Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 04:24 PM

277 posts, read 306,568 times

Advertisements

Almost everyone I work with works remotely/ from home. I can live wherever (although realistically within reasonable driving distance to an airport) as long as I have internet. I make more now than I was when I lived in the Bay Area.

As companies continue to be more flexible with remote work, it will be interesting to see how COL in "hot" areas is affected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 04:30 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyupgrl View Post
Almost everyone I work with works remotely/ from home. I can live wherever (although realistically within reasonable driving distance to an airport) as long as I have internet. I make more now than I was when I lived in the Bay Area.

As companies continue to be more flexible with remote work, it will be interesting to see how COL in "hot" areas is affected.
Just about the only higher-paid work that can be done remotely is IT/software/soft engineering fields. While that's a big segment, expect AI to start reducing the demand just as robotics did for manufacturing, production and warehouse jobs. Besides, we can only create so many web pages for each other.

But your comment is interesting in a "But everyone is just like me" sense - that being everyone you know and work with in your specific field. Bit of a bubble. (Which we're all prone to.) Have you considered how the hundreds of workers you interact with in daily life might phone it in? Even jobs that seem nominally suited to remote employees are often more efficient from a central or group location. More than one company has remoted, say, its accounting department, then quietly pulled it back in because it just didn't really work as well without group interaction.

Last edited by Quietude; 01-17-2018 at 04:38 PM..

Old 01-17-2018, 05:49 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,253,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Just about the only higher-paid work that can be done remotely is IT/software/soft engineering fields.on.
Luckily, that’s far from being the case currently.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Luckily, that’s far from being the case currently.
What other fields have significant remote employment and are NOT contractor/gig/freelance based? I can think of only things like distributed call center workers and other rather commodity positions. What am I overlooking?

(I mean, technically I am a "remote worker" since my clients are distributed around the globe, but that's not really the same thing as fully employed by a company and working from a non-company location.)

Old 01-17-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Its actually getting harder to find a High wages in a Low COL. I assume i was doing that my self. Work in austin, but live in killeen. It is cheaper by far, but slowly raising their prices. Because the high market rates is pushing people out of austin to outer part of towns. This is causing others to try and get austin rental rates in a min wage hour town.
Killeen? You should be getting your finances in order to buy a home to hedge against rent increases there. Right now a newer home can be had for less than 200k, with a modest 4k tax bill.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
What other fields have significant remote employment and are NOT contractor/gig/freelance based? I can think of only things like distributed call center workers and other rather commodity positions. What am I overlooking?

(I mean, technically I am a "remote worker" since my clients are distributed around the globe, but that's not really the same thing as fully employed by a company and working from a non-company location.)
HR and Consulting have a lot of remote opportunities that are not gig based.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:13 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Does high COL coincide to the fact their is jobs that have a higher then market salaries?

Example: Town has average job rate 10$ a hour /400 week. So COL is base on this wage. Everybody still have some funds left over to go eat dinner at red lobster. Rent around $300 and average food is $100 a week. So now google comes in offers $20 a hour /800 week. Since the Business and LL knows that the person got a huge pay check, they are now raising the rents to $600 and food is now $200. So why jack up the COL due to increase in a person pay check?
The landlord wants the highest rent they can get. The home seller wants the highest price he/she can get. The wage earner wants the highest wage he/she can get.

You're no different than anyone else. Don't you want the highest wage you can get? Are you willing to work for less than what someone offers you? Do you care about their business expenses? I doubt it.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:15 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Does high COL coincide to the fact their is jobs that have a higher then market salaries?
Jobs pay market wages, not "higher then [sic] market salaries."

Quote:
Example: Town has average job rate 10$ a hour /400 week. So COL is base on this wage.
No, Cost-of-Living is not based on that wage.

Quote:
Everybody still have some funds left over to go eat dinner at red lobster. Rent around $300 and average food is $100 a week. So now google comes in offers $20 a hour /800 week. Since the Business and LL knows that the person got a huge pay check, they are now raising the rents to $600 and food is now $200. So why jack up the COL due to increase in a person pay check?
That's not how it works, but keep trying.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
HR and Consulting have a lot of remote opportunities that are not gig based.
HR? Really? For the fairly routine info processing and reporting tasks? I can't see how remote would work well for anything involving employee interaction. I mean, maybe, in a company with a good conferencing system.

"Consulting" is pretty vague, and is almost inherently client/job/project/freelance/gig based. Unless you mean from the other end, where a consulting company with salaried employees remotes them.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
HR? Really? For the fairly routine info processing and reporting tasks? I can't see how remote would work well for anything involving employee interaction. I mean, maybe, in a company with a good conferencing system.
You are behind in your knowledge base, amigo. Please don't tell me you have some sort of advanced degree and still fail to research something before posting here as gospel

Yes, HR does this without having to be in the offices. All HR firms, or companies w/ HR departments? No. But all you need are telephones, or a rudimentary conferencing system. They can substitute the more common apps on a smartphone when the big guns ever fail. It's called leveraging broadband access

Quote:
"Consulting" is pretty vague, and is almost inherently client/job/project/freelance/gig based. Unless you mean from the other end, where a consulting company with salaried employees remotes them.
Yes, it is vague since it encompasses some different things. I assure you, some consulting firms have employees who don't have to meet in an office and primarily work remotely. Does this mean they never have to visit a 'home base'? No! Sometimes it's necessary. Do they get the same work done? Absolutely.

FWIW, a close friend of mine will typically meet me for lunch on occasion, in-between client calls on his laptop, the majority of which he doesn't have to interface with physically. A lot different when my dad had to travel frequently back in the 1980s. My mom hated that

cheers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics