Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 12:16 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post
At 18, I was smart enough to do my reseach before going to college. I graduated with a debt of 25k after four years with a degree that's in high demand. It's been 5 years since i graduated and i am already earning enough to pay it off all at once if I ever decide. But, I noticed most people aren't in the same boat as me. And it seems like college is getting ridicously more expensive every year... so this got me thinking...

Why can't there be a law that prevent potential employers from figuring out which university you attend??They can still check whether or not you have w.e. degree or license you claim, what state and year you finished... but not the name of the school. There shouldn't even be an option where the employee can give the employer permission to find out.

This would make expensive private universities less desirable thus reducing their price. What do you think?
Most graduates line up jobs through their schools. They also line up internships and summer jobs through their schools. An employer can make a good estimation of the quality of your school by the entries on your resume' even if the school was omitted.

Unless you plan on getting a job without references, your approach seems doomed.

Last edited by lchoro; 01-10-2018 at 12:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 01:01 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
You want to reduce the cost of college, get rid of the athletics and the multi million dollar coaches. They should be institutions of learning, not training facilities for the NFL & NBA.
This comes pretty close to nailing it.

The vast center of mid-tier colleges are operating as competitive for-profit entities, charters and whatnot be damned, and aggressive, high-profile athletics programs are little more than their main marketing tools. Dump 'em all back to the jocks who want to play, not an essentially commercial, professional sports franchises sucking the life not only from the school's budget, but from the whole purpose of college. And NCAA success translates to higher education costs because of (erroneous) perceived value.

The problem of college costs will never be solved until postsecondary education is returned to its proper place... which is NOT generating a STEM job ticket for vast hordes of mediocre students.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
No, it would not do anything to reduce the cost of a college education, nor are all college educations equal.
There are top-tier schools for the truly exceptional candidates, and low-tier schools for trade, career and job-ticket generation... and then there is the middle tier, neither truly elite nor selective nor affordable nor all that highly regarded as an institute of higher learning. But with huge application rates for all the wrong reasons.

(Hint: if you chose your school and major by looking at projected salaries in five years, you may already be a loser.)

Old 01-10-2018, 05:46 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
Resolution? Go to a college in a foreign country like Germany where college is free for all who reside there! Otherwise, scholarships and loans! If you’re applying to be a physician, the employer is going to want to know where you went to school!

Old 01-10-2018, 06:33 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedgoats4sale View Post
What about people that are not born into a rich family? What about people that live in a a state where education actually costs money? You think that $14,000 is "not that expensive" ?? That is double the income of some people.
Define rich.

Family of four making $60,000 with one in college goes to UC for free. Higher income, but not rich, family of four making $100,000 would pay the full price of around $14,000. I wouldn't call either rich. The latter can do what I did and pay for it. After freshman year I didn't get any need-based aid. Parents paid for my car insurance the one year I had a car, my medical insurance, and my cell phone. I took out loans and worked to pay for tuition, books, rent, food, spending money.

Who cares if it's double the income of some people. One dollar is more income than some people. That doesn't mean it's a lot of money. Median earnings of a college graduate will more than pay for that in a year over what someone with a high school diploma has, so no, not particularly expensive.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:30 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,362,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Dumb.

College also really hasn't gotten that expensive.
The list price, sure, but almost no one pays that. Net price hasn't much changed. State schools have gotten more expensive, but they're not that awful. UC is around $14,000 year now versus around $9,000 ten years ago. But there's a lot of need-based grants. Family of four, 1 in college, parents making $60,000/yr UC (the more prestigious, more expensive public university system in California) are free. Pick up a work study job to pay for books off-set living expenses and you wouldn't come out with debilitating loans. Community college they'll pay you to go to school, plus with the transfer agreements it's generally easier to get into a UC as a transfer than a freshman. So get paid to go to school for two years and then transfer if the money is an issue.

If you really want to make them cheaper, cut federal aid. Not really a big fan of that idea myself, but cutting federal aid would mean less people going to college which would mean cheaper prices.
You sound like an elitist. You must come from a rich family with a mindset like that. College has gotten very expensive. A lot of people have to work while going to school and that's only if they can live with family. A lot of the students who go to school full time and don't have to worry about expenses have parents who can pay their car note, insurance, etc.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
You want to reduce the cost of college, get rid of the athletics and the multi million dollar coaches. They should be institutions of learning, not training facilities for the NFL & NBA.
I wish I could rep you a thousand times. A lot of students where I went to school weren't exactly on board with the school adding fees to fund a football team. They did it in private without any student vote. What does the students get back on their fees? Nothing!!! It's an ongoing expense that never reaps rewards for the students and they are the ones financing the athletics. Sports should be kept independent of learning institutions!

Old 01-10-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Lol. You do realize the athletic department usually brings in the dough to fund many of the other departments right?? Silly stuff like engineering, IT and business.

Alabama's football program brought in over 100 million bucks to the school. Basically paid for the entire school of engineering.
That's just one university. Most universities that have athletic departments operate their sports at a loss meaning it costs the school more money to fund sports than the money sports bring in. That's fact.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
That's just one university. Most universities that have athletic departments operate their sports at a loss meaning it costs the school more money to fund sports than the money sports bring in. That's fact.
Also pretty much irrelevant. You might as well say they do building maintenance at a loss.

What's relevant is that sports programs do bupkis for the majority of students. High-profile sports are the main marketing tool of a university - to alums, potential candidates, and all the entities that do funding. And the insane priority they are given has completely distorted upper education.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:09 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,427,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Also pretty much irrelevant. You might as well say they do building maintenance at a loss.

What's relevant is that sports programs do bupkis for the majority of students. High-profile sports are the main marketing tool of a university - to alums, potential candidates, and all the entities that do funding. And the insane priority they are given has completely distorted upper education.
Exactly. Sports programs generate VALUE. It doesn’t matter if the cost is $100,000,000 if the activity creates
$125,000,000 of value...those with the simplistic view that cutting the cost is a good idea will soon end up with less money overall for the university.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics