Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 04:53 PM

801 posts, read 545,600 times

Advertisements

At 18, I was smart enough to do my reseach before going to college. I graduated with a debt of 25k after four years with a degree that's in high demand. It's been 5 years since i graduated and i am already earning enough to pay it off all at once if I ever decide. But, I noticed most people aren't in the same boat as me. And it seems like college is getting ridicously more expensive every year... so this got me thinking...

Why can't there be a law that prevent potential employers from figuring out which university you attend??They can still check whether or not you have w.e. degree or license you claim, what state and year you finished... but not the name of the school. There shouldn't even be an option where the employee can give the employer permission to find out.

This would make expensive private universities less desirable thus reducing their price. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 05:21 PM

21,717 posts, read 24,949,937 times
Dumb.

College also really hasn't gotten that expensive. The list price, sure, but almost no one pays that. Net price hasn't much changed. State schools have gotten more expensive, but they're not that awful. UC is around $14,000 year now versus around $9,000 ten years ago. But there's a lot of need-based grants. Family of four, 1 in college, parents making $60,000/yr UC (the more prestigious, more expensive public university system in California) are free. Pick up a work study job to pay for books off-set living expenses and you wouldn't come out with debilitating loans. Community college they'll pay you to go to school, plus with the transfer agreements it's generally easier to get into a UC as a transfer than a freshman. So get paid to go to school for two years and then transfer if the money is an issue.

If you really want to make them cheaper, cut federal aid. Not really a big fan of that idea myself, but cutting federal aid would mean less people going to college which would mean cheaper prices.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:48 PM

12,076 posts, read 23,185,839 times
No, it would not do anything to reduce the cost of a college education, nor are all college educations equal.

Old 01-09-2018, 06:17 PM

144 posts, read 114,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Dumb.

College also really hasn't gotten that expensive. The list price, sure, but almost no one pays that. Net price hasn't much changed. State schools have gotten more expensive, but they're not that awful. UC is around $14,000 year now versus around $9,000 ten years ago. But there's a lot of need-based grants. Family of four, 1 in college, parents making $60,000/yr UC (the more prestigious, more expensive public university system in California) are free. Pick up a work study job to pay for books off-set living expenses and you wouldn't come out with debilitating loans. Community college they'll pay you to go to school, plus with the transfer agreements it's generally easier to get into a UC as a transfer than a freshman. So get paid to go to school for two years and then transfer if the money is an issue.

If you really want to make them cheaper, cut federal aid. Not really a big fan of that idea myself, but cutting federal aid would mean less people going to college which would mean cheaper prices.
What about people that are not born into a rich family? What about people that live in a a state where education actually costs money? You think that $14,000 is "not that expensive" ?? That is double the income of some people.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:55 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,187,380 times
When I went to college, 1956, college was quite affordable in some states. In Louisiana, at state schools including LSU, the tuition was $70 a year, which a student could earn in two weeks of a summer job in a canning factory. Everyone who graduated from high school in the top 75% of their class (3 kids out of four) was admitted, but freshman year was tough and 80% flunked out. Those that made it through the first year with decent grades got a nice college education at public expense. Those that didn't had no business being there and did not get ripped of for a lifetime of student loan debt.

The real criminal theft is the labor-employment structure, which closes to door to so much of what used to be train-on-the-job, forcing way too many people to get (and pay dearly for) the college piece of paper in order to get a middle-class job .

Old 01-09-2018, 08:07 PM

4,505 posts, read 5,026,115 times
You want to reduce the cost of college, get rid of the athletics and the multi million dollar coaches. They should be institutions of learning, not training facilities for the NFL & NBA.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:51 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,187,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
You want to reduce the cost of college, get rid of the athletics and the multi million dollar coaches. They should be institutions of learning, not training facilities for the NFL & NBA.
In the overall budget, the coach's salaries would disappear in rounding. Sports teams bring in a huge amount of revenue in ticket sales, concessions, broadcast rights, gear sales, even parking.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:43 PM

30,876 posts, read 36,858,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
I agree. But that's just the starting point. They also have bloated administrations as well. Even leftist academics like Camille Paglia have been saying that. See this video at 20:00:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOu3PJNWpaU

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 01-09-2018 at 11:27 PM..

Old 01-09-2018, 10:50 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,124,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Dumb.
Couldn't have said it better.

Would you want to hire someone who attended community college over someone who got into Penn as a freshman?

Old 01-10-2018, 12:05 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,893,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post
At 18, I was smart enough to do my reseach before going to college. I graduated with a debt of 25k after four years with a degree that's in high demand. It's been 5 years since i graduated and i am already earning enough to pay it off all at once if I ever decide. But, I noticed most people aren't in the same boat as me. And it seems like college is getting ridicously more expensive every year... so this got me thinking...

Why can't there be a law that prevent potential employers from figuring out which university you attend??They can still check whether or not you have w.e. degree or license you claim, what state and year you finished... but not the name of the school. There shouldn't even be an option where the employee can give the employer permission to find out.

This would make expensive private universities less desirable thus reducing their price. What do you think?
That would put elite colleges out of business and would make future Einsteins attend school with future Beavises and Buttheads. What a smashing idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics