U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-12-2018, 07:59 PM
 
2,390 posts, read 2,117,164 times
Reputation: 2549

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
If only for big time programs with storied histories. And no, doing away with Title IX wouldn't make a dent in most schools budgets.

Questionable that you would zero in on that.
If you add up the amount of money spent on athletic programs that are in the red, it probably comes out to many billions of dollars annually.

I guess if it "wouldn't make a dent", then might as well just keep on wasting money, huh?

Sound logic right there.

Sounds like you'd be a great university president.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-12-2018, 08:01 PM
 
2,390 posts, read 2,117,164 times
Reputation: 2549
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Businesses no longer want to invest in training people, they expect the colleges to pump out "turn key" employees.
Given the prices students pay for that education, I don't think that's really asking too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2018, 08:04 PM
 
8,021 posts, read 6,220,904 times
Reputation: 12004
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
If you add up the amount of money spent on athletic programs that are in the red, it probably comes out to many billions of dollars annually.

I guess if it "wouldn't make a dent", then might as well just keep on wasting money, huh?

Sound logic right there.

Sounds like you'd be a great university president.
Do you have any concrete numbers to back up your point? How much money do you really think a university spends on sports like water polo? I'm guessing not much compared to the rest of the budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2018, 08:28 PM
 
6,308 posts, read 4,765,469 times
Reputation: 8437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
What about the utterly cynical franchised diploma mills like University of Arizona and National University that boast about how few "irrelevant" classes their night-school crowd has to take?
University of Phoenix. U of Arizona is a real place.

Quote:
("'Whom are you?' he asked politely, for he had been to night school." - someone like Thornton Wilder.)
Right, we all make mistakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2018, 09:00 PM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
2,961 posts, read 1,012,279 times
Reputation: 3781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
University of Phoenix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2018, 04:46 PM
 
Location: East TN
144 posts, read 77,161 times
Reputation: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Define rich.

Family of four making $60,000 with one in college goes to UC for free. Higher income, but not rich, family of four making $100,000 would pay the full price of around $14,000. I wouldn't call either rich. The latter can do what I did and pay for it. After freshman year I didn't get any need-based aid. Parents paid for my car insurance the one year I had a car, my medical insurance, and my cell phone. I took out loans and worked to pay for tuition, books, rent, food, spending money.

Who cares if it's double the income of some people. One dollar is more income than some people. That doesn't mean it's a lot of money. Median earnings of a college graduate will more than pay for that in a year over what someone with a high school diploma has, so no, not particularly expensive.
:having a great deal of money

Rich people get to go to school for free.
They have parents that can pay for a car, insurance, phone.
They can get loans, because their parents can sign for them.

Who cares? Apparently, no one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2018, 06:39 PM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
2,961 posts, read 1,012,279 times
Reputation: 3781
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedgoats4sale View Post
Rich people get to go to school for free.
They have parents that can pay for a car, insurance, phone.
They can get loans, because their parents can sign for them.

Who cares? Apparently, no one.
Who is it that should?

You also are using the word "free" a bit oddly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2018, 07:44 PM
 
Location: The analog world
15,530 posts, read 8,734,436 times
Reputation: 20837
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedgoats4sale View Post
:having a great deal of money

Rich people get to go to school for free.
They have parents that can pay for a car, insurance, phone.
They can get loans, because their parents can sign for them.

Who cares? Apparently, no one.
People with resources pay for their children to attend school. They do not sign for loans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2018, 08:33 AM
 
Location: Paranoid State
12,668 posts, read 9,420,097 times
Reputation: 14916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Government-backed student loans are certainly fuel to the fire, but I don't see them as a particularly direct cause of rising college costs.
See for example

Credit Supply and the Rise in College Tuition: Evidence from the Expansion in Federal Student Aid Programs
https://www.newyorkfed.org/medialibr...orts/sr733.pdf

Accounting for the Rise in College Tuition
http://www.nber.org/chapters/c13711.pdf

Student Loans May Be Driving the Tuition Explosion
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...loans-fed-says

Student Loan Subsidies Cause Almost All of the Increase in Tuition
https://fee.org/articles/student-loa...se-in-tuition/

Our Greedy Colleges - NYTimes.com

Does Federal Student Aid Cause Tuition Increases?
https://www.forbes.com/sites/akelly/.../#25fb44de21e0

How Unlimited Student Loans Drive Up Tuition
https://www.forbes.com/sites/preston.../#3aed8f9d52b6

The Real Reasons Why College Tuition is So High and What you Can Do About it - The Scholarship System

Federal Reserve report finds link between increased federal aid, rising tuition | News for College Students | USA TODAY College

Study: Yes, Student Loans Are Making College More Expensive - Hit & Run : Reason.com

Are Student Loans Causing College Tuitions to Skyrocket? | Credit.com

Federal student loans may cause high college tuition prices - Business Insider

HOW FEDERAL STUDENT LOANS INCREASE TUITION AND DECREASE AID

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...drives-tuition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2018, 08:39 AM
 
Location: Paranoid State
12,668 posts, read 9,420,097 times
Reputation: 14916
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Businesses no longer want to invest in training people, they expect the colleges to pump out "turn key" employees.
False. Businesses don't expect anything.

It is the responsibility of student to acquire both education and relevant job skills. If the student does so, in the current job market the student will be showered with opportunities. If the student fails to do so, well, at least they had 4 years of partying, sex, drugs, & rock'n'roll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top