U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 01:00 PM

15,371 posts, read 25,586,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Does high COL coincide to the fact their is jobs that have a higher then market salaries?

Example: Town has average job rate 10$ a hour /400 week. So COL is base on this wage. Everybody still have some funds left over to go eat dinner at red lobster. Rent around $300 and average food is $100 a week. So now google comes in offers $20 a hour /800 week. Since the Business and LL knows that the person got a huge pay check, they are now raising the rents to $600 and food is now $200. So why jack up the COL due to increase in a person pay check?
Google coming would be an unusual situation and one that many places may like. You mentioned that the cost of rent doubles. I would think that would not happen overnight. When I rented I had a yearly lease. The LL would honor that year lease even if I was making more money. Lets say someone new comes to the area. A landlord could increase the rents on the new people very easy, especially if supply and demand warranted it. For those that are already there, I doubt that a major increase would happen over night.

As a home owner my cost are set for the life of the loan. Property tax can go up minimally.

The cost of food would more than likely stay the same. I can't imagine that Red Lobster would double the cost to eat there. I don't know what Red Lobster charges from one place to another but I am thinking that as a National Chain they would charge the same. Google moving to your town would not change the prices at Red Lobster. If one supermarket started charging double on the cost of food other supermarkets would more than likely get increased business as people would change stores.

All in all, you would be in a better place to take the $20 an hour job even if the rent eventually doubled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 01:03 PM

5,607 posts, read 4,162,357 times
Quote:
Again force out of town or to change the status que when we was doing just fine till so call Suppl and demand kicked in. What if nothing changed just person the salary? You would still jack up the COL because they earn more now. It does happen.. thus the person who got the raise is being offset again. Cant win for gaining anything.

What? Are you claiming that anytime a single individual gets a pay increase, their expenses go up also? That's nonsensical. Things cost more over time due to increased costs of doing business like cost of goods, transportation, utilities, salaries, benefits and taxes not because a few people got raises. In other words, no ones lease has a clause that allows the landlord to immediately raise your rent when you get a raise.

When wages as a whole increase due to good job opportunities then, yes rents and the overall cost of living will, over time, trend up. This also happens where jobs aren't particularly well paid, but have other benefits that draw in a large amount of people who want to live there.

Old 01-18-2018, 01:09 PM

15,371 posts, read 25,586,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyupgrl View Post
There are tons of people across various functions that I know who work remotely... I mostly deal with Sales, Marketing, and Finance folks as well as IT.

I do think remote work tends to make more sense at larger companies, where employees are already spread out across multiple office locations in multiple countries. Even if I worked from our HQ office, 80% of the people I work with would be remote to me.
I wanted to add, we have plenty of IT people that work remotely. One bought a home in a Lower cost of living area and at first worked a deal to work remotely 3 days a week. Within a year he was working remotely all the time.

Some years back we made a change with the transcriptionist. A few of them tried working from home. It was a success and over time all of them have since moved to the home. A caveat to this is that a company did come in and took over that function. They did hire all of our former transcriptionist and from what I know all of them that stayed are still working from home.

We have billing personal that work out of the home, some of the business office staff have the option.

My sister works for a large health insurance company and they gave her a home office. Her sister in law works for the same company and they offered her the same deal. My sister has to travel all over the country still but she likes the fact that when she is at the home office, she really is at the "home office".

Old 01-18-2018, 01:24 PM

261 posts, read 294,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
you could work for a large system, IE healthcare/govt that operates out in a rural area but get paid the same as if you are in the city where they are located

basically, take your city wages and live in a rural community which tend to be cheaper

IT companies do this as remote work, sales jobs don't care where rep is as long as they can get to an airport
This is my strategy to maximize income. I live in a small town the midwest (flyover country). New graduates in my field call it BFE (Bum F*k Egypt). People in my field make about the same regardless of location.

Low taxes, cheap good restaurants, 10 minute drive to work from an excellent bedroom community. My house cost less than half of similar urban homes.

The median wages around here are about $12/hr, and that is why costs are so low. But I also see how the new graduates who demand to live in NYC, LA, or SF are losing so much value. This is especially important when saving for retirement.

Old 01-18-2018, 01:25 PM

3,017 posts, read 1,028,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flip33 View Post
New graduates in my field call it BFE (Bum F*k Egypt).
Haven't heard that one in a long time. Is it anywhere near East Jesus, Kentucky?

Old 01-18-2018, 01:29 PM

261 posts, read 294,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Haven't heard that one in a long time. Is it anywhere near East Jesus, Kentucky?
No, probably closer to Sodom and Gomorrah, Missouri.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:35 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,029,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post

When wages as a whole increase due to good job opportunities then, yes rents and the overall cost of living will, over time, trend up. This also happens where jobs aren't particularly well paid, but have other benefits that draw in a large amount of people who want to live there.

In some areas i can see small increase little at a time, and some places it happens quickly the u think.. Take austin for that example. They put you on 6 month lease at min so they can raise their rents to keep up with the jones down the road management company.

But as a whole, their really isnt a need to increase the COL unless something dramtic changes like your cost. But if your a big company, you can control your cost with out increase prices.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip33 View Post
This is my strategy to maximize income. I live in a small town the midwest (flyover country). New graduates in my field call it BFE (Bum F*k Egypt). People in my field make about the same regardless of location.

Low taxes, cheap good restaurants, 10 minute drive to work from an excellent bedroom community. My house cost less than half of similar urban homes.

The median wages around here are about $12/hr, and that is why costs are so low. But I also see how the new graduates who demand to live in NYC, LA, or SF are losing so much value. This is especially important when saving for retirement.

Yes if the wages are 12 a hour, then cost will be low. But what if they say, hey were moving you to 15 a hour.. you will see cost increase and thats the issue. You can have a low COL and decent wages, just they ( business) wants to justify a reason to raise prices. As a whole their isnt a NEED, its more of a WANT.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:07 PM

3,017 posts, read 1,028,996 times
Quote:
Yes if the wages are 12 a hour, then cost will be low. But what if they say, hey were moving you to 15 a hour.. you will see cost increase and thats the issue. You can have a low COL and decent wages, just they ( business) wants to justify a reason to raise prices. As a whole their isnt a NEED, its more of a WANT.
I am not sure you understand any of what's being said to you here. You persist in a vein of insisting that things should be some certain way, and it's just some kind of greed or oppression that they aren't. The economic forces at work have been explained in detail; they aren't pretty but they aren't arbitrary, either.

Did you want something other than a high wage in a low-cost area, or a winning lottery ticket, or a pony?

Old 01-18-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I am not sure you understand any of what's being said to you here. You persist in a vein of insisting that things should be some certain way, and it's just some kind of greed or oppression that they aren't. The economic forces at work have been explained in detail; they aren't pretty but they aren't arbitrary, either.

Did you want something other than a high wage in a low-cost area, or a winning lottery ticket, or a pony?
i want my cake and ice cream.. but ill take the pony.

I get what others are saying, not denying that. Just need some point in our life and say enough is enough on jacking up things ,"just because". And it is about greed and always will be about greed. You do your best to max out your product till somebody complains, then lower it down by few cents to shut em up.. But few weeks later you jack it up higher then before. They complain, but then you lower it back down to the original price and you get what you wanted. Rinse and repeat. Typical retailers psychology standards. JCP is a good example..

shirt was 8.99 but now the upper management wants a new house so you price it to 10.99. People complain about price, so you lower it to 9.99, but you really want that 10.99 price point. So you let the 9.99 slide for a few weeks as a "sale" but in reality you just raise the regular price by a dollar and call it a sale. So after your sale is done, you jack it up to 11.99. Again people complain, so you just put a sale on it at 10.99 at the price point you really wanted. You throw up a sale tag for 10.99 for a week and let it expired. Now you got a regular price at 10.99 till the next complaint, mean while you got your PP and the consumer got screwed out of 2 bucks for your sales tactic. ( looking at you JCP)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics