U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 11:15 AM

436 posts, read 170,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Most of us on social security are living on less than minimum wage. I certainly have done so for the past 27 years.
you dont pay taxes on ss so automatic 20-35% raise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 11:33 AM

6,161 posts, read 4,376,194 times
The reality is that where you can live on the least, there tends to be little or no work, for minimum wage or not. The able gravitate to where work can be had, regardless of whether living expenses are higher, leaving the infirm, disabled, and elderly behind.

Old 12-30-2017, 03:43 PM

6,308 posts, read 4,774,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclist1968 View Post
In the 1970's, the man of the house could work f/t and support a family. barely but it was possible
For minimum wage? Seriously?

No, the man of the house could work full time in a factory job or skilled trade and support a family. Most of the factory jobs are gone but a plumber, electrician, etc. still can. Many of those tradesmen make over $100K.

Also, the standard of living was much lower. A 1000 square foot slab house with no air conditioning, no basement, no attic, and no garage was considered middle class. I know, I grew up in one.

Old 12-30-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
The reality is that where you can live on the least, there tends to be little or no work, for minimum wage or not. The able gravitate to where work can be had, regardless of whether living expenses are higher, leaving the infirm, disabled, and elderly behind.
I think you hit the nail on the head.

Where living on the least most often=no jobs

Cheaper living in our recreational town but still above the average cost to live in California. No jobs here. Closest plentiful jobs are in Nevada and for most every line of work, they pay less. And you still have to pay Calif taxes even if working in Nevada where there is no income tax. Truckee, Calif has a few good jobs.

I decided to work 3 days a week FULL TIME. A 3.5 hr round trip commute. A straight through shift while getting about 5 hrs sleep a night (on call) then have 4 days off each week. Problem is...it is satudray and it takes almost until right now to collect my thoughts. Major vegetative state for about 24 hrs after I get off of such a long shift. But it saves on gasoline and again, almost no jobs in this town. The town's bread and butter is Tourism

The few jobs here are working for the county or state and they are hard to come by. Not enough year round population to sustain a business so my husband drives 45 min to work 3 days a week and works here for the locals the rest of the time.

Last edited by Cyclist1968; 12-30-2017 at 03:57 PM..

Old 12-30-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
For minimum wage? Seriously?

No, the man of the house could work full time in a factory job or skilled trade and support a family. Most of the factory jobs are gone but a plumber, electrician, etc. still can. Many of those tradesmen make over $100K.

Also, the standard of living was much lower. A 1000 square foot slab house with no air conditioning, no basement, no attic, and no garage was considered middle class. I know, I grew up in one.
Yes, sorry I forgot to say minimum wage but I guess it was implied.

I've read that and my parents back that up. Dad knew many people when he was young who had a few kids like he did, working at just the local grocery stores, gas stations, Sears, etc...all made it on their salary but JUST BARELY. He wasn't making much in his early 20's working for Southern Pacific RR when he first started. As time passed, that was a good enough job he never got into anything else.

I remember him and his brothers and sisters agreeing upon this because it is on video. THere is no audio but when we would watch it, the family would recall what they were discussing. Btw, my grandparents worked in a factory when they came over with $20 and 8 kids from Arkansas. My Dad was 7 yrs old, the baby. Pretty gutsy!

Last edited by Cyclist1968; 12-30-2017 at 03:58 PM..

Old 12-30-2017, 05:20 PM

5,170 posts, read 4,737,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
If they work for themselves and they are good and established, they can make that money. That's very different from a factory job in terms of skillset and talent.

Old 12-30-2017, 05:21 PM

24,750 posts, read 26,817,884 times
I am certain there are no cities "were" you can live on minimum wage.

Old 12-30-2017, 06:27 PM

5,170 posts, read 4,737,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Any thoughts?
I expected a bunch of lousy midwestern towns, but there are a lot of decent areas in the west and SW on the list.

The near-MW demographic generally don't move where the jobs are, or consider affordability. Rather young people flock to the popular expensive places just because they are "hot", and then complain about how they can't afford to live there.

Old 12-30-2017, 07:49 PM

29,738 posts, read 47,525,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
I expected a bunch of lousy midwestern towns, but there are a lot of decent areas in the west and SW on the list.

The near-MW demographic generally don't move where the jobs are, or consider affordability. Rather young people flock to the popular expensive places just because they are "hot", and then complain about how they can't afford to live there.
In this part of New England, young adults flee seeking jobs and whatever is 'hot'. While the middle aged and retirees migrate here for the low COL and lifestyle.

I do not think you will ever find high paying jobs in a low COL area; the two ideas are opposites.

Old 12-30-2017, 07:59 PM

33,046 posts, read 20,736,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I am certain there are no cities "were" you can live on minimum wage.

There once "were" cities where you could live on minimum wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or