Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 08:17 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,189,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
I am sure this is for a single person with no kids..
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/real...Bnb7Kz#image=1

Any thoughts?
Title of thread should be "Cities where you can live on minimum wage without sharing your space."

As for places where you can live in minimum wage without any roommates, I would say there aren't any places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 08:29 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post
As for places where you can live in minimum wage without any roommates,
I would say there aren't any places.
And there never has been ANYWHERE that a Minimum wage worker could expect to live alone.

I think the Basic Income advocates want/need to recast the expectations of MW
in order to make their own objectives seem more reasonable.

Old 12-31-2017, 10:15 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,922,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
And there never has been ANYWHERE that a Minimum wage worker could expect to live alone.

I think the Basic Income advocates want/need to recast the expectations of MW
in order to make their own objectives seem more reasonable.
Whatever happened to roommates? Or has that gone out of style in recent years.

Old 12-31-2017, 10:38 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
There seem to be a lot who have been raised to believe they are above such.
You'll see them here almost bragging on spending half their gross (or more) on housing costs.
Idiots.

Old 12-31-2017, 10:45 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
That is in disagreement with the reality of my life.

I have had many tenants who were Minimum-Wage workers, able to support themselves.

I know many of my neighbors today, who bring in far less than MW.

Old 12-31-2017, 10:56 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,593,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Why would I want to live somewhere with a local economy so weak that housing is affordable on minimum wage? Anybody from that place with any neurons firing would have long before left for a place with more opportunities. Retail is Walmart and the Dollar Store. Few college educated professionals so the schools will be awful. Flyover country. No thanks.
You need to get out more. Did you even look at the list? Affordable housing is more the norm than the exception in the US, and some of the cities are in the best places to live, IMO. Albuquerque, Tucson, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Sacramento for instance.

If you have the talent to make big bucks, then you're probably inclined to follow the highest bidder, but low talent people making near MW are playing a slightly different game. Or at least they should be.

Old 12-31-2017, 11:31 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,189,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
I don't like living with others. I prefer having my own place where my stuff isn't at the mercy of somebody else, friend or otherwise.

Old 12-31-2017, 11:40 AM

436 posts, read 302,371 times
when you are poor, the last thing you need is a roommate ripping off everything you own of value

Old 12-31-2017, 12:43 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,593,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclist1968 View Post
when you are poor, the last thing you need is a roommate ripping off everything you own of value
Make sure you don't marry them....

Old 12-31-2017, 02:30 PM

658 posts, read 721,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclist1968 View Post
In the 1970's, the man of the house could work f/t and support a family. barely but it was possible
The middle class is being destroyed because the rich are insanely greedy and will do anything to take as much as they can and horde it away. They want anyone who isn't at least a millionaire to be part of a new serfdom and have nothing as wages and live on the street while still being "productive" and serving their interests. We're going backwards in terms of economics and rewarding the greedy (who often are born into power and money rather than actually starting with nothing and earning it themselves) while simultaneously trying to paint anyone who doesn't own a business as scum of the earth who do no "real work" or don't "work hard" or are lazy and spend their days drinking and sleeping.

We assume everyone with money and power deserves it and everyone poor doesn't deserve anything but suffering. Even Christians will judge who deserves stuff and who doesn't. (When Jesus came and died for you because nothing you could do would ever be good enough to save yourself, you have a real nerve deciding what other people do and don't deserve).

The middle class will be crushed into oblivion and what is left will be those who work for a dollar an hour if that while other poor people pay their wages (think tipping as wages, which is how some industries already do it).

How much do you honestly think companies would pay workers if there wasn't a min. wage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics