U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2018, 08:49 PM

1,615 posts, read 690,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
If he is, he's been pretty garbled in expressing it. I guess he thinks he's in a tech insider forum where there's only one definition of each term.

I know full well what an architect is in the tech world, but "builder" is a new one, and in combination I think I.M. Pei & Associates and Teichert Construction.
While I appreciate your attempt to bore this topic with all the things you don't know about, the original poster was focused on the question 'Does high COL coincide to the fact their is jobs that have a higher then market salaries? '. I think it's been answered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 06:52 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,496,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
While I appreciate your attempt to bore this topic with all the things you don't know about, the original poster was focused on the question 'Does high COL coincide to the fact their is jobs that have a higher then market salaries? '. I think it's been answered.
I think *you* have actually done a good job illustrating your very bubble-like understanding of hiring/ salaries
typically paid in high COL areas.

Architects are now tech workers? ROTFL

Old 02-04-2018, 03:51 AM

64,554 posts, read 66,100,109 times
i can only speak for myself , but i found living here in nyc (not manhattan) gave me opportunities that i don't think i would have had in places like PA where we had a 2nd home .

i had an excellent decent paying career with wages that have now left me with a substantial work history and i now get a lifetime of higher social security payments for my wife and i that stay the same no matter where we go to live. those higher wages really can beef up what you get . a well paid couple delaying until 70 can see over 80k a year in just social security .

those payments can last as long as we spent working .

i had fabulous real estate investment opportunity's here in manhattan .

being involved in such a vast business related world here left me with so many business contacts that when i wanted to switch jobs in 2010 i was actually interviewing companies to see where i wanted to go vs them interviewing me .

so i found a big advantage being here during my working years and the hcola paid off very well .

many of our friends found the same situation here . so , noooooo not everyone is successful in hcola's but i believe it increases your odds that you can be . i always felt if you can't make it here and be successful , where will you make it ?

even in retirement i can work as much as i want because there is just so much opportunity for decent paying side work . i choose to work one day a week here because i like what i do but in pa i would have had to work multiple days to earn the same thing since there really were no decent wages in the pocono area .

again , i can only speak for my own work history .

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-04-2018 at 04:02 AM..

Old 02-05-2018, 10:00 AM

1,615 posts, read 690,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
I think *you* have actually done a good job illustrating your very bubble-like understanding of hiring/ salaries
typically paid in high COL areas.

Architects are now tech workers? ROTFL
Here are the types of architects we hire. Didn't realize it was so hard for some people to Google things:

Technical Architect in tech industry - https://www.cwjobs.co.uk/careers-adv...ical-architect

Data Architect - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_architect

Business Warehouse Architect - https://www.techopedia.com/definitio...t-bi-architect

User Experience Architect - https://artisantalent.com/job-descri...b-description/

Machine Learning Architect - https://xilinx.referrals.selectminds...ect-ml-ai-4371

And programmers today are really builders - they build services and products for customers versus writing reports like they did in the past.

https://www.webpagefx.com/blog/inter...-in-the-world/

I'll stay in my bubble.

Old 02-05-2018, 10:36 AM

2,986 posts, read 1,017,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
Here are the types of architects we hire. Didn't realize it was so hard for some people to Google things:
[...]
I'll stay in my bubble.
I'm not sure you left it.

Look, I've been in tech since it was still called "electronics." And I'm completely aware of the term "architect" as it applies (mostly) to software development. But go reread your posts and tell me where anyone not in a deep-geek tech forum would read "architect" and "builder" in the narrow, industry-specific meaning you intended.

You could have corrected this in one short followup, but you chose to play me and everyone else who WTF'ed as ignorant idiots.

So I'll just say you're a Quality Poster here... and leave it to you to figure out which niche terminology that term actually stems from.

Old 02-05-2018, 12:53 PM

6,818 posts, read 4,410,206 times
Maybe I'm a troglodyte and fossil, but by my reckoning, there are only two types of architect:

1. "regular" architect. Designs buildings. As a subset of the profession, there's "landscape architect": designs parks etc.

2. naval architect. Designs ships.

Returning to the thread's theme, both of the above professions are highly local. It is possible for an architect of the first type, to have his/her office at some remote location, interacting with clients via e-mail and skype and so forth. But that assumes that a professional network is already in place. The architect knows builders and inspectors and so forth, and is licensed in the jurisdiction in question. This generally happens well into one's career, by which time one has become very senior. A younger or journeyman-level architect would have to be on-site.

For a naval architect, it is also possible to work from a remote location, again assuming that this person is very senior and can manage a team of subordinates remotely. Otherwise, several naval architects would work together (along withe marine engineers, mechanical engineers, electrical engineers and so forth)... and the entire firm is typically not far from a shipbuilding site.

In sum, a senior professional could semi-retire, move to some different part of the country (or the world!), and continue professional practice remotely. For a mid-career professional, it remains essential to remain on-site, near customers and colleagues.

Again, maybe I'm a fossil, but by my reckoning, a person who writes computer-code is called a computer programmer. That is neither an architect nor an engineer, any more than say an advertising executive is a "social engineer", or speechwriter would be a "public relations engineer". Can a computer programmer work remotely? Yes, assuming that the person is sufficiently senior. But for a journeyman-level programmer, working as part of a team? Likely, not.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:51 PM

455 posts, read 309,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Capitalism
Because they don't think you should have the right to keep your money. They want as much of it as they can possible squeeze out of you til you die and then they'll try to get even more. They never have enough. It's called greed and it's one of the seven deadly sins. Not that anyone cares.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:43 AM

11,315 posts, read 5,839,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

i had an excellent decent paying career with wages that have now left me with a substantial work history and i now get a lifetime of higher social security payments for my wife and i that stay the same no matter where we go to live. those higher wages really can beef up what you get . a well paid couple delaying until 70 can see over 80k a year in just social security .
Yep. My spreadsheet says $82,740. There's no state income tax on it. The house is paid for and is in a relatively low property tax rate town. Taxes, insurance, utilities, and some maintenance might be 10% of our combined Social Security check.

The trick is making it to age 70 where you collect that max Social Security check. The numbers also don't look so great when somebody dies and you're doing it on $40K instead of $80K. You need the reserve to account for that.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:46 AM

2,986 posts, read 1,017,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamillaB View Post
Because they don't think you should have the right to keep your money. They want as much of it as they can possible squeeze out of you til you die and then they'll try to get even more. They never have enough. It's called greed and it's one of the seven deadly sins. Not that anyone cares.
I do. But "capitalism" is not the enemy here. It's just a petri dish for growing predators.

Old 02-08-2018, 02:27 PM

6,695 posts, read 7,352,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamillaB View Post
Nothing greedy about capitalism. Nor is it evil. Nobody is forcing anyone to take part in the transaction in capitalism. Person A has something to sell or rent and sets a price that they feel their item is worth. Person B decides whether or not to purchase or rent the item based on their assessment of the item's worth.

As to the OP, supply and demand is the main reason for a higher COL in high salary areas. Higher salaries draw more people to the area, leading to a higher demand for available properties. When you have high demand vs. limited supply, the price goes up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics