U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-20-2017, 02:58 PM
 
2,360 posts, read 1,027,668 times
Reputation: 2071

Advertisements

So seems our taxes are going to go up for the middle class and down for the rich.. So with that said, lets fix the welfare system. Here is my thoughts on what to do.

Work 20 hour week min job at any location. Get on some program to prevent further births of unattended accidents. Random drug and drink tests. Max you can stay on the welfare system and housing is 2 years. By then you should be able to gain enough experience in the work force to get full time and better housing.

So any ideas on what to do next? Think if you slap some pretty good restrictions on these programs, it will help our economics in jobs.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-20-2017, 03:16 PM
 
Location: Union City, NJ
1,202 posts, read 683,230 times
Reputation: 1746
The one obvious area where we overspend is military. I would start cutting costs there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2017, 03:20 PM
 
9,086 posts, read 3,701,709 times
Reputation: 13384
make it a combo income match + income insurance system with a minimum of 20 hours worked to stay in the system

they work 20 hours but make $700, the welfare will give them $1300 to get them to $2,000/month (not sure what it is now but it seems like an even number)

they change jobs and work 30 hours and make $1,500, then they get $500 welfare dollars.
maybe they want to stay at 30 hours instead of 40 hours and get $0 welfare dollars because they would still be "netting" $2,000/month. But, some allowances for "abuse" needs to be built in since it'll happen.

at $2,000 or whatever income, they would "make" enough to not get as much food/housing subsidies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2017, 03:36 PM
 
1,120 posts, read 817,384 times
Reputation: 2628
Start cutting it 5% ever year. In 20 years, the problem will be gone. This will give the deadbeats plenty of time to adapt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2017, 03:42 PM
 
Location: TN
86 posts, read 39,324 times
Reputation: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
So seems our taxes are going to go up for the middle class and down for the rich.. So with that said, lets fix the welfare system. Here is my thoughts on what to do.

Work 20 hour week min job at any location. Get on some program to prevent further births of unattended accidents. Random drug and drink tests. Max you can stay on the welfare system and housing is 2 years. By then you should be able to gain enough experience in the work force to get full time and better housing.

So any ideas on what to do next? Think if you slap some pretty good restrictions on these programs, it will help our economics in jobs.?
Although you are going to be wrong about the tax plan. I do agree with your work requirement for welfare and also a 2 year maximum usage. The biggest drag on the welfare system are the slackers using it as a career and then passing that career down to their kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2017, 03:54 PM
 
5,600 posts, read 4,208,217 times
Reputation: 10562
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
So seems our taxes are going to go up for the middle class and down for the rich.. So with that said, lets fix the welfare system. Here is my thoughts on what to do.

Work 20 hour week min job at any location. Get on some program to prevent further births of unattended accidents. Random drug and drink tests. Max you can stay on the welfare system and housing is 2 years. By then you should be able to gain enough experience in the work force to get full time and better housing.

So any ideas on what to do next? Think if you slap some pretty good restrictions on these programs, it will help our economics in jobs.?

Sounds like you have listened to political statements on the new tax plan. More likely taxes are going to go down for almost everyone including some reductions for those who currently pay the most.


Now as to your fixes?


What about people who cannot find a job or are unable to work or need to care for children? Many cannot work 20 hours per week or in fact any hours. I assume you mean you want a program to prevent "unintended" pregnancies and births. There are programs or at least there have been. Now the religious right wingers are destroying them.


Random drug and drink tests. People on welfare are not allowed to drink? Why not just drug test everyone on a random basis? That will help with the war on drugs that has failed for decades and has consumed lots of law enforcement efforts. Substance abuse is considered a medical condition. Do you want to pick some additional medical conditions that would stop someone from getting welfare? Maybe diabetes and obesity. There are lots of people with diabetes or obesity. That would reduce costs.


So you want to end the welfare after 2 years. Just throw the families out onto the streets or just shoot them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2017, 04:04 PM
 
2,360 posts, read 1,027,668 times
Reputation: 2071
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Sounds like you have listened to political statements on the new tax plan. More likely taxes are going to go down for almost everyone including some reductions for those who currently pay the most.


Now as to your fixes?


What about people who cannot find a job or are unable to work or need to care for children? Many cannot work 20 hours per week or in fact any hours. I assume you mean you want a program to prevent "unintended" pregnancies and births. There are programs or at least there have been. Now the religious right wingers are destroying them.


Random drug and drink tests. People on welfare are not allowed to drink? Why not just drug test everyone on a random basis? That will help with the war on drugs that has failed for decades and has consumed lots of law enforcement efforts. Substance abuse is considered a medical condition. Do you want to pick some additional medical conditions that would stop someone from getting welfare? Maybe diabetes and obesity. There are lots of people with diabetes or obesity. That would reduce costs.


So you want to end the welfare after 2 years. Just throw the families out onto the streets or just shoot them?
I am pretty sure they can find work.. rather its flipping burgers to wiping butts in a nursing home. Summer time yards that needs to be mowed, ditches that can be dug up.. their are jobs, its not what they want, but it is a job. Vs just selling dope at the corner as you see at every HUD housing projects. You find that most people in these projects have kids with out fathers and or mothers and have many of them. Stop having more kids that we have to keep feeding while you sit your butt. Make a limit on how many can claim, something to keep them from having more kids just to milk the system. If you got money to buy weed or a 40oz. then you got some money to buy dipers.. its a choice.. get high or get some food for the kids.. priorities vs wants. Shut down the program after x amount of time if they can not show proof they are trying to get a job, and they do have vouchers for daycare workers program. Just matter of finding that daycare and the fatherless child mother to get out their and do something for the family. System was put in place to help them get by untill they can find work, like unemployment.. but wasnt designed to be a family tradition to milk it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2017, 04:29 PM
 
11,316 posts, read 5,839,816 times
Reputation: 20989
There is a ton of uninformed rhetoric in this thread. Bill Clinton 'reformed' welfare in 1996. He put the "T" in Temporary Assistance for Needy Families. 5 year lifetime cap on cash assistance. The law also changed so if you're on public assistance, you don't get more cash for popping out another kid. Poor people have to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2017, 05:08 PM
 
2,360 posts, read 1,027,668 times
Reputation: 2071
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
There is a ton of uninformed rhetoric in this thread. Bill Clinton 'reformed' welfare in 1996. He put the "T" in Temporary Assistance for Needy Families. 5 year lifetime cap on cash assistance. The law also changed so if you're on public assistance, you don't get more cash for popping out another kid. Poor people have to work.
Think they found a loop because their are folks that been on it far longer than 5 years. I know when he made that reformed it tick off lot of people that were stuck in the system..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2017, 05:12 PM
 
1,699 posts, read 1,710,216 times
Reputation: 4000
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Think they found a loop because their are folks that been on it far longer than 5 years. I know when he made that reformed it tick off lot of people that were stuck in the system..
I think the loophole is they file for disability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top