U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 11:53 PM

5,170 posts, read 4,754,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/econo...ports/1967.pdf

50 Years ago. The US Economy was a peach. Aside from the report Time reported that 10% of all goods consumed in the UK were from the US. The US sold 40% of Europe's autos and 80% of their computing power.
Funny how we didn't have a big trade surplus? Or much trade period.

Computing power? In 1967?

The myth that gets constantly repeated, that the US benefited from much of the world's devastation, is baloney. We had a couples years of pretty high trade surplus after WW2 but that was it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 07:22 AM

5,763 posts, read 1,309,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
This being the Economics forum, and not something about politics or culture, I can't avoid mentioning, that 1966-1967 was the beginning of a gruesome and protracted bear-market in stocks - not to end until 1982. It was an awful time to invest, even if manufacturing jobs were plentiful, cars had powerful engines, and a single-income could support a family. So long as we're going to reminisce, I'd much rather go back another 20 years.
As far as investing goes it was actually pretty good. My dad invested in 2nd mortgages. He was getting 15-20% interest on it.

I am concerned that the low interest rates dissuade people from saving their money and instead are too heavily reliant on the stock market.

The personal savings rate was about 12% then now its less than 3%. I believe that makes us much more vulnerable to an economic downturn and having to rely on the government to survive.

Old 12-29-2017, 08:57 AM

17,449 posts, read 23,026,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
and the notion of forcing women out of the workforce and back into the kitchen with no more ambitious a future than to somehow discover the secrets of becoming a Happy Homemaker.
Sadly we are probably headed back to that thanks to the "Metoo" wave of sexual paranoia. Radical feminists are messing things up for all women.

Quote:
Times were so prudish that TV was encouraged only to show Elvis from the waist up so that his gyrating hips would not corrupt any flowers of American womanhood. It was a cold, dark, and gray time indeed.
We are headed back to this, with a speed and a rapidity that would have been unimaginable even a year ago.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:25 AM

1,387 posts, read 607,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Sadly we are probably headed back to that thanks to the "Metoo" wave of sexual paranoia. Radical feminists are messing things up for all women.
Fault here begins with a much too large group of males who cannot control themselves and -- worse yet -- don't think they need to.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:59 AM

289 posts, read 429,616 times
Quote:

We are headed back to this, with a speed and a rapidity that would have been unimaginable even a year ago.

Ah, for the good old days when you could grope, fondle and molest any girl that took your fancy with impunity any time you wanted. They're just asking for it by being in the workforce, after all! If they complain, we'll just force 'em back into the kitchen so they can make me a sammich, that'll teach 'em!!

Old 12-29-2017, 10:59 AM

8,021 posts, read 6,250,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Yes, people tend to look at the past with rose colored glasses.
Quote:
Correction: The World was pretty from about 1946-1963, then it began to drastically change, and not for the better.

And when you really look deeply, you find there have been some very shady people manipulating world events for several hundred years--and their vise grip continues to tighten.
Oh the irony.

Quote:
I think part of why it was better was because people had more realistic expectations. There was also not as much of an income/wealth gap. People inevitable compare themselves to others, even though they shouldn't. So even if a middle class standard of living today is higher, the spread between the bottom and the top of the middle class is wider than it was then, and people always compare up; they almost never compare down. So there's more to be unhappy about in that regard. Families were also more stable. I know lefties like to say the liberation of women was a good thing; but not in every respect. High divorce rates have come at a high emotional and financial cost to both parents & children.
Quote:

Those evil lefties and feminist suggesting that women have the right to choose what lives they want to live like men or being thought of as human beings instead of being barefoot and pregnant.

You know as usual I believe all these complaints about who is at fault for why the country isn't as prosperous as it once was makes me wonder that it may really be no one's fault. It may just be the inevitability of change that happens to economies, societies and life itself. And people can't handle that so they come up with conspiracy theories and make up political enemies in their head to blame.

There was a time when most of the country worked on farms, then the industrial revolution happened and resulting in most Americans leaving farmlands and switching to work in factories in overcrowded cities.

I wonder if people whined and complained about change back then as much as they do now.

Free trade has been a game changer, but as usual automation has been the biggest game changer to the economy.

We benefited from the post-war boom economically but psychologically it has had a damaging affect on many people of this country like a heroin addict in withdrawal.

Before then, the average person never experienced as much prosperity as they did after WWII. It brought with it the concept of conspicuous consumption that many people bemoan today.

But that time wasn't going to last. Economies change.

Time to enter rehab America and let go of that era.

Last edited by Ro2113; 12-29-2017 at 11:11 AM..

Old 12-29-2017, 11:07 AM

27,420 posts, read 11,481,857 times
Quote:
Sadly we are probably headed back to that thanks to the "Metoo" wave of sexual paranoia. Radical feminists are messing things up for all women. We are headed back to this, with a speed and a rapidity that would have been unimaginable even a year ago.
If you are trying to blame women for a high divorce rate and low marriage rate you should try to at least confirm that you know what you are talking about. The divorce rate went up after states passed 'no fault' divorce laws, prior to that it was painfully expensive to get a divorce you had to prove abuse or infidelity so many people decided to just stay married. And there's no evidence that the marriage rate dropped because of women, I think overall more women than men choose to get married, so maybe it was the "radical men" who opted out of marriage

And I have no idea what you think we are headed back to, that's just silly. The divorce rate is now at it's lowest in 40 years and the rate of marriage has increased:

"The U.S. divorce rate dropped for the third year in a row, reaching its lowest point in nearly 40 years, according to data released Thursday. Marriage rates, on the other hand, increased last year. In 2015, there were 32.2 marriages for every 1,000 unmarried women age 15 or older, according to the National Center for Family and Marriage Research at Bowling Green State University. This represents a jump from 31.9 in 2014 and is the highest number of marriages since 2009, which suggests that marriage rates may be stabilizing after decades of decline."
Divorce Rate in U.S. Drops to Nearly 40-Year Low | Time

Old 12-29-2017, 11:19 AM

1,674 posts, read 779,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I bought a copy of Arthur Frommer's "Europe on $5 a Day" and started planning. Spent most of '68 touring Europe, on an average of $7 a day. 210 days on $1500, lodging/food/transport. In London, B&B in Edgeware Road was 15 shillings (75p). I think the RT ticket across the Atlantic was $135.

I did that in 1967. Any day I spent $5 was a day of unbridled luxury. In Lisbon, we stayed in a pension that cost $1 per night (for both of us) and that included a breakfast that carried us through until supper. If I wanted a shower, it was six cents. Most other places ran about $2 or less for a double room. Some nights, we slept on a train or in the station.

Old 12-29-2017, 11:43 AM

17,449 posts, read 23,026,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
If you are trying to blame women for a high divorce rate and low marriage rate you should try to at least confirm that you know what you are talking about. The divorce rate went up after states passed 'no fault' divorce laws, prior to that it was painfully expensive to get a divorce you had to prove abuse or infidelity so many people decided to just stay married. And there's no evidence that the marriage rate dropped because of women, I think overall more women than men choose to get married, so maybe it was the "radical men" who opted out of marriage

And I have no idea what you think we are headed back to, that's just silly. The divorce rate is now at it's lowest in 40 years and the rate of marriage has increased:

"The U.S. divorce rate dropped for the third year in a row, reaching its lowest point in nearly 40 years, according to data released Thursday. Marriage rates, on the other hand, increased last year. In 2015, there were 32.2 marriages for every 1,000 unmarried women age 15 or older, according to the National Center for Family and Marriage Research at Bowling Green State University. This represents a jump from 31.9 in 2014 and is the highest number of marriages since 2009, which suggests that marriage rates may be stabilizing after decades of decline."
I was actually talking about the workplace, not necessarily divorce. I am aware of Reagan signing a no-fault divorce law as governor and the rapid spread of no-fault divorce to almost all states by the end of the '70s and to all states by the end of the 20th century. I am aware of how difficult it was to get a divorce before that (the divorce laws in South Carolina being unchanged from colonial days were especially ridiculous!) It's interesting to me how no-fault divorce spread so fast even to socially conservative states with little outcry (Alabama and Mississippi adapted no-fault divorce not long after California did). Ruth Bader Ginsburg wrote before she was a SCOTUS justice that if not for Roe v. Wade abortion would have spread without controversy much like no fault divorce did, because it was not imposed by the SCOTUS but by the states themselves. Justice Ginsburg is a strong supporter of abortion rights and Roe, but she acknowledges that the way abortion was legalized helped fuel the pro-life movement. If SCOTUS had declared divorce laws unconstitutional as it did with not only abortion but also the death penalty in the '70s, no doubt no-fault would have been more controversial.

The sexual harrassment panic has made Mike Pence's strategy of not meeting with women alone privately look very prudent. I could easily see it being used as an excuse to not hire women and to justify discrimination based on gender. Which I do not regard as a good thing but a very bad one. However the folks behind "metoo" failed to recognize the forces they were playing with and set in motion. We could very well be headed for Handmaid's Tale territory because of them.While Weinstein is certainly a very bad man and a model for the exaltation of mean, sociopathic bosses, society seems to have learned the wrong lesson from his antics. A shame that the outcry wasn't over the promotion of the culture of bullying in the workplace in general and instead got twisted into a jihad against males.

A large part of the reason for less divorce is less marriage and more illegitimacy.

Old 12-29-2017, 12:01 PM

27,420 posts, read 11,481,857 times
Quote:
I was actually talking about the workplace, not necessarily divorce....
The sexual harrassment panic has made Mike Pence's strategy of not meeting with women alone privately look very prudent. I could easily see it being used as an excuse to not hire women and to justify discrimination based on gender. Which I do not regard as a good thing but a very bad one. However the folks behind "metoo" failed to recognize the forces they were playing with and set in motion. We could very well be headed for Handmaid's Tale territory because of them.While Weinstein is certainly a very bad man and a model for the exaltation of mean, sociopathic bosses, society seems to have learned the wrong lesson from his antics. A shame that the outcry wasn't over the promotion of the culture of bullying in the workplace in general and instead got twisted into a jihad against males.
A jihad against males? For decades women have been sexually harassed or abused and remained silent, now they come out and it's a jihad against males? Well, how about this, men should keep their hands to themselves and watch what they say to women and they won't have to worry. In part what's happened recently is an overreaction and in time it will settle down but I am 100% convinced that what brought this to a head is women having to look at the groper in chief POTUS every day and it brings back every bad memory of situations when men have acted inappropriately with them.
Quote:
A large part of the reason for less divorce is less marriage and more illegitimacy.
Except that marriage rates are up, not down.
"Marriage rates, on the other hand, increased last year. In 2015, there were 32.2 marriages for every 1,000 unmarried women age 15 or older, according to the National Center for Family and Marriage Research at Bowling Green State University. This represents a jump from 31.9 in 2014 and is the highest number of marriages since 2009, which suggests that marriage rates may be stabilizing after decades of decline."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or