U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 06:45 PM

2,252 posts, read 1,393,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
What irks me is that they are allowed to leave the Capital building at all. They lead the country. Lock em in until they get it done. Every company of any size that's worthwhile has an annual plan/budget.
And that’s why the government is a selfish failure. Both sides put politics over what’s good for the nation. To me, that’s the ultimate lack of regard for their duty. It wouldn’t be tolerated in the board room of a Fortune 500 company, but it’s par for the course in Congress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 07:29 PM

451 posts, read 136,233 times
Amazing...government shut down and the sun still rose.

Democrats, your guiding philosophy: that people are inept morons who are incapable of tying their own shoes without Big Government telling them to and regulating the process, just got proven wrong.

Without Big Government, the world actually goes on, and people can keep living. Imagine that.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:10 PM

8,021 posts, read 6,230,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
Amazing...government shut down and the sun still rose.

Democrats, your guiding philosophy: that people are inept morons who are incapable of tying their own shoes without Big Government telling them to and regulating the process, just got proven wrong.

Without Big Government, the world actually goes on, and people can keep living. Imagine that.
It appears you are ignorant to the fact that all government services are not shut down. Think before spouting partisan rhetoric.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:41 PM

13,666 posts, read 8,679,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
What if they "shut down the government" and no one cared? OK, let me rephrase that -- what if almost no one outside of government cared?

Frankly, I'm bored with the whole "shut down the government" thing.
If anyone can do this, Trump can. He should once and for all take this Sword of Damocles away from the Democrats and expose their empty threat for what it is.

Old 01-21-2018, 10:03 PM

13,666 posts, read 8,679,766 times
I keep hearing "checks" wouldn't be going out. May be this time around the government finds out about direct deposit. Wait...silly me.

Old 01-21-2018, 10:09 PM

5,242 posts, read 3,401,717 times
Quote:
Doesn't have anything to do with the Federal Government or its shutdown.

Doesn't have anything to do with the Federal Government or its shutdown.
How do you know there was no federal money involved in your infrastructure? Much of the major infrastructure in my town was connected to it - the airport was a WWII airbase and one of our biggest resorts was a WWII training camp. Both integral economic engines today. I don't know about yours, but my water system is indeed indebted to the federal government - the Civilian Conservation Corps initially provided the labor to build the dam that created our major reservoir. It was completed in 1949, funded by the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation which still manages it. The parent organization is the US Dept. of the Interior, which is set to have to 80% of its employees on furlough tomorrow.

Quote:
I'm named inventor on several patents and co-inventor on several more, the inventions of which are all in use -- most likely on the computer or smartphone or network you are using to access City-Data.

Does that count?
Whoop dee doo for you if true. I just patented that limerick by the way. If it's true, then you owe a debt to Cold War era, federally funded research, as well all do, for this wonderful time waster and cat video platform.

Quote:
Look, no one disagrees that government has a role to play and, to a greater or lesser extent, does a good job.

I'm just tired of "The Sky Is Falling" from the media about the shutdown.
This is the 18th of these "partial" shutdowns since 1974. It must benefit our political system in some perverted way to have them or else they would change that particular law - the Congressional Budget Act of 1974.

Ironically, we have shutdowns because of an effort during the Carter administration to be more fiscally responsible and actually follow laws as written - The Man Who Invented the Government Shutdown | TIME.com

Last edited by redguard57; 01-21-2018 at 10:32 PM..

Old 01-21-2018, 10:34 PM

1,673 posts, read 695,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
state and local govt are not shutting down. its the feds only
The only one that I noticed was when Clinton was in office. My sister in law was trying to get her citizenship and that was on hold. Government shutdown. Visiting Washington D.C. all the national museums and monuments run on the government dime were shut down.

In other words, back then, the government shutdown didn't impact my life at all. Same with this one.

Old 01-21-2018, 10:39 PM

1,673 posts, read 695,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sagain View Post
Really. So all the shutdowns in prior years that kept us from any government building or properties, or people not getting paid, or people not able to pay their rent or mortgages, or pay for school, or health are just marketing bankruptcies? Whatís wrong with you. Good thing people like you donít ever make it to the ballot box because they are busy being useless.
And you are on the other end of the spectrum.
Once the shut down is over those paid workers will get their money. They don't miss out on a thing. I watched it happen when my son was in the Air Force. It was like a skipped paycheck then came back double.

There was a 16 day shutdown during Obama. Sixteen days. That's like missing one paycheck. Not like the companies that go out of business, closing doors, and laying off their employees. Those government employees know they'll get their money. They just have a nice holiday. And at the rates they're paid, they can afford to take that break.

Old 01-21-2018, 11:30 PM

5,242 posts, read 3,401,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post
And you are on the other end of the spectrum.
Once the shut down is over those paid workers will get their money. They don't miss out on a thing. I watched it happen when my son was in the Air Force. It was like a skipped paycheck then came back double.

There was a 16 day shutdown during Obama. Sixteen days. That's like missing one paycheck. Not like the companies that go out of business, closing doors, and laying off their employees. Those government employees know they'll get their money. They just have a nice holiday. And at the rates they're paid, they can afford to take that break.
It's not like nothing. They have to make up for all the lost work, it's typically more expensive for taxpayers in the long run to make up for the lost time.

A few days, it's a minor inconvenience. 16 days like in 2013... people were just starting to notice moderate inconveniences.

If it lasted 6-8 weeks... yes then you'd start to see firms that do business with the federal government begin to have financial stress.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:22 AM

11,070 posts, read 11,474,429 times
Quote:
It is actually saving us taxpayers $86 per hour.

But at the end of the day, it doesn't save anything.

Chuck Schumer should stop wasting the oxygen in the atmosphere.
I like that he's holding the Republican's feet to the fire about their damned white supremacist agenda. They had a deal on DACA and the Rs reneged. Come 8 AM and the defense contractors realizing the government teat has gone dry, things will be interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or