Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 05:33 PM

7,898 posts, read 7,084,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
...... It's likely that the cashier position will involve more skill in the future. As self-check machines start to replace the basic standing and scanning part of the job, they'll start to combine cashiers into other jobs.
I see the job of a cashier getting even easier. Self checkout has reduced some of the need. Registers are more sophisticated with minimal skills required. Most of the work is merely barcode scanning. It is hard to get much lower than that unless the cashier jobs are combined with other jobs. Many of those are even lower level: stocking, moving carts, cleaning, greeting.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 05:40 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,620,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57
..It's likely that the cashier position will involve more skill in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I see the job of a cashier getting even easier.
You're both wrong.

The skill level of the self checkout monitor is already above just checking.
It's almost become a troubleshooting and systems job.
But the basic standing and scanning job is already about as mindless as it can be.

Old 01-22-2018, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
[b]

You're both wrong.

But the basic standing and scanning job is already about as mindless as it can be.
What are you writing about? A troubleshooting and systems job?? The only troubleshooting I have seen for a cashier is replacing a roll of printout paper.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:13 PM

10,022 posts, read 7,168,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
[b]

You're both wrong.

My expectation is that dollar stores and places like that will continue to use cashiers. At the discount retail level, paying a person is still cheaper than the capital cost of upgrading the tech and systems. I was amazed the last time I went to Dollar Tree (last week) how they were still relying on registers that were out-dated 10 years ago.

At mainline and upscale retailers, I expect that, like you said, we'll see cashiers morph into "checkout monitors" which will involve more computer skill and also require loss prevention skill (anti-shoplifting). Others will transition into multi-purpose floor/customer service associates who will be on call when the self-checks back up. When there are long lines, self-checks are still quite atrocious at thinning them down. Workers available to go on register during a rush will still be needed.

It'll reduce the overall volume of employees but increase their pay. It will probably result in high school diplomas becoming required for hire, maybe even some college hours or equivalent experience. These new associates will do several jobs that used to be compartmentalized & will need to have some independent wherewithal & multitasking ability.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
....... we'll see cashiers morph into "checkout monitors" which will involve more computer skill and also require loss prevention skill (anti-shoplifting). Others will transition into multi-purpose floor/customer service associates who will be on call when the self-checks back up. When there are long lines, self-checks are still quite atrocious at thinning them down. ......
Nice logic, but the more modern registers are simpler and simpler to use and require absolutely minimal operator skills. To prove the point lots of places are using self checkout. Currently self checkout might still require assistance and is slow. That will change. We now have an Amazon store with no manual checkout of any kind.

Don't count on cashiers somehow taking on more job functions such as theft and loss prevention. In all but the small stores, that is already handled remotely by review of cameras. Regarding "floor/customer service associates", we can see a strong trend. Knowledgeable individuals are being replaced with cheaper employees. This is really noticeable in Home Depot stores. A few years ago stores had knowledgeable sales associates, often retired tradesmen. Now anyone will do provided they are willing to work cheap enough.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:57 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,558,962 times
Quote:
We now have an Amazon store with no manual checkout of any kind.
This will be the future of most stores.

Now that they ditched the stupid bag weighing system at the local Walmart, self checkout is a breeze. It's so easy even I can do it. It's a unwieldy with a full cart though.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
This will be the future of most stores.

Maybe, but I doubt many stores are going to survive.

I checked since we returned from traveling just before Thanksgiving, my wife and I have placed 33 orders through Amazon. We also use an online pharmacy and a number of other online vendors. Today my wife is getting some art supplies from Blick. Tomorrow I will receive shoes from Merrell. About all we buy at a store anymore is gas and groceries. I notice the same for our neighbors. USPS delivers once a day, but FedEx and UPS are twice a day with plenty of stops in the neighborhood. There are lots of neighbors getting deliveries several times a week.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:15 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,558,962 times
Quote:
Maybe, but I doubt many stores are going to survive.
I think you are right. I suspect the big outfits will have same day local delivery before long.

Old 01-23-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
I think you are right. I suspect the big outfits will have same day local delivery before long.
Most vendors, including Amazon, ship the same day. I often receive the goods the next day or the following day. A notable exception was a blanket from Pendelton. They took 4 working days to ship, 6 days including the weekend. Then they sent out a survey. They now know how I felt about that.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:27 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,620,862 times
Quote:
Most vendors, including Amazon, ship the same day.
Or as soon as they can possibly clear the order from the building and system.

This is why paying extra for 'same day shipment' is a farce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics