U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 04:31 PM

4,898 posts, read 2,176,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
It would be interesting if they did one and didn't pay everyone anyways. Seems so dumb to shut it down but once it's over employees and vendors get paid as if nothing happened. Monumental waste of money.
Depends which side of the table your on.
Fact: all govt contracts continue,the vendor is obligated to continue supplying the govt despite not getting paid. Who saves? The govt.because all funds are withheld and drawing interest daily ! You bet the govt likes that provision.
So cry me a river on how these politicians aren't coming to an agreement...They all agree that 'free' work while garnering interest often benefits the end goal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 04:47 PM

15,428 posts, read 8,081,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
What if they "shut down the government" and no one cared? OK, let me rephrase that -- what if almost no one outside of government cared?

Frankly, I'm bored with the whole "shut down the government" thing.
It's always oversold...Nancy dumbass Pelosi said people would die as a result of a government shutdown in 2013 and now she's pushing for one.....Democrats and their marketing arm (Mainstream Media) are just big fat liars.

Old 01-19-2018, 05:03 PM

2,711 posts, read 3,759,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
you will care when someone robs you because govt isn't there to stop them
Do you have federal police keeping the safety in your home town?

Old 01-19-2018, 05:04 PM

2,711 posts, read 3,759,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
It's always oversold...Nancy dumbass Pelosi said people would die as a result of a government shutdown in 2013 and now she's pushing for one.....Democrats and their marketing arm (Mainstream Media) are just big fat liars.
Well, the nursing home pushed my grandmother and her wheelchair outside and into a ditch ... well, that's sort of what Nancy implied.

Old 01-19-2018, 05:34 PM

4,142 posts, read 5,968,454 times
The Feds have contingency plans if there is a shutdown and some services are not subject to federal appropriations. So services like the TSA and air controllers, postal service, VA hospitals, federal prisons, Social Security checks, and a few other things will maintain the status quo. There have even been reports that there are contingency plans to keep the national parks open, unlike the last shutdown. Every federal agency also has a short list of employees who are required to come in if the government shuts down, so that there are enough folks to "keep the lights on" so to speak, when most of the agency's employees are furloughed.

Problem is simply that the longer a shutdown lasts, the more people will feel the pain, as loads of routine matters that might have been unaffected by a one-week closure get more problematic with, say a one-month shutdown. And that's not to mention the state of U.S. government finances, its bond rating, and how the country will be seen by other nations as fiscally incompetent.

Who will blink first and compromise, the Republicans or the Democrats? And if no one blinks and we do go down the road of a government shutdown, who gets blamed, the Republicans who control all three branches of government, or the opposition Democrats?

We shall see.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:22 PM

977 posts, read 534,931 times
It really irks me that Congress continues to get paid throughout the shutdown. Why are they exempt?

Federal employees basically get a free vacation as they get reimbursed when it is over - they have always done that, including in 2013. I feel sorry for those who are living paycheck to paycheck but the fed employees I know look upon it as a big freebie vacation. Unfortunately it is on the taxpayer's dime.

Old 01-19-2018, 11:19 PM

715 posts, read 256,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
It really irks me that Congress continues to get paid throughout the shutdown. Why are they exempt?

Federal employees basically get a free vacation as they get reimbursed when it is over - they have always done that, including in 2013. I feel sorry for those who are living paycheck to paycheck but the fed employees I know look upon it as a big freebie vacation. Unfortunately it is on the taxpayer's dime.
I couldn't agree more about the politicians in both houses of congress, the ones who're responsible for the shutdown. But fed employees who're the victims shouldn't be penalized, a lot of low level employees are living paycheck to paycheck too.

And BTW, congress isn't the only one to blame for this fiasco. I just heard a quip on the news, you'll never find a placard on Trump's desk that reads, "The Buck Stops Here". His failure to lead is the single biggest roadblock, but is that a surprise coming from someone who claimed that, we need a 'good' government shutdown?

Conservatives who think that the Dems will take the blame are the ones who can ignore Trump's lies and racism, or is that why they support him? They couldn't care less how low their president takes our country as long as he'll appoint hard right judges, shut down government services, cut health and safety standards, etc.

Actually shutting down the feds is a dream come true for hard right Repubs...

Old 01-19-2018, 11:29 PM

777 posts, read 490,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post

EXACTLY. I love how they craft these rules and laws that apply to everyone else but THEM. They also cooked up some special plan so they didnít have to pay the increased costs with Obamacare. I also love how they never get one thing done and still manage to take the month of August off. Iíve seen some stats that Congress legislates about 133 days per year with a starting salary of about $174k per year. Nice!

Old 01-19-2018, 11:51 PM

5,767 posts, read 3,208,240 times
The world is not going to end. Just talking points so one side can blame the other. Zzzzzzzzz.

Old 01-20-2018, 01:41 AM

2,258 posts, read 830,836 times
“Liberty, as it is conceived by current opinion, has nothing inherent about it; it is a sort of gift or trust bestowed on the individual by the state pending good behavior.” -- Mary McCarthy

Who would bestow the liberty upon us for good behavior, without the government? Could we expect good behavior, without a government?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or