U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 04:01 PM

7,062 posts, read 6,694,952 times

Advertisements

They announced the Warren plant investment a year ago also. There's also a lot of uncertainty about NAFTA. US wants more of the auto assembly jobs to come back from Canada and Mexico. There was recent news from Canada that Trump may unilaterally pull out when the negotiations resume near the end of this month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 04:06 AM

1,048 posts, read 571,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
The United States isn’t “most countries”. We are the primary reserve currency and need to meet international and domestic demand for dollars. The system doesn’t work unless we run deficits, including trade deficits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supposn View Post
ThatsRight, you're contention is pure, (but original) nonsense. Please reconsider your unique concept. I have never encountered a similar opinion or concept anywhere else. You're able to provide some logical basis to support your opinion?

Annual trade deficits are always net detrimental to their nation's gross domestic product, (i.e. GDP). That's a fact embedded within the conventionally and most commonly used formula employed by the world's communities of economists and statisticians for calculating GDPs. Within any other such formulas, that fact's inferred.
Logically, a lesser GDP reflects and is reflected upon a nation's lesser numbers of jobs than otherwise.

Respectfully, Supposn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
A unique concept? Are you serious, Clark?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triffin_dilemma
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_saving_glut

After your embarrassing start to this thread discussing the international tax rate\system, I guess you want to double down on being wrong about the international reserve system too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supposn View Post
ThatsRight, I sit corrected before my keyboard. The concept seemed so implausible that I didn't wait for a chance to discuss it with my son.

I'm very much aware of trade deficit's detriment to their nation's GDPs, but my son rather than I is more knowledgeable regarding U.S. Federal Reserve Board's attempts to regulate the U.S. Dollar's value.
I think regulating it is an impossible task and I'm grateful and amazed they have not yet destroyed ours and much of the remaining world's economy.

USA's annual trade deficits detrimental effects upon our GDP and numbers of jobs is a real effect. ...
ThatsRight, my son and I have not yet had an opportunity to talk.
While posting the following facts within another group, their relationship to our discussion occurred to me:
The balance of payments is the net accounting of wealth among nations. It consists of the current and the capital accounts, due to statistical differences such the precise moments reflected by component statistical factors), a nation's annual balance of payments is always approximately zero.

The current accounts are nations' net balances of trade,(i.e. international trade of goods and services), plus transfers of wealth.

The capital accounts are nations' net transfers of ownership.
The gross domestic product is the monetary value of the nations' goods and service productions.
////////////////////////

ThatsRight, regardless of the U.S. dollar being employed as a reserve currency, trade deficit's are always detrimental to their nation's GDP. Anything detrimental to USA's GDP is somewhat detrimental to our numbers of jobs. If USA adopted the Import Certificate policy our numbers of jobs would be more than otherwise.

Respectfully, Supposn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics