U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2018, 03:50 PM

5,082 posts, read 6,233,640 times

Advertisements

I hope this is the right place to ask. My husband and I always file Married, filing separately, as it always is most beneficial to us. I don't see that changing for our 2017 taxes.

I have had a lot of medical expenses this year. I have meticulously kept track of all expenses on a spreadsheet, saved receipts, etc. It will exceed 10% of our income.

My question is, if we file separately, do we split these expenses or can I declare all of them on my return since they are my expenses? We live in a community property state (Texas).

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 04:00 PM

2,203 posts, read 2,274,867 times
If you file separately, they should be reflected on your return. Also, if one of you itemizes, then the other should also itemize.
https://www.irs.gov/publications/p504

Old 01-03-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
If you file separately, they should be reflected on your return. Also, if one of you itemizes, then the other should also itemize.
https://www.irs.gov/publications/p504
Thank you. Yes, we both itemize. But things such as mortgage interest, local and property taxes, etc. all have to be split 50/50, so I was wondering if the medical expenses had to be split the same way.

Old 01-03-2018, 05:42 PM

6,014 posts, read 2,701,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I hope this is the right place to ask. My husband and I always file Married, filing separately, as it always is most beneficial to us. I don't see that changing for our 2017 taxes.

I have had a lot of medical expenses this year. I have meticulously kept track of all expenses on a spreadsheet, saved receipts, etc. It will exceed 10% of our income.

My question is, if we file separately, do we split these expenses or can I declare all of them on my return since they are my expenses? We live in a community property state (Texas).

TIA!
Based on the new tax law that just passed, your expenses only need to exceed 7.5% of adjusted gross income to be deductible. It was passed retroactive for 2017 and also for 2018. It goes back to 10% for tax year 2019.

Everything I read for how you split says if the expenses were paid out of a joint account in a community property state you must split between the two of you.

Old 01-03-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Based on the new tax law that just passed, your expenses only need to exceed 7.5% of adjusted gross income to be deductible. It was passed retroactive for 2017 and also for 2018. It goes back to 10% for tax year 2019.

Everything I read for how you split says if the expenses were paid out of a joint account in a community property state you must split between the two of you.
Thank you. Yes, they were all paid from joint accounts. So good that we can deduct anything over 7.5%, bad that we need to split it.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:09 PM

6,014 posts, read 2,701,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Thank you. Yes, they were all paid from joint accounts. So good that we can deduct anything over 7.5%, bad that we need to split it.
Yeah, bummer that you need to split it.

There are exceptions in community property states, if you paid for it out of non community property funds like inheritances kept separate or gifts and maybe(not sure) funds brought into the marriage. If you have either of those and reimburse your spouse you could probably make a case for taking the deduction all on your return.

That's assuming you had to make a case, as the odds of being audited on this are slim to none as less than 2% of all returns are audited.

Is this a one time thing or a chronic condition where you will have deductions in the future? If chronic, you might want to consult a tax accountant to determine how to maximize your deduction. Also, if chronic, you might want to see if you have family members willing to gift you money for this purpose.

Old 01-04-2018, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Yeah, bummer that you need to split it.

There are exceptions in community property states, if you paid for it out of non community property funds like inheritances kept separate or gifts and maybe(not sure) funds brought into the marriage. If you have either of those and reimburse your spouse you could probably make a case for taking the deduction all on your return.

That's assuming you had to make a case, as the odds of being audited on this are slim to none as less than 2% of all returns are audited.

Is this a one time thing or a chronic condition where you will have deductions in the future? If chronic, you might want to consult a tax accountant to determine how to maximize your deduction. Also, if chronic, you might want to see if you have family members willing to gift you money for this purpose.
Hopefully, it's a one-time thing. The funds didn't come from any of those sources, so we'll have to split it.

Another question, I have also kept meticulous records for my kids because I figured it could help get us over the 10% (now 7.5%) hump. With both of them in braces and glasses/contacts, it adds up. Can we just add all the medical expenses together and split them, no matter who declares the kids?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics