U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 06:51 PM

69 posts, read 167,712 times

Advertisements

Ads, spamware, or simply spam,
It's prevalent in USA; whether it is on TV, the radio, or websites.
Are they really as effective as they claim to be?

Back in the days, internet was low band, and a web page would load anywhere between a few kilobytes, to a megabyte (100x larger), depending on how many pictures are on it.
Nowadays, web pages run anywhere from a megabyte, to a hundred of megabytes, mostly in ads, to 'pay for the bandwidth' those very ads are consuming. (like, really, when I browse a page on cars, do I need to see a 5 minute video of toothbrushes running in the background?).

When I lived in Europe, we had Friday night, movie nights.
Every friday, they would play a long movie over the air (usually 2 to 3 hours movies), with only 1 single, 15 minutes bathroom break in the middle.
I quite enjoyed those days!

But nowadays, how effective is all the ad making?

Out of the 35 years of listening to radio waves, 30 years of watching TV daily for about 30 minutes to 1 hour, and 20 years I have been on the internet with perhaps close to a million of webpages, only ONE single ad, has ever caught my attention enough to actually buy a product, I had never heard of before!

So I wonder if the authentic $120 Japanese sword purchase I made, justifies seeing and hearing 1 million ads, and several Gigabytes of data?

I believe there are a ton of companies struggling out there, trying to spread word of their existence, spamming millions of people, just to reach 1 person.
Is this even effective marketing?

You know, concerning ads, I do live by one rule:
If I see ads of a product, I'll 'never' buy it (save if it's a golden deal)!
Geico insurance for instance, seem to have plenty of money to spend on ads; which means they will have to get that money from somewhere.
Where from?
From their products.
In essence, if I would take Geico, I would be paying Geico for their future clients, meanwhile there's no cut in it for me!
In fact, I pay MORE, to stuff the very thing I hate, into other people's minds, and fund the company, that is using these 'apallable tactics'.
Sure, Geico has all attractive $500 discounts etc, but even with the discounts, it's still more expensive than other companies, because they got to get their ad-money from somewhere!

I live by the rule, that if a product is good, they don't need to advertise!
Did you see an advertisement about Rolls Royce? About Lamborghini or Ferrari?
And although Tesla is putting out a lot of ads, they're not getting more popular because of this; because they can't even bump up manufacturing to meet the demand, and many people are getting agitated being put in such a long waiting line!

A lot of excellent products out there, barely advertise; because they know their product will pass by word of mouth!

You'd have to wonder, if in a society of today, are ads more intrusive and overwhelming, than useful?
If you're like me, you've learned to live with ad blockers, and skimming pages over the ads (have your brain neutralize, or wash out an ad area). Use restrooms, or skip channels when the ads are running.

People are slowly and slightly getting agitated with what the providers stuff down the throats of people.
Heck, nowadays there even are car infotainments, and monitors in fridges showing ads!
Buy an ebook reader, or cellphone? Not possible without ads, unless you pay more, to have the ads removed!
I would say, it should cost LESS, not more to buy a device that's not been preloaded with ad crapware?

So, what pushed me to write this thread?
Well, yesterday I was looking for Japanese 'Kei cars'.
If you've never heard of them, they're tiny cars that are only offered for sale in Japan.
Google had autocorrected my mistyped 'kie cars', to Kia cars; and what happened today?
I got an email for Kia cars!
This was just too much!
I wasn't even interested in Kia cars! And if I was, I would surely find out the best deals, and cars. I never subscribed for receiving emails from my google search parameters, and don't appreciate their invasive actions!

It was the drop for me to open a thread about ads.

What are your ad experiences?
Do you like to receive ads?

Last edited by Prodigit; 01-09-2018 at 07:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 07:30 PM

5,170 posts, read 4,737,218 times
The more important factor is that we are being spied on. You were searching on the internet, so that isn't a big deal IMO, but I've heard many anecdotal claims that simply mentioning something when there is a phone in the room (but not being used) will get picked up as well.

I got the ad blocker on the internet and I don't get many ads. I ditched the TV 30 years ago.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:13 PM

3,590 posts, read 2,027,087 times
Personally I'm pretty vindictive about ads. If an ad or spam makes it past my blocker I pretty much blacklist that company. If they mail me a self-addressed stamped envelope and I'll mail it back full of paper so they charge them. I never watch a full football game, because I have to change the channel every three minutes.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:36 PM

879 posts, read 654,622 times
Someone once said "Half of my advertising dollars are wasted, unfortunately, I don't know which half." I believe we are up to at least 90% of advertising dollars being wasted.

I used to listen to the radio when I was home, but the constant commercials caused me to turn it off. I never owned a television, and when I do watch it, I see no reason to justify buying one. The original Star Trek was 52 minutes long; now shows are often under 45 minutes.

There is no evidence that political robocalls work, and yet not only do they persist, they are exempt from the Do Not Call list.

If you donate $25 to a non-profit or political cause, your entire donation will be spent on repeated requests for additional donations. With today's technology, it is trivially simple to see that some of us only donate once a year regardless of the number of additional requests. My church has only been giving 12 envelopes to those of us who donate once a month, rather than a full box of 52. If they can figure this out, why can't the non-profits and charities with their vastly greater resources?

I think the people who buy advertising are delusional. When you do a search for compassion fatigue or the failure of high pressure sales tactics, you get mostly articles insisting, despite all evidence to the contrary, that there is no such thing as compassion fatigue and that high pressure sales tactics work.

I wrote to my congressman this spring, urging a crackdown on telemarketers who spoof numbers, and urging that the Do Not Call list be expanded to include surveys, non-profits, and political calls. Not only did I not get a reply, I got 3 long-winded robocalls from his office. I have decided to end all political donations, and am debating whether I should continue to declare a political party during the primaries. My concern is that if I do not declare a party and just vote an issues ballot, will I start getting spammed from both parties?

Old 01-10-2018, 04:41 PM

15,198 posts, read 15,232,299 times
I question the bang-for-buck of most advertising. A billion popups garners one 20-dollar sale.....or something like that.

I have been on the internet for a LONG time, never once have I bought something due to
an internet-ad.

Old 01-10-2018, 04:46 PM

3,977 posts, read 1,603,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigit View Post
Ads, spamware, or simply spam,
It's prevalent in USA; whether it is on TV, the radio, or websites.
Are they really as effective as they claim to be?

Back in the days, internet was low band, and a web page would load anywhere between a few kilobytes, to a megabyte (100x larger), depending on how many pictures are on it.
Nowadays, web pages run anywhere from a megabyte, to a hundred of megabytes, mostly in ads, to 'pay for the bandwidth' those very ads are consuming. (like, really, when I browse a page on cars, do I need to see a 5 minute video of toothbrushes running in the background?).

When I lived in Europe, we had Friday night, movie nights.
Every friday, they would play a long movie over the air (usually 2 to 3 hours movies), with only 1 single, 15 minutes bathroom break in the middle.
I quite enjoyed those days!

But nowadays, how effective is all the ad making?

Out of the 35 years of listening to radio waves, 30 years of watching TV daily for about 30 minutes to 1 hour, and 20 years I have been on the internet with perhaps close to a million of webpages, only ONE single ad, has ever caught my attention enough to actually buy a product, I had never heard of before!

So I wonder if the authentic $120 Japanese sword purchase I made, justifies seeing and hearing 1 million ads, and several Gigabytes of data?

I believe there are a ton of companies struggling out there, trying to spread word of their existence, spamming millions of people, just to reach 1 person.
Is this even effective marketing?

You know, concerning ads, I do live by one rule:
If I see ads of a product, I'll 'never' buy it (save if it's a golden deal)!
Geico insurance for instance, seem to have plenty of money to spend on ads; which means they will have to get that money from somewhere.
Where from?
From their products.
In essence, if I would take Geico, I would be paying Geico for their future clients, meanwhile there's no cut in it for me!
In fact, I pay MORE, to stuff the very thing I hate, into other people's minds, and fund the company, that is using these 'apallable tactics'.
Sure, Geico has all attractive $500 discounts etc, but even with the discounts, it's still more expensive than other companies, because they got to get their ad-money from somewhere!

I live by the rule, that if a product is good, they don't need to advertise!
Did you see an advertisement about Rolls Royce? About Lamborghini or Ferrari?
And although Tesla is putting out a lot of ads, they're not getting more popular because of this; because they can't even bump up manufacturing to meet the demand, and many people are getting agitated being put in such a long waiting line!

A lot of excellent products out there, barely advertise; because they know their product will pass by word of mouth!

You'd have to wonder, if in a society of today, are ads more intrusive and overwhelming, than useful?
If you're like me, you've learned to live with ad blockers, and skimming pages over the ads (have your brain neutralize, or wash out an ad area). Use restrooms, or skip channels when the ads are running.

People are slowly and slightly getting agitated with what the providers stuff down the throats of people.
Heck, nowadays there even are car infotainments, and monitors in fridges showing ads!
Buy an ebook reader, or cellphone? Not possible without ads, unless you pay more, to have the ads removed!
I would say, it should cost LESS, not more to buy a device that's not been preloaded with ad crapware?

So, what pushed me to write this thread?
Well, yesterday I was looking for Japanese 'Kei cars'.
If you've never heard of them, they're tiny cars that are only offered for sale in Japan.
Google had autocorrected my mistyped 'kie cars', to Kia cars; and what happened today?
I got an email for Kia cars!
This was just too much!
I wasn't even interested in Kia cars! And if I was, I would surely find out the best deals, and cars. I never subscribed for receiving emails from my google search parameters, and don't appreciate their invasive actions!

It was the drop for me to open a thread about ads.

What are your ad experiences?
Do you like to receive ads?
There are only two kinds of people in the world: 1) Those who are influenced by advertising and 2) Those who lie and claim they are not influenced by advertising. Unless you're living in a cabin in Idaho and haven't bought anything in decades, living off whatever you've trapped and wearing the resulting pelts on your back, you've made choices based on what you've read, seen or heard.

I mean, didn't you just post something asking about Carvana? So I guess you were influenced by advertising after all.

Yeah, I get it. There's a lot of obnoxious ads out there. But there's a lot of smart work out there, too. The rest of your treatise is kind of absurd. If anything, ads are becoming more targeted with far better tracking of results. And if advertising didn't work, do you really think businesses would spend money on it?

Last edited by MinivanDriver; 01-10-2018 at 05:46 PM..

Old 01-11-2018, 05:56 AM

5,603 posts, read 4,212,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
I wrote to my congressman this spring, urging a crackdown on telemarketers who spoof numbers, and urging that the Do Not Call list be expanded to include surveys, non-profits, and political calls........
That was a waste of time. Haven't you noticed our government cannot accomplish anything? I get an average of 1-2 robocalls per day. None are surveys. They are all from businesses trying to sell my financials services, extended auto warranties or the like. When it comes to internet scams, robocalls or computer hacking our government hasn't a clue.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:49 AM

4,042 posts, read 4,958,603 times
I never answer my landline anymore.
I no longer listen to the radio in the car
I record anything I want to watch on TV, then fast forward the commercials.
I unsubscribed to the daily newspaper.

Screw them all!

Old 01-11-2018, 08:50 PM

3,977 posts, read 1,603,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post

Screw them all!
But you're online. Guess you're not such an iconoclast after all.

Old 01-12-2018, 07:00 AM

879 posts, read 654,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post

Screw them all!
Ah yes, the local newspaper. When I retired last year, I started to read the help wanted ads, because I wanted a part-time job where I could earn the remaining Medicare credits I needed (As a grandfathered public employee, I did not pay into Medicare). What help wanted ads? What happened to them? While I did find my part-time job in the paper, it is obvious that the great majority of job seekers are not finding their jobs this way.

One of my much younger coworkers said that as my generation dies off, the newspapers will die with us, because her generation does not read the newspaper. When one of my Sunday school classmates died in an auto accident, I was surprised at the number of people in my age group who did not see the obituary that morning because they do not subscribe.

The local newspaper, owned by the same family for generations, was sold in the last year or two to a syndicate. They had an interesting commentary a couple of weeks ago. Apparently the Trump supporters in this conservative area have had enough of the unrelenting anti-Trump articles, and are cancelling their subscriptions. The paper tried to justify it with the usual excuses, but said they would continue to look into it. I do not think the future looks promising for this newspaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics