U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 03:43 AM

4,940 posts, read 2,565,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
What if they "shut down the government" and no one cared? OK, let me rephrase that -- what if almost no one outside of government cared?

Frankly, I'm bored with the whole "shut down the government" thing.
Oh, they will care.

It will eventually effect everyone.

My husband is getting a free paid vacation right now. He will get some chores down today, catch up on some movies, wash our cars, etc. He is home until the shutdown is over. In the end he will get paid for his time while the shutdown was going on.
You should feel jealous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 11:42 AM

1,029 posts, read 435,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I tihnk half our government could disappear and we'd the people wouldn't even notice.
Agreed. Let's shut down the Pentagon half, or most of it.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:51 AM

5,242 posts, read 3,397,122 times
Well, it looks like this was a short-lived weekend shutdown. So, no harm no foul.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/22/u...T.nav=top-news

I figured as much. The sticking point was DACA... 80% of Americans agree with the intent behind DACA. Trump wants a wall. Democrats, and Trump although he won't admit it, have figured out that a wall is impossible across a long swath of the border and not $Billions will build a wall across hundreds of miles of wilderness. There are about 700 miles of existing fence from 2007-09 and "The Wall" will simply end up being a hardening of that existing barrier.

The other problem was Trump changing the goalposts, confounding Republicans as much as Democrats. Schumer just went to McConnell and they worked it out, live to fight on next month.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:42 PM

3,676 posts, read 3,254,531 times
Apparently the Democrats just voted to end their own filibuster. Vote was 81-18.

So, a 1 day shutdown if you don't count the weekend.

Now they have a few weeks to figure out a DACA solution.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:54 PM

8,154 posts, read 6,006,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Meanwhile, active duty military personnel and their families do not get paid. They don't generally have tons of extra money or resources laying around to see them through this sort of brouhaha - they just have to deal with it somehow. AND they have to just keep working too. It's disgusting but it's definitely not boring for them.
The basics of you point are valid.. However..

The average shutdown is 3 days.

The longest two shutdowns on record were the two most recent.. In 1995 it was a month. From Dec 5, 1995 to January 6, 1996.. Then in 2013 it was October 1 to 17th.

There has not been a situation where a shutdown has lasted long enough to really cause damage. I'm sure there were some sweating people during that month long one over Christmas and the 2 week one in 2013 would have been tough on some people. But all others wouldn't even qualify as blips on the radar.

I do find it interesting that the NPS isn't tossing people out of the WWII memorial this time. In fact, the 2013 shutdown is the only time that has happened that I know of.

Sure, things like the Smithsonians might shut down, tours of congress/white house etc.. But that was dirty last time when they basically said "No, you can't look at monuments because the government is shut down. The outside is closed"

Military and everyone else DO get paid.. Eventually. I agree with you that it pains them because commissaries and PXes and the like are closed and no money is coming in.. But they're not working for free, which is something that I've heard too much. They're working on credit, yes, but not for free.

Technically.. I disagree with the back pay authorization for the people who were furloughed. If you work a factory job and get furloughed for 3 weeks.. You don't get paid for those three weeks when the factory starts back up.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:46 PM

1,745 posts, read 2,030,781 times
If I don't get my tax refund on time I'll be pretty much pissed. But it's a price I myself am okay with paying if it means the DACA kids are saved. I'm disgusted beyond belief that the Republicans have even made this an issue. They are morally bankrupt, to the core. Their level of scumminess seems to have no bottom. And they are a disgrace to this nation.

Old 01-22-2018, 04:34 PM

8,154 posts, read 6,006,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
If I don't get my tax refund on time I'll be pretty much pissed. But it's a price I myself am okay with paying if it means the DACA kids are saved. I'm disgusted beyond belief that the Republicans have even made this an issue. They are morally bankrupt, to the core. Their level of scumminess seems to have no bottom. And they are a disgrace to this nation.
At the end of the day.. DACA 'kids', some(many?) of which are over 18 at this point.. Are here illegally.

Stopping pay to the people who defend the country for people who, legally, are not citizens of this country.. Seems out of whack.

If you are 2 and your mother breaks into a house with you..They don't charge a 2 year old for breaking and entering.. But the 2 year old doesn't get to stay in the house, either.

I agree on the point that something needs to be done.. I disagree that this is the way to do it. I also don't know what the answer is.. because we can't just say "you're citizens", otherwise, that opens the floodgates for people to bring their kids in. Automatically tossing someone who is 30 years old who was brought here when they were 2 out doesn't seem right, either. But.. How to prove when someone was brought here?

Where is the balance? It's a difficult question to answer. Having compassion without being a doormat can be tricky.

I'd want to say "Any of them are convicted of a felony have to leave".. But.. common sense has to come in here, too.. I mean, someone who rolls back an odometer (which is a felony) isn't exactly Al Capone. while someone who has a buttload of assault convictions (which are generally not felonies) probably isn't someone I want around here.

Old 01-22-2018, 04:36 PM

4,001 posts, read 1,778,146 times
My inner geek has been compromised. From PubMed website:

"PubMed is open, however, it is being maintained with minimal staffing due to the lapse in government funding. Information will be updated to the extent possible, and the agency will attempt to respond to urgent operational inquiries. Updates regarding government operating status and resumption of normal operations can be found at opm.gov."

Sigh. I guess I'll be a little less annoying now. Or not ...

Old 01-22-2018, 04:55 PM

4,847 posts, read 2,149,409 times
Temporary re opening the govt.

I genuinely feel disappointed. The Republicans are playing the ' sure sign here,we'll ummm..review the daca rules'. Yeah they'll review it right out of existence.
But by golly,dt gets his wall. Now if he can just reside over there.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:55 PM

11,054 posts, read 11,460,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Apparently the Democrats just voted to end their own filibuster. Vote was 81-18.

So, a 1 day shutdown if you don't count the weekend.

Now they have a few weeks to figure out a DACA solution.
It wasn't a filibuster, it was stuck in committee. The 81-18 vote was to bring it to the floor for a vote. They already have the solution worked out, and have the votes to pass it. Trump and McConnell reneged on the deal. If Trump vetoes it, the rock is in his pocket.

You may remember that immigration reform was a big campaign issue during the Dubya administration. It never happened. This didn't happen yesterday. It's been going on for 30 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or