U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 03:42 PM

5,600 posts, read 4,204,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
...... I do not think the future looks promising for this newspaper.
I am certainly not a Trump fan and in fact think almost all politicians are low lives. Even so I have to be amazed at the biases of the press. The NY Times has turned into one of the worst examples of biased reporting. I cannot say they print outright lies but the news they print is horribly biased. When the tax bill was passed, I checked to see if they had some details so I could understand what was actually passed. There was nothing on the first page for this major event. In fact there was nothing, absolutely nothing, until page 14. Then the title of the article mentioned that the bill had passed and Trump was taking credit. They then spent countless words belittling his efforts and almost nothing in terms of the actual tax bill. With reporting like that out of one of the country's major newspapers, it is little wonder that the public is losing interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 04:40 PM

6,817 posts, read 4,408,035 times
America just has a culture of advertising. We expect it. Advertising has risen in some cases to high-art. It draws some of the best talent, and indeed, modern culture itself is deeply rooted in the ethos and idiom of advertising.

But what increasingly annoys me, is the targeted online ads that intrude on the browsing/viewing experience. Even if in principle I might be interested in the product being pitched, the fact that the pitch is foisted upon me, precisely when I wish to watch some other video, or read some other essay, is intensely irritating. I may have had an inclination to buy the product being advertised, but then the ad's presence is so insulting, that I'd feel manipulated, if I were to go ahead with my purchase.

An example would be car-parts. I'd be searching online for the requisite parts, say a throttle-cable or a sensor for the fuel-metering system, eventually converging (or nearly so) to a decision to buy. Then I'd be watching a you-tube video, and instead of the video, I get bombarded by ads for car parts. Now suddenly I'm irritated, and suspend my decision to buy. The ad has turned a would-be consumer into a peeved protester.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:30 PM

5,600 posts, read 4,204,310 times
I have been hooked on some of the History channel shows starting years ago with the crab fishing series. What bothers me is the huge number of ads and especially the ads that are for other History channel series. My wife and I have gotten to the point where we will not watch any TV with ads. At worst we tape the show and then fast forward through all the ads. We watch hour shows in about half the time.

I certainly understand the notion of being upset with ads and wanting to avoid the advertised products. I often wonder about the effectiveness of any ads. We buy gas at the nearest station. We buy food at Costco where there typically is not even a choice of brands. Pretty much everything else we buy is bought online after internet research. I don't think ads have much to do with our purchase choices.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:32 PM

2,979 posts, read 1,012,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
There are only two kinds of people in the world: 1) Those who are influenced by advertising and 2) Those who lie and claim they are not influenced by advertising.
Absolutely correct, and widely disbelieved. "Only stupid people let ads tell them what to buy" and "I only buy things I've chosen for damned good reasons" are up there with "No, that doesn't make your butt look fat, honey" and "But I made that payment last week!" (The last is the 21st century version of "The check is in the mail." You kids barely know what a check is. )

But this whole discussion is falling for a major head-fake promoted by the industry itself - "advertising" is neither the problem nor the real thrust of the effort. You have to expand your anger, your rejection, your focus to marketing as a whole. Advertising is just one tool used by marketing, and as time goes by, it's a less and less important tool - as much of this thread has pointed out about inefficiencies, the ease of blocking and ignoring it and the absurd return rates. But it's still essential as something of a stalking horse for the rest of major league marketing's efforts; when they poke a raw nerve or get too disliked, they can do the "Aw, shucks" thing and end an ad campaign, or change it... which probably has little effect on the real marketing efforts taking place across the spectrum.

Getting an offensive or obnoxious ad pulled makes everyone concerned feel good, though - and it shouldn't. This is why circle-jerk groups like AdBusters have accomplished bupkis in what, 30 years, and why the endless games with youth-oriented advertising can never seem to be won.

The way I usually put it is: Marketing is the real monster. Advertising is just the monster's shadow.

And once you think this through, a lot of the questions raised here and elsewhere about the value or economics or worth or purpose of advertising become self-answering.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:37 PM

2,979 posts, read 1,012,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I have been hooked on some of the History channel shows starting years ago with the crab fishing series. What bothers me is the huge number of ads and especially the ads that are for other History channel series. My wife and I have gotten to the point where we will not watch any TV with ads. At worst we tape the show and then fast forward through all the ads. We watch hour shows in about half the time.
And still get most of the impact from those ads.

Ad 'science' has accommodated the blippers and zippers and zappers. Most ads contain most of their whole message in any two seconds of the roll; many start with a sucker punch that makes the remaining 8 or 13 or 28 seconds almost irrelevant. By the time you've hit mute or blank or skip forward, the essential message has already been blared at you. Many ads are constructed to be just as effective at high speed, as well - so you may zip through the ad in 5 seconds, but you effectively watched the whole thing.

"Blipverts" have been reality for quite some time now. Paging Max Headroom...

Old 01-12-2018, 08:42 PM

5,859 posts, read 3,139,843 times
I rarely watch TV, and when I do, it's the local news and I mute the commercials. I go through my spam folder just to ensure legitimate email didn't go there, which does happen several times a month. Then I delete everything. I use ad blocker and popup blockers and ignore any ads on sites that have them.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:25 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,065,436 times
people eventually build up immunity to ads.personally, I have been using adblock for years, if there is a website that says I have to disable it, I just move on.any tv marathon(new years twilight zone)I always record and zip through the commercials,sadly even at fast forward the commercials take forever.I havent listened to radio in years any music I want to hear is on the internet, but Im sure radio is mostly commercials.The only thing is I do enjoy a good baseball game and its also turning in a commercial marathon,I hate recording it because sports events should be viewed live.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:44 AM

6,308 posts, read 4,765,469 times
>Someone once said "Half of my advertising dollars are wasted, unfortunately, I don't know which half."

That person nailed it. It pays to advertise. Every product I've ever bought was manufactured or sold by a company that advertises. Advertising is as much a cost of doing business as paying your utilities or taxes. It is the way that potential customers who don't know about the product hear about the product.

If you don't like GEICO's advertising, don't buy their insurance, but if you don't like the *fact* that they advertise, you're out of luck because you have to have insurance and all their competitors also advertise. That's how they become and remain competitors.

I kind of like the little gecko and I like Warren Buffett (with two T's).

Old 01-17-2018, 08:48 AM

20,999 posts, read 25,737,156 times
Things like telemarketing have to work, otherwise the telemarketers would have quit years ago. No one is going to keep a staff or pay for massive computer use if there is never any financial return.

Of course advertising works. Ever see anyone ask if store brand food is worth buying? They trust those expensive name brand products to be good but are reluctant to buy a brand they have never heard of. Even when the risk is less than $2 to test the unadvertised brand.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:59 AM

3,266 posts, read 2,335,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
>Someone once said "Half of my advertising dollars are wasted, unfortunately, I don't know which half."

That person nailed it. It pays to advertise. Every product I've ever bought was manufactured or sold by a company that advertises. Advertising is as much a cost of doing business as paying your utilities or taxes. It is the way that potential customers who don't know about the product hear about the product.
People actually appreciate ads for things they want.

We opened a new store 3 years ago. People still walk in every day and tell us how they found out about us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics