U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 04:05 AM

69 posts, read 167,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
people eventually build up immunity to ads.personally, I have been using adblock for years, if there is a website that says I have to disable it, I just move on.any tv marathon(new years twilight zone)I always record and zip through the commercials,sadly even at fast forward the commercials take forever.I havent listened to radio in years any music I want to hear is on the internet, but Im sure radio is mostly commercials.The only thing is I do enjoy a good baseball game and its also turning in a commercial marathon,I hate recording it because sports events should be viewed live.
I used to love to listen to online radio of DJ's that would upload their weekly, 2 hours, club mixes.
It just was 2 hours of mixing, with occasional, non-intrusive audio watermarking (to prevent you from playing it in clubs or social events).
after a good 5 years of being away from the scene, I re-downloaded a few more modern ones, and was mesmerized at how much the scenery had changed over those 5 years!
5 minutes talks, for every 5 minutes of music.
Birthday wishes, promotions for other people's works, talks with authors.
They're all great, but I just wanted 2 hours of non-stop music!

I guess the times have changed...

Last edited by Prodigit; 01-27-2018 at 04:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
>Someone once said "Half of my advertising dollars are wasted, unfortunately, I don't know which half."

That person nailed it. It pays to advertise. Every product I've ever bought was manufactured or sold by a company that advertises. Advertising is as much a cost of doing business as paying your utilities or taxes. It is the way that potential customers who don't know about the product hear about the product.

If you don't like GEICO's advertising, don't buy their insurance, but if you don't like the *fact* that they advertise, you're out of luck because you have to have insurance and all their competitors also advertise. That's how they become and remain competitors.

I kind of like the little gecko and I like Warren Buffett (with two T's).
When I lived in Europe, there was a Telemarketing TV show, that was broadcast weekly, that would compare products from different manufacturers, in an as unbiased and informative way as possible.

The TV show marketer with team, would buy insurances, or cars, or services, and at the end of the trial run, they would compare in an objective way, the differences between each service or product; as well as finding the scams amongst the good ones.

It was hugely popular where I came from, because every week some scam or fraud companies were brought to light!
Sweaters made in China, lasting you less than 2 washes, or giving off color? or overpriced charges with one service provider compared to other products on the market? Banks that stole your money? or companies promoting themselves as companies, but who would do only half the work, or do it very badly, then ran away?

That TV show was the reason a lot of corrupt companies went out of business; and in a way was marketing done in a good way!

Despite all this, people still decided what product they wanted; and if they thought it was worth it the 40% surplus charge, to have only 10% more quality in a product, or not; became aware of the ups and downs of a product to similar products on the market, and of course, the most popular stories were of the people ending up behind bars for malpractice!

Last edited by Prodigit; 01-27-2018 at 04:42 AM..

Old 01-27-2018, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Things like telemarketing have to work, otherwise the telemarketers would have quit years ago. No one is going to keep a staff or pay for massive computer use if there is never any financial return.

Of course advertising works. Ever see anyone ask if store brand food is worth buying? They trust those expensive name brand products to be good but are reluctant to buy a brand they have never heard of. Even when the risk is less than $2 to test the unadvertised brand.
Often I find, marketing works less than they want to take credit for.
If a product is selling 500 items per month, and after a marketing campaign sells 1000 items per month, do we credit the marketing campaign with the 200% increase?
Marketing surely will want you to believe it; but more than likely, if the product was good to begin with, you'll have the buyers of the first 500 items, buying the same item again (say like bread, or meat. Repetitive orders).
Perhaps they refer the item to their friends, and that month, 100 more items get sold to some of those friends!
And perhaps another 150-200 people totally unaware of the ads, try out the new product shown in store shelves, for a first time that month.
That leaves less than 200 people buying the product because of the ads; 1/5th of what the marketing company wants to take credit for!

But in real life, the numbers are much worse!
If a marketing company can be credited for 1%, it is a lot!
Some marketing (like highway billboards) work well, and are cost effective; but they're very local.
Other marketing, like internet ads, show to a broader audience, only to irritate the crap out of a lot more people!

There are the people who research their stuff,
The people who believe the people who research their stuff,
The people who are totally oblivious and buy just out of luck or purely random,
And a very small minority of people would actually buy because the ad was shiny and had lots of colors (and they had money to waste).

I think a lot of companies still believe in the old ways of marketing, that they have to go out to meet the consumer.
But in this society, that would only be true for items that are rare or hard to find.
Most people will find their items themselves, much like I like to go in a store to look at items, and if I have a question, I'd go to a sales person rather than to be bombarded by 20 salespeople who all just want to receive the commission from selling yet another overpriced, useless gadget to a gullible "sack of cash".

Last edited by Prodigit; 01-27-2018 at 04:48 AM..

Old 01-27-2018, 03:42 PM

3,579 posts, read 2,019,864 times
Do you mean the 100% increase? (I'm sure that was just an error. But only in advertising can "two times more" replace "two times as many." It's really "one time more.")

Old 01-27-2018, 03:55 PM

3,011 posts, read 1,023,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigit View Post
I think a lot of companies still believe in the old ways of marketing...
It's absolutely essential to differentiate between small, local and even relatively large-scale regional marketing, and national/corporate/conglomerate marketing. Most of the former uses pretty standard Marketing 101 techniques, because they work at that scale. What the conglomerate companies do compares to that like an F-18 compares to a tricycle. Trying to straddle this spectrum with a single viewpoint is... entertaining but not useful.

Old 01-27-2018, 07:10 PM

5,873 posts, read 3,148,828 times
Quote:
This happened to me this week!
I mentioned, we didn't have a kitchen tool in the house to squeeze a lemon!
2 days later, Amazon suggested me this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010TFF6AE/

And I haven't searched for it online at all!

Can you imagine?

Now, I did end up buying it. but you're right. They're listening to us, via our phones.
This may be the reason we need more RAM and ROM on our phones, and our 10x larger battery size, that actually lasts us 10x less!

Alexa probably overheard you.

Old 01-27-2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
They're listening to us, via our phones. This may be the reason we need more RAM and ROM on our phones, and our 10x larger battery size, that actually lasts us 10x less!
No, that's an entirely collateral reason.

Convincing you that you just can't live without a 64GB phone, when you've barely used the 16GB you have now... there's a reason.

Old 01-28-2018, 06:15 AM

876 posts, read 652,817 times
Quote:
Often I find, marketing works less than they want to take credit for.
If a product is selling 500 items per month, and after a marketing campaign sells 1000 items per month, do we credit the marketing campaign with the 200% increase?
Marketing surely will want you to believe it; but more than likely, if the product was good to begin with, you'll have the buyers of the first 500 items, buying the same item again (say like bread, or meat. Repetitive orders).
Perhaps they refer the item to their friends, and that month, 100 more items get sold to some of those friends!
And perhaps another 150-200 people totally unaware of the ads, try out the new product shown in store shelves, for a first time that month.
That leaves less than 200 people buying the product because of the ads; 1/5th of what the marketing company wants to take credit for!

But in real life, the numbers are much worse!
If a marketing company can be credited for 1%, it is a lot!
Some marketing (like highway billboards) work well, and are cost effective; but they're very local.
Other marketing, like internet ads, show to a broader audience, only to irritate the crap out of a lot more people!

There are the people who research their stuff,
The people who believe the people who research their stuff,
The people who are totally oblivious and buy just out of luck or purely random,
And a very small minority of people would actually buy because the ad was shiny and had lots of colors (and they had money to waste).

I think a lot of companies still believe in the old ways of marketing, that they have to go out to meet the consumer.
But in this society, that would only be true for items that are rare or hard to find.
Most people will find their items themselves, much like I like to go in a store to look at items, and if I have a question, I'd go to a sales person rather than to be bombarded by 20 salespeople who all just want to receive the commission from selling yet another overpriced, useless gadget to a gullible "sack of cash".
I agree. The people who sell advertising are making money, and the people who create advertising are making money. It's the people who are paying for this advertising and thinking it will increase their business who are losing money.

Old 01-30-2018, 11:41 PM

7,129 posts, read 5,947,609 times
I can't say I've ever been tempted by advertising though I'd be silly to refute that it works, especially when it comes to name recognition. When you hear a name over and over especially when it's accompanied by a catchy jingle or recognizable figure or HUMOR the mind will remember the name over time.

Geico with the lizard. Progressive with flo. Farmer's insurance with their jingle "we are farmers, nah nah nah nah nah nah nah" ... I still remember many of the old jingles from where I grew up in Milwaukee, like the ernie von schledorn jingle and the mike crivello's camera jingle, the "emergency tv service" jingle among others.

The trick is stimulating human emotions in the advertisement to get people to remember you. Without that you're wasting your money.

From when I was a kid...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQTud9_IO2A

It's easy to see why good jungles can create memories that can create a nostalgic remembrance, especially when they keep the same jingle for 30+ years like this one.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9d...BMvZcmZDcT163Q

The Fox NFL theme song is another one of them things that I hope they never get rid of... it kind of to me represents football, family, and good times.. you know, this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbU4fPYRvcY

Sometimes I think companies make a mistake by changing things up.. when you come across something that just works, you should keep using it, like talk radio hosts often do with their theme songs.

Last edited by stockwiz; 01-30-2018 at 11:52 PM..

Old 01-31-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
It's the people who are paying for this advertising and thinking it will increase their business who are losing money.
Not if they're paying the right people for the right thing. Small companies that try to use F500 techniques, and larger companies that try to "advertise" on Main Street are certainly wasting their money. (Which is fine with me; waste away, guys.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
The trick is stimulating human emotions in the advertisement...
No; in the overall marketing campaign, of which ads are a relatively small part. (For corporate/national campaigns - Joe's Garage does just fine with a panel in the newspaper.)

But yes, dead on, exactly - "stimulating human emotions." Preferably as hard as possible while not stirring any actual thinking. It's called behavioral engineering, and it's the absolute bedrock of modern marketing at the corporate/conglomerate/multinational level (i.e., most marketing and advertising that matters).

Anyone who thinks marketing at these levels is Don Draper sitting around thinking up slogans is 50 years behind the times. (And even Mad Men showed a little peek of the future with Peggy's popsicle ad.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics