Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 01:29 AM

8,012 posts, read 8,173,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Red Robin layoffs show how minimum wage hikes put millennial jobs at risk

seriously, google is fairly simple to use... all you do is type into the only box on the screen
I've seen that article from the obviously biased Washington Examiner.

These tax cuts were sold to the public as something that they were going to benefit from in the form of rising wages. So this isn't to happen now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 03:18 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,038,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerThyme View Post
Target announced they would raise entry wage to $15 an hour by 2020, and with the advent of the new tax reform Walmart states they too will raise their entry wage to $15 an hour by 2020.

Thanks!
By 2020 most brick and mortar stores will be gone .

Old 01-15-2018, 04:12 AM

6,972 posts, read 4,821,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Funny, lots for time to protest, but not enough time to better their skills or get another job.
Whoa! Well, then let me whip my head out of my behind, snap my fingers and ta da, new skills, instantly! ♫One skill at a time, and it doesn't cost me a dime....♫♪ yes, the sarcasm is strong with this one tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Minimum wage employers know that. They have done the math, and have CHOSEN to accept the high turnover associated with low wages.
Which is totally stupid because that costs them more money than just raising the wage. In addition, it drives away customers, which is where they get their money from. So as far as I'm concerned, any business owner that stupid deserves to go out of business.

--------------------------------------------------------

Everybody is getting so up in arms about the $15 minimum wage raise, you'd think it was going to happen tomorrow. But trust me, by 2020, $15 an hour is going to seem like $8 an hour now. The rise in the cost of living in the next two years will make the $15 an hour minimum wage seem like nothing. In fact, $15 an hour will probably be less pay business owners have to take out of their profits in 2020 than the minimum wage is now.

So I think everyone can just calm down about it. Business will go on as usual - the rich will get richer and the poor and middle class will still get screwed.

Last edited by rodentraiser; 01-15-2018 at 04:22 AM..

Old 01-15-2018, 08:32 AM

7,898 posts, read 7,078,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Whoa! Well, then let me whip my head out of my behind, snap my fingers and ta da, new skills, instantly! ♫One skill at a time, and it doesn't cost me a dime....♫♪ yes, the sarcasm is strong with this one tonight

That is exactly the issue. A great many people just want instant success and are not willing to make the effort and take the time to improve their skills and to find jobs and careers that are in demand and will be in demand in the future.

I had some remodeling done on my house. The electrician, the carpenter and the plumber all worked alone and all complained they could not find anyone willing to work as an apprentice and learn the trade. These tradesmen can easily make well over 6 figure incomes but they did not get there overnight by a snap of the fingers. They started as apprentices taking a while to learn the needed skills.

I need to wait a week or two to get an appointment to have my car serviced. When my central A/C died I was happy I had a friend in the business and I was able to get it fixed within a few days. When my refrigerator died, I had a service contract to cover the costs and still had to wait 2 weeks for someone to look at it.

There seem to be a lot of people who want to complain about how unfair life is when they could spend the time and have a really good income and secure future.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:56 AM

19,924 posts, read 8,826,306 times
$15 an hour minimum wage? great news for seniors that want to get out of the house or make some pocket money, bad news for young people just starting out. They'll have competition for jobs with limited or no work experience.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:17 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,537,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
$15 an hour minimum wage?
great news for seniors that want to get out of the house or make some pocket money,
bad news for young people just starting out. They'll have (even more) competition for jobs
with limited or no work experience.
The specific dollar amount of MW isn't the problem.
The problem, at this lowest level of employment, is competition.
There are far too many no and low skilled people competing for far too few jobs.

In the absence of being able to produce an extra 20-40Million jobs to be filled
something else must be done for/with the lowest of no/low skilled unemployables.
Figure that out and the rest can assert some power in the marketplace.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The specific dollar amount of MW isn't the problem.
The problem, at this lowest level of employment, is competition.
There are far too many no and low skilled people competing for far too few jobs.

And the trends in agriculture, retailing, manufacturing, robotics and automation clearly indicate the "problem" is only going to get worse. Meanwhile the demand for those will education and/or skills is through the roof. Unemployment in college level jobs and in many other skilled job areas has been under 3% for a great many years.

The message is clear. Get a skill, get an education, or be stuck at the bottom of the socioeconomic ladder where you compete with illegal aliens, 3rd world workers, and automation.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:53 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,552,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Skills are higher than ever and higher than in many developed countries. So how did this condition come about? And why do so many developed countries pay $20+/hr for low skill workers? That was true in the US also back when we had unions.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:57 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,552,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Meanwhile the demand for those will education and/or skills is through the roof. Unemployment in college level jobs and in many other skilled job areas has been under 3% for a great many years.
Since you keep ranting about this, you should get a few things straight.

Median salary for tech jobs has been flat for 40 years, just like most jobs. If there really was high demand, that wouldn't be the case.

That 3% unemployment rate is for people with college *educations*, not "college level jobs". There is a big difference.

Old 01-15-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
..... And why do so many developed countries pay $20+/hr for low skill workers? .......
The minimum wages in the US are already among the highest in the world:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ges_by_country

Supply and demand has pushed up salaries for unskilled workers in some countries. Many of those countries import unskilled workers which of course pushes down salaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics