U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 04:43 PM

5,610 posts, read 4,176,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
i want my cake and ice cream.. but ill take the pony.

I get what others are saying, not denying that. Just need some point in our life and say enough is enough on jacking up things ,"just because". And it is about greed and always will be about greed. You do your best to max out your product till somebody complains, then lower it down by few cents to shut em up.. But few weeks later you jack it up higher then before. They complain, but then you lower it back down to the original price and you get what you wanted. Rinse and repeat. Typical retailers psychology standards. JCP is a good example..

shirt was 8.99 but now the upper management wants a new house so you price it to 10.99. People complain about price, so you lower it to 9.99, but you really want that 10.99 price point. So you let the 9.99 slide for a few weeks as a "sale" but in reality you just raise the regular price by a dollar and call it a sale. So after your sale is done, you jack it up to 11.99. Again people complain, so you just put a sale on it at 10.99 at the price point you really wanted. You throw up a sale tag for 10.99 for a week and let it expired. Now you got a regular price at 10.99 till the next complaint, mean while you got your PP and the consumer got screwed out of 2 bucks for your sales tactic. ( looking at you JCP)
Hate to break it to you but NO retail business lowers prices because people complain. They have sales because sales drive traffic which in turn increases sales. Not a hard concept to grasp.

And of course the purpose of businesses is to maximize earnings for their shareholders. If they raise prices and sales/earnings also rise, then they know prices are not too high. If earnings fall due to declining sales then they rethink their pricing strategies. Basically if a business or landlord can raise their prices and still sell their goods or rent their properties then the price isnít too high. Just because some canít afford it doesnít matter as long as others can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 04:54 PM

3,142 posts, read 1,069,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Hate to break it to you but NO retail business lowers prices because people complain. They have sales because sales drive traffic which in turn increases sales. Not a hard concept to grasp.
Well, it proved impossible for the tech genius who took over JC Penney and promptly eliminated all the sales that drew in their clients. Flat pricing worked beautifully for Apple, so it must work just as well for an old-line, slightly downscale clothing store known for its perpetual sale prices, right?

Old 01-18-2018, 04:54 PM

12,744 posts, read 9,495,163 times
Quote:
Everybody still have some funds left over to go eat dinner at red lobster.
I'm having a tough time with that statement.

Why would anyone voluntarily eat dinner at Red Lobster?

Old 01-18-2018, 05:05 PM

12,744 posts, read 9,495,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Just about the only higher-paid work that can be done remotely is IT/software/soft engineering fields.
A few others to add to the list:

Patent prosecution -- patent attorneys can be just about anywhere
Tax law -- can be just about anywhere
Tax accounting -- can be just about anywhere
Radiology -- radiologists reading X-Rays, MRIs & CTs are usually remote

Last edited by SportyandMisty; 01-18-2018 at 05:14 PM..

Old 01-18-2018, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Why would anyone voluntarily eat dinner at Red Lobster?
Especially without packing a lunch. While their huge spread of seafood is tempting, I finally gave up on them two decades ago for both slow service and their relentless tactic of shunting you into the lounge for at least 10 minutes regardless of how busy they were. The last time we went on a family dinner at one, I suggested we all bring books and pull them out for the lacunae between server visits. There were about nine of us, and we'd already started by clogging up the lobby until they seated us.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:01 PM

7,057 posts, read 5,238,998 times
Quote:
Again force out of town or to change the status que when we was doing just fine till so call Suppl and demand kicked in. What if nothing changed just person the salary? You would still jack up the COL because they earn more now. It does happen.. thus the person who got the raise is being offset again. Cant win for gaining anything.
No, that isn't how it works. They can only jack up the rents if other people come in from out of town to take advantage of the higher wage.

Why does Austin cost more than Houston? Its more than the job market. People want to move to Austin not only for the job market but because its hip and cool.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:04 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,038,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Well, it proved impossible for the tech genius who took over JC Penney and promptly eliminated all the sales that drew in their clients. Flat pricing worked beautifully for Apple, so it must work just as well for an old-line, slightly downscale clothing store known for its perpetual sale prices, right?
Exactly! We did their Wireless upgrade for the so call LEVI dept for the apple HH. Soon as the project finished and we sent our bill in, they started to close up shop. Talking about running a company to the ground, he did exactly that!

Old 01-18-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
No, that isn't how it works. They can only jack up the rents if other people come in from out of town to take advantage of the higher wage.

Why does Austin cost more than Houston? Its more than the job market. People want to move to Austin not only for the job market but because its hip and cool.
Sorry, they jack rent up after EVERY lease that renews. When i first got here 2 years ago, my 2 bed room apt was running 900 a month. 6 month renew went to 1050, the following 6 month went to 1275. This force me to move out to were i am now. I drive by that place and its semi-full but now they are running sale price for 900 again to get the next sucker. So if they can advertise for 900 for new clients, then why jack up the rates for existing ones?

Old 01-18-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post

And of course the purpose of businesses is to maximize earnings for their shareholders. If they raise prices and sales/earnings also rise, then they know prices are not too high. If earnings fall due to declining sales then they rethink their pricing strategies. Basically if a business or landlord can raise their prices and still sell their goods or rent their properties then the price isnít too high. Just because some canít afford it doesnít matter as long as others can.

Your just shrinking your clientele to the upper class when you do that. What once the low-middle class can afford, now cant because shareholders wants a new ride.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
A few others to add to the list:

Patent prosecution -- patent attorneys can be just about anywhere
Tax law -- can be just about anywhere
Tax accounting -- can be just about anywhere
Radiology -- radiologists reading X-Rays, MRIs & CTs are usually remote
I am good with the list, but so far it's just professions that theoretically can be remote and for which there are examples. And things like radiology, while done remotely from the patient/care site, are often done in an office - so it's a centralized office, but I wouldn't call it working remotely. Every instance of a non-local worker is not necessarily "working remotely."

Numbers, anyone? A simple article on how many remote workers (as in, permanently employed with one company and working from home or something a lot like it) might be around and in what fields?

I mean, a lot of psychics and sex workers work remotely, too. I can give you phone numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics