Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 09:16 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
The minimum wage in Australia is 2.5 times ours, yet you never hear of the same social problems. They never accept money into campaigns from anonymous sources like we do since Citizens United. Interesting, huh?
What social problems do you think Australia lacks? From http://www.acoss.org.au/wp-content/u...ralia-2016.pdf

"This latest Poverty Report 2016 finds that Australia has failed to reduce the level of overall poverty in our community over the 10 years to 2014, with 13.3% of the population (2.99 million people) living below the poverty line in 2013-14. Alarmingly, there has in fact been a 2 percentage point rise in the number of children living in poverty in the period,now 17.4% (731 300 children)."

Quote:
illogical childish emotion
Quote:
Pay no attention to jnojr, he is just reading soundbites that were spoon-fed to him by places like Fox News most likely, without taking the time to do mature things like fact-check. Or having compassion for someone in a situation ANY of us could fall into.
So in a single post you've both railed against those who argue with illogical childish emotion, then done the exact same thing by making accusations about another poster and assumptions about where his opinion came from. That's quite a feat.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:23 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,660,279 times
Quote:
Second, the average person in this country pays $36 in taxes for food stamps and $870 in corporate subsidies every year.
That's an incredibly misleading statement. Every time any government gives any kind of break to any business (If you move or expand here, instead of collecting x in taxes from you, we'll take x-n), the n is presented as some sort of "giveaway", like government reached into the pockets of the taxpayer, hauled money out, and gave it to the business. Meanwhile, nobody ever counts the extra spending and tax revenue that comes from having business and jobs there.

Or... we can subsidize poverty, or we can subsidize success. Which is a better deal for society? To "give a man a fish" today, knowing he'll be back tomorrow looking for another fish; or to invest in successful, profitable businesses which produce the goods and services people want and need, buy things, provide jobs, etc? If your figures were correct, which they aren't, the $870 in "corporate subsidies" goes to creating jobs, which reduces the number clamoring for the $36 in food stamps.

Next argument is, "But corporations don't invest those subsidies, they hoard them, and pay them out as bonuses to execs, it's PURE PROFIT!" Even if true... profit benefits owners (shareholders), which is frequently your 401(k) or pension plan. If the money is "hoarded", it's in a bank, where it's available to be lent out. If it's paid in excessive, obscene bonuses to greedy execs, guess what? Those people put it in a bank (see above), invest it (see above), or spend it... and when they buy yachts and mansions and jets and fancy cars, the people who build and service and operate and maintain those yachts and mansions and jets and fancy cars have jobs.

Old 01-19-2018, 11:09 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Meanwhile, nobody ever counts the extra spending and tax revenue that comes from having business and jobs there.
And having given away hundreds of millions in tax breaks and subsidies that would otherwise go to a more general good, we can all sit outside WalMart with our tin cups, waiting for the trickle.

Or we can go over to the $2B taxpayer-funded stadium and listen to the cheers... from the sidewalk.

I think you're onto something here.

Old 01-19-2018, 11:11 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
We need welfare but we don't need welfare as a way of life.
You are 100% wrong on this. There is no other sustainable future.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:55 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
You are 100% wrong on this. There is no other sustainable future.
You are correct Quietdude. A Basic Income is a must as the F500 begin to convert the $2T in offshore holdings into automation equipment to eliminate 50% of the remaining living wage jobs in this country in the next decade or two and polish off another 25% in the decade after. It will be a bloodbath if the present ideas about what is or what is not 'laziness' or 'deserving' are not re-idealized. An epic bloodbath.

Old 01-19-2018, 02:03 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,187,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
You are correct Quietdude. A Basic Income is a must as the F500 begin to convert the $2T in offshore holdings into automation equipment to eliminate 50% of the remaining living wage jobs in this country in the next decade or two and polish off another 25% in the decade after. It will be a bloodbath if the present ideas about what is or what is not 'laziness' or 'deserving' are not re-idealized. An epic bloodbath.
It doesn't matter.

Nobody cares. They will only care when their STAWK GAINZ don't protect them against the violent and unemployed youth looking for a scapegoat.

This didn't even touch on the impending oil crisis, which will only exacerbate this.

People are too short-sighted though to understand how they will be affected by this.

Old 01-19-2018, 02:09 PM

If you had to answer the question "which is the biggest group of Welfare consumers?" I bet most of you would get the answer wrong. In fact I was surprised by the answer (look it up) because it isn't even the less obvious answer. But it speaks to ingrained perception and the unwillingness most of us have to let go of preconceptions. Too bad, its destroying the country. Entire neighborhoods are allowed to decay into ruin and we say its because "those people don't take care of where they live". You don't take care of where you live. Your cities Civil Engineers take care of where you live! Your sanitation department takes care of where you live. When those services are withdrawn because of demographics. Blight. But look what happens when some bright light decides to gentrify a blighted area. Is anyone taking any better care of anything then? Erm... no. But developers insist that the city come in an pave the streets and fix the inoperative streetlights and broken watermains and etc. Some people are never told no when they send their applications in for TANF. Rubber stamped. They don't need the money. Trust me, they do not. They take it because its there. And there is more where it came from, so why not. Howard Hughes had something like $6B in todays money. They found him dead in a dirty, unkempt, shack in the woods. Hair matted, fingernails inches long. Clearly insane. Poor guy. Well what are the aliens going to say when they find this planet nuked back to single cell organisms? They will look at the immense wealth lying idle in the Cayman's and elsewhere and the fantastic personal fortunes of the mega-mega-rich and they will review the newsreels of the starving hordes rioting and they will scratch whatever they scratch and muse about the utter waste of it all...

Old 01-19-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
It doesn't matter.

Nobody cares. They will only care when their STAWK GAINZ don't protect them against the violent and unemployed youth looking for a scapegoat.

This didn't even touch on the impending oil crisis, which will only exacerbate this.

People are too short-sighted though to understand how they will be affected by this.
Not everyone is invested in the Stock Market. Fewer every day. And the youth won't be violent. Tell me, do you actually see any violent youth acting out against the 1% Any percent? Or do you see defeated youth overdosing on Fentanyl laced Heroin at 166 a day? That's what I see. Oil Crisis? Maybe... there is still plenty left. Enough so that I don't believe Peak Oil is around the corner as the thing that brings down The Grid. But allowing the 1% to make money offshore and bring it home without taxation going forward.... well... slap me, but I fail to see how that will incentivize Corporate America to do more domestic labor investment. I mean... why? <confused>.

Old 01-19-2018, 02:23 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,791,073 times
Quote:
I believe Quietdude was begin facetious.

Old 01-19-2018, 02:30 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,187,634 times
Quote:
Not everyone is invested in the Stock Market. Fewer every day. And the youth won't be violent. Tell me, do you actually see any violent youth acting out against the 1% Any percent? Or do you see defeated youth overdosing on Fentanyl laced Heroin at 166 a day? That's what I see. Oil Crisis? Maybe... there is still plenty left. Enough so that I don't believe Peak Oil is around the corner as the thing that brings down The Grid. But allowing the 1% to make money offshore and bring it home without taxation going forward.... well... slap me, but I fail to see how that will incentivize Corporate America to do more domestic labor investment. I mean... why? <confused>.
You haven't seen anything yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics