Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 01:56 AM

7,650 posts, read 4,599,879 times

Advertisements

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/econo...ports/1967.pdf

50 Years ago. The US Economy was a peach. Aside from the report Time reported that 10% of all goods consumed in the UK were from the US. The US sold 40% of Europe's autos and 80% of their computing power. Sheer capital made scale possible for the US companies that the war torn regions just couldn't catch up to...of course some may say that was only until we started diverting said capital advantage to war efforts, others may say it's actually healthier and inevitable that the world started producing its own goods. I never realized how dominant the US really was. Trade surpluses are pretty nice.

At any rate, it amazes me, the script style, the simplicity, the cause and effect. It also treats money as a finite resource. GNP growth was x, this much will be spent on the military, this much left to the private sector.

I though it was neat. Maybe you guys will too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 02:11 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/econo...ports/1967.pdf

50 Years ago. The US Economy was a peach. Aside from the report Time reported that 10% of all goods consumed in the UK were from the US. The US sold 40% of Europe's autos and 80% of their computing power. Sheer capital made scale possible for the US companies that the war torn regions just couldn't catch up to...of course some may say that was only until we started diverting said capital advantage to war efforts, others may say it's actually healthier and inevitable that the world started producing its own goods. I never realized how dominant the US really was. Trade surpluses are pretty nice.

At any rate, it amazes me, the script style, the simplicity, the cause and effect. It also treats money as a finite resource. GNP growth was x, this much will be spent on the military, this much left to the private sector.

I though it was neat. Maybe you guys will too.
This is no secret how far the U.S. was ahead of everyone else. But it wasn't going to stay at that level forever.

Old 12-26-2017, 02:16 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
I bought a copy of Arthur Frommer's "Europe on $5 a Day" and started planning. Spent most of '68 touring Europe, on an average of $7 a day. 210 days on $1500, lodging/food/transport. In London, B&B in Edgeware Road was 15 shillings (75p). I think the RT ticket across the Atlantic was $135.

Old 12-26-2017, 08:13 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,071,989 times
The European economy was still crippled in 1947. It was not by 1967. The boasts of American Exceptionalists are both many and decidedly overblown. The Economic Report of the President is meanwhile written every year by staff at OMB and CEA. These folks are not quite as bad as Mike Pence, but they are not in any sense a bunch of independent, non-partisan people.

Old 12-26-2017, 10:25 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
From 1947 t\o 1967, the USA did do a great deal to aid western Europe's economy, enabled by the fact that the US didn't have any of its own war-damaged infrastructure to repair. But it was not done of any altruism, but to outbid the communist bloc to win, with cash, the hearts and minds of the Europeans, and keep their economies healthy enough to become captive markets for US exporters.

Old 12-26-2017, 11:31 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
it was also the civil rights era...

https://www.loc.gov/exhibits/civil-r...ights-era.html

it wasn't all "peaches" in the US

Old 12-27-2017, 01:17 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Iirc... flights were not cheap (especially at adjusted price)
https://www.theatlantic.com/business...oticed/273506/

Gas... $0.19/gal

The USA was a manf and export powerhouse.
We eventually exported our expertise, fiancé sector, and industrial skillset, Which will / has come back to to bite US(a).

USA muscle cars were impressive in 1967!,,,, emission de-tuning began in 1968.

In 1967, you could still stand proud as a US military vet. (Soon to change)

Old 12-27-2017, 01:57 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
I only remember Vietnam. I was there.

Old 12-27-2017, 06:55 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,071,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
it was also the civil rights era...it wasn't all "peaches" in the US
It certainly wasn't. Rah-rah types tend to think of the 1950's as some sort of golden age, but we went through three difficult recessions during the decade and of course, the Soviets beat us into space with Sputnik, making us look and feel like a second rate power. And in addition to Jim Crow at home, we had the disgraceful witch hunts of Joe McCarthy and HUAC, and the notion of forcing women out of the workforce and back into the kitchen with no more ambitious a future than to somehow discover the secrets of becoming a Happy Homemaker. Times were so prudish that TV was encouraged only to show Elvis from the waist up so that his gyrating hips would not corrupt any flowers of American womanhood. It was a cold, dark, and gray time indeed.

Old 12-27-2017, 07:44 AM

4,861 posts, read 2,673,519 times
I graduated high school in 66..blue collar jobs that you only needed a high school education and could support a family on were a dime a dozen..gone, gone, gone are those days..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics