U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 07:59 AM

2,344 posts, read 1,072,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
In the overall budget, the coach's salaries would disappear in rounding. Sports teams bring in a huge amount of revenue in ticket sales, concessions, broadcast rights, gear sales, even parking.
Lol. You do realize the athletic department usually brings in the dough to fund many of the other departments right?? Silly stuff like engineering, IT and business.

Alabama's football program brought in over 100 million bucks to the school. Basically paid for the entire school of engineering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 08:38 AM

3,209 posts, read 1,657,419 times
Terrible idea. If I went to Harvard instead of "Sony of Hoboken", I'd want everyone to know it. Only those who went to Hoboken college would want that information hidden.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:39 AM

5,720 posts, read 1,749,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post
At 18, I was smart enough to do my reseach before going to college. I graduated with a debt of 25k after four years with a degree that's in high demand. It's been 5 years since i graduated and i am already earning enough to pay it off all at once if I ever decide. But, I noticed most people aren't in the same boat as me. And it seems like college is getting ridicously more expensive every year... so this got me thinking...

Why can't there be a law that prevent potential employers from figuring out which university you attend??They can still check whether or not you have w.e. degree or license you claim, what state and year you finished... but not the name of the school. There shouldn't even be an option where the employee can give the employer permission to find out.

This would make expensive private universities less desirable thus reducing their price. What do you think?
As is so often the case, the problem is government interference with the market. In this case it's government subsidies of student loans. Those subsidies result in too much loan money, which allows schools to keep raising their prices.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:55 AM

2,283 posts, read 1,419,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
You want to reduce the cost of college, get rid of the athletics and the multi million dollar coaches. They should be institutions of learning, not training facilities for the NFL & NBA.
Many athletic programs create a surplus and send funding back to the general fund....the athletic programs are also essentially national advertising programs for the school.

If they want to lower the cost of education, the government needs to be removed from the equation. The faster they try to make more money available for education, the faster the costs of education will rise.

College costs have exploded because of the availability of cheap money.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:55 AM

6,402 posts, read 2,619,378 times
Quote:
At 18, I was smart enough to do my reseach before going to college. I graduated with a debt of 25k after four years with a degree that's in high demand. It's been 5 years since i graduated and i am already earning enough to pay it off all at once if I ever decide. But, I noticed most people aren't in the same boat as me. And it seems like college is getting ridicously more expensive every year... so this got me thinking...

Why can't there be a law that prevent potential employers from figuring out which university you attend??They can still check whether or not you have w.e. degree or license you claim, what state and year you finished... but not the name of the school. There shouldn't even be an option where the employee can give the employer permission to find out.

This would make expensive private universities less desirable thus reducing their price. What do you think?
No thanks. We have too many laws already. We're repealing thousands of them now that we have a pro-business administration.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:21 AM

12,878 posts, read 9,548,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedgoats4sale View Post
What about people that are not born into a rich family?
What about them?

Old 01-10-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
That would put elite colleges out of business
I agree it is a dumb idea, but I don't think it would put elite colleges out of business. Elite colleges and universities, for the most part, are actually hedge funds that just happen to own a university as part of their portfolio and to get tax exempt status. The hedge fund operations would continue just fine.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
As is so often the case, the problem is government interference with the market. In this case it's government subsidies of student loans. Those subsidies result in too much loan money, which allows schools to keep raising their prices.
^^^ This. ^^^ [/endofdiscussion]

Old 01-10-2018, 11:13 AM

15,956 posts, read 8,883,089 times
Quote:

I think that private universities are unfairly maligned as being more expensive than public options. Many private universities have endowments that make it more affordable for students than a state university.

As for your idea, it's certainly out-of-the-box thinking, but I do not agree that it's a good option for reducing college costs.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:48 PM

6,171 posts, read 4,991,266 times
College does not necessarily need to be expensive. If you study something that leads to a high starting salary like computer science, that 20 or 30k worth of loans will pay you back in no time if the starting salary is 70k+ a year.

The people I know that are in trouble (like my brothers girlfriend) who took out big loans to go out of state to study something low paying like social work will have it a lot tougher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics