U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2018, 03:16 PM

2,995 posts, read 1,017,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Yes, they do. I wish we wouldn't be such suckers, but I guess that's an insane fantasy.
Okay, raise your hands: how many enjoyed their tourist suborbital flights back in 1998, 2002, 2006, 2010, 2011-15 and last year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 07:06 PM

2,484 posts, read 1,708,335 times
I've seen this happen in many places.

NYC real estate went crazy over several years, then you hear stories about money laundering driving up the prices. Real estate agents get the comps and suddenly, the going price is significantly higher than 5 years ago.

All the rich folks from China buying real estate in Vancouver driving prices of homes into the millions.

Where I live, there are lots of high paid corporate folks from a handful of companies and the real estate prices are much higher than areas that are further away from a comfortable commute. I've heard one real estate speculator offering a buyer cash back if they agree to a higher selling price effectively raising the comparative selling prices for the other homes he's selling in the area.

I heard another case where toyota was moving to a town somewhere in the south and as soon as the announcement was made, speculators bought up the properties and drove up the price before the employees could relocate.

Old 01-21-2018, 07:19 PM

4,111 posts, read 3,402,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i think a certain someone here needs the doctor phil forum not the economic forum
No, they need a "victim forum"
If they spent as much time complaining on this site about how everyone is against them as getting another job (not like we haven't told a few other posters this) and increasing their income, this would be a non issue.
Haven't seen to much from frmkt lately, could this be his new persona?

Old 01-22-2018, 07:36 AM

20,958 posts, read 15,275,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Reality is that high COL and high salaries go hand in hand. Sure there are those who make high salaries in low COL places, but they tend to be the exceptions not the rule. Reality also tells us businesses cater to those with money to spend. Thatís why you donít see Starbucks or an Apple Store in poor neighborhoods. Theyíre in business to make money which is a good thing for those who rely on them for employment.
Exactly.

I make an above-average salary in a low-ish COL area. Still, I'm not making that much money, nor is the cost of living that much lower than other places with more opportunity.

If you have a reasonably high paying, professional job, you probably want to be surrounded by similar people. Those people generally don't live in areas like mine. If you have kids around here, the schools (with some exception in the city) suck. The parents of the other kids in school are unlikely to be educated professionals.

You definitely have to compromise living in a small town.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:16 AM

6,965 posts, read 5,187,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Horrible analogy.

If you have an agreement for a six month lease for xyz/month, and complete those six months paying xyz there is no bait and switch, you got exactly the terms of the deal you agreed to. Trato hecho. I don't know what alternate universe you imagine where agreeing on a price for a given term has an implicit guarantee of no future price increases after the term is up, but I'd recommend not basing your personal finance decisions on things that happen in said universe.
In defense of the OP, it doesn't seem at all uncommon for larger PM's/complexes to do this, where they sign people with a good short term deal and take up the price later on, often more than what the market should be (but not exorbitantly) since the barriers to moving (time, stress, money) make the hassle not worth it.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:36 AM

15,370 posts, read 25,573,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
good in theory but states still need to regulate things and that doctor monitoring from somewhere else will still be licensed in the state the patient is being operated.

and the patient? who would be the first to be operated on?

there is a saying a machine/robot can do a million things an ordinary person can do but no machine/robot can do what an extraordinary person can do
Very true.

The idea of robotic surgery with the surgeon in another local may not happen any time soon. In practice it could become an alternative when an emergency procedure somewhere in the world needs to take place. Of course the problem would be, if an area is lacking in surgeons that can perform specialized surgical procedures then it can be safe to assume that the area is also lacking in a surgical robotic device.

Two benefits to robotic surgery are that the robot can get into the body easier. You have smaller incisions that allow the patient to recover much faster. the other benefit is fewer people are needed in the surgical suite.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
In defense of the OP, it doesn't seem at all uncommon for larger PM's/complexes to do this, where they sign people with a good short term deal and take up the price later on, often more than what the market should be (but not exorbitantly) since the barriers to moving (time, stress, money) make the hassle not worth it.
This. Not as much in the "teaser" rent for a first term but in that apartment/condo rental companies have a good sense of how much they can increase the rents each cycle without driving the tenants to move. If you live out of a backpack (as one of my kids did, kind of exasperatingly, for years) you can move in a hot second and can't be taken advantage of. If you're like most and moving involves time, money and hassle... you just keep eating increases of $100/mo or so as the lesser evil.

But arm-waving and screaming that it's unfair the world works this way is not particularly helpful.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:52 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,027,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
This. Not as much in the "teaser" rent for a first term but in that apartment/condo rental companies have a good sense of how much they can increase the rents each cycle without driving the tenants to move. If you live out of a backpack (as one of my kids did, kind of exasperatingly, for years) you can move in a hot second and can't be taken advantage of. If you're like most and moving involves time, money and hassle... you just keep eating increases of $100/mo or so as the lesser evil.

But arm-waving and screaming that it's unfair the world works this way is not particularly helpful.
May be not helpful, but damn sure isn't right. I do agree it does cost alot to move vs eating up another increase in rent. But some times you got figure if its worth the move or not. If i can find a better deal with more SQ, then i will jump on it. I am just glad were i am, that they do not increase the rent each time you renew your lease. Its been the same for past 4 years according to the management. Recently a new owner was to raise it but back off on it considering that most folks in the area doesn't make as much as he assume the area makes. But point is, no rent increase means better budget for the renter to maintain.

Quote:
aslowdodge
No, they need a "victim forum"
If they spent as much time complaining on this site about how everyone is against them as getting another job (not like we haven't told a few other posters this) and increasing their income, this would be a non issue.
Haven't seen to much from frmkt lately, could this be his new persona?
Sorry, not that person. Yes we all can raise our income to meet our needs/wants. But who are you to judge people base on their needs and wants? Not EVERYBODY can afford to go to post-school or any tech school training. We all learn via the job or self taught.

Quote:
gunslinger256 I've seen this happen in many places.

NYC real estate went crazy over several years, then you hear stories about money laundering driving up the prices. Real estate agents get the comps and suddenly, the going price is significantly higher than 5 years ago.

All the rich folks from China buying real estate in Vancouver driving prices of homes into the millions.

Where I live, there are lots of high paid corporate folks from a handful of companies and the real estate prices are much higher than areas that are further away from a comfortable commute. I've heard one real estate speculator offering a buyer cash back if they agree to a higher selling price effectively raising the comparative selling prices for the other homes he's selling in the area.

I heard another case where toyota was moving to a town somewhere in the south and as soon as the announcement was made, speculators bought up the properties and drove up the price before the employees could relocate.
Yesterday 05:16 PM
Yes, that was the case, and same thing happen when Dell was moving to LR back a few years ago. They built a new sub-division and some firm came in and bought up the property to do the same. Just glad the Dell build out fell through, because that idiot company is stuck with property they cant sell.

Quote:
UNC4Me Reality is that high COL and high salaries go hand in hand. Sure there are those who make high salaries in low COL places, but they tend to be the exceptions not the rule. Reality also tells us businesses cater to those with money to spend. Thatís why you donít see Starbucks or an Apple Store in poor neighborhoods. Theyíre in business to make money which is a good thing for those who rely on them for employment.
I get it, but again your driving away the other customers for a quick dollar? I understand some things like over price apple will cater to the high end buyer, or they wouldn't be the rich as they are. Apple knows how to advertise and cater to some of these morons and banks on their uneducated mind about how much a phone and OS really does cost. But that is your choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i think a certain someone here needs the doctor phil forum not the economic forum
Nope, sorry. I am not insane yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
A spelling class wouldn't hurt, either.
look folks.. its another grammar police troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Horrible analogy.

If you have an agreement for a six month lease for xyz/month, and complete those six months paying xyz there is no bait and switch, you got exactly the terms of the deal you agreed to. Trato hecho. I don't know what alternate universe you imagine where agreeing on a price for a given term has an implicit guarantee of no future price increases after the term is up, but I'd recommend not basing your personal finance decisions on things that happen in said universe.
Back up the bus. Some things i said are not my personal business, but some is what I been through and i am sure some on here has as well. We all cope with it and ask our self's, Why am i being nickle and dime to death and what can i do to fight it. You fight for tax increases don't ya? Well as a consumer, i fight for retail or rental increases with out a justifiable cause. If your just raising it so you can go buy a boat, then we have the right to refuse or have an argument on your justification. Supply and demand only gets you so far, till it becomes greedy economics.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
May be not helpful, but damn sure isn't right.
We're very much in a time where getting mad is no longer useful. It's time to calm down and get even... start making things even, that is.

And no, not through simple grab-and-distribute, as the FNNites instantly assume.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:23 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,027,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
We're very much in a time where getting mad is no longer useful. It's time to calm down and get even... start making things even, that is.

And no, not through simple grab-and-distribute, as the FNNites instantly assume.
what do you suggest in getting even? Other then buying a home and/or renting it out. If it was just "supply and demand" then all the APTs in the same building will have same prices. Just to tease you with the low cost to get you in and bait you. They know you will struggle if you need to move, so they just sit their and increase the prices after each lease renewal. Its a dk move, and it is a use car salesman approached. Talk all nice to you, make you think your getting a good deal, and at the end, it cost you more in the long run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics