you better have someone help you with your filing.

As to the cost of birth control, under Obamacare, it is minimal.

3 ways Obamacare changed birth control - CNNPolitics

Oral contraceptives are often times free in public health clinics. Also, many retailers offer a one month supply for $4.00.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 12:06 PM

There is plenty of fake news to go around. Bias from all sides is in abundant supply.

Old 12-22-2017, 12:58 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,474,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
$120k isn't wealthy, it's not even a very high annual income. A married couple where each makes $60k wouldn't consider the $120k wealthy. Heck, probably 60% of the people in my office make that or more. And I'm pretty sure we all pay our fair share of taxes.
Yeah, let's up that. Basically, America's top 1%, although top 5% is still very damn wealthy. We're talking easily millions in wealth, if not 7 to 8 figures. At this level of wealth, you're waay beyond what the common American has to deal with. Those are at this level of wealth without realizing (e.g., they haven't worked their way up, or at least put themselves in other shoes) are the folks who have misconceptions on why the common American doesn't just travel on their own private jets, how you can where the same pair of shoes the next day at work, drive around in a Toyota, or just hire more servants/help if you don't have the time to get stuff done.

Old 12-22-2017, 01:12 PM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1921 View Post
Geoff gave you the math on taxes. If you are paying more than that, you better have someone help you with your filing.

As to the cost of birth control, under Obamacare, it is minimal.

3 ways Obamacare changed birth control - CNNPolitics

Oral contraceptives are often times free in public health clinics. Also, many retailers offer a one month supply for $4.00.
I gave him arithmetic, not math.

Personally, I think birth control should be OTC. We're still in the old George Carlin "You need a note to get laid" skit. If you're in a red state where nobody except pregnant women get Medicaid and Planned Parenthood has been chased out of the state, it's a pretty big barrier to get to an Ob/Gyn to get an Rx. Isn't that exactly the opposite of what we want? We want people to reproduce after they're educated, have some kind of career launched, and are in a stable, long-term relationship with someone educated and with a career?

Old 12-22-2017, 01:41 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
There is plenty of fake news to go around. Bias from all sides is in abundant supply.
Nothing like Fox news though, they carry water for Trump and his cabinet on a daily basis. The only one with any integrity is Shepard Smith and my guess is he will be fired before long

Old 12-22-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I gave him arithmetic, not math.

Personally, I think birth control should be OTC. We're still in the old George Carlin "You need a note to get laid" skit. If you're in a red state where nobody except pregnant women get Medicaid and Planned Parenthood has been chased out of the state, it's a pretty big barrier to get to an Ob/Gyn to get an Rx. Isn't that exactly the opposite of what we want? We want people to reproduce after they're educated, have some kind of career launched, and are in a stable, long-term relationship with someone educated and with a career?
Arithmetic is a branch of math. Your clarification is not necessary.

Secondly, some birth control should not be OTC. Many consumers do not read labels. Oral contraceptives (and other hormone containing contraceptives), for example, should not be taken by women who smoke. They are also contraindicated in patients with a history of a heart attack, stroke, coronary heart disease, history of blood clots, impaired liver function, known or suspected cancer of the breast or reproductive system.

Further, there are concerns as to OC’s in patients that have severe headaches, hypertension, diabetes or strong family history of diabetes, gallbladder disease, acute mononucleosis, sickle cell disease and/or undiagnosed abnormal vaginal bleeding.

Access to contraceptives are not as hard as you make it out to be. If you don’t have access to a clinic, you can call you county health department and they will direct you to resources. Further, if you look at the data, the bigger problem is patient compliance. When you look at prescription data, there is a big gap between new prescriptions and refills. That means we have a good number of patients that have received an initial prescription for a contraceptive, but then the refill rate drops off.

Old 12-22-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Nothing like Fox news though, they carry water for Trump and his cabinet on a daily basis. The only one with any integrity is Shepard Smith and my guess is he will be fired before long
Nothing like fox? To the opposite, the mainstream press has long gotten away from actual reporting the news. Long gone are the days of people like Walter Cronkite.

Old 12-22-2017, 01:53 PM

1,387 posts, read 1,071,316 times
Are you taking that out of hand or have you tracked patients who move or otherwise come to have a new prescription from a new doctor?

And the bucket of reasons why closing PP clinics helps is still looking kind of empty.

Old 12-22-2017, 01:57 PM

1,387 posts, read 1,071,316 times
Quote:
Nothing like fox? To the opposite, the mainstream press has long gotten away from actual reporting the news. Long gone are the days of people like Walter Cronkite.
Walter came to hate the War in Vietnam. He created more anti-war sentiment than all the dirty peace-nik hippies that Nixon ever could have rounded up.

Old 12-22-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
Walter came to hate the War in Vietnam. He created more anti-war sentiment than all the dirty peace-nik hippies that Nixon could ever have rounded up.
It was a point he had on an issue versus a political bias. If you are old enough to have watched him for any length of time and don’t see a difference from what we have todayin our news media, then you have a problem with discernment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics