Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 12:54 PM

18,740 posts, read 8,360,162 times

Advertisements

https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2010...0%99s-why.html

Be Careful What You Wish For: the Balanced Budget Amendment – The Moderate Voice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2018, 04:24 PM

981 posts, read 892,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
During nearly every government shutdown (including this one), our elitist elected congressmen and senators continue to get paid, while our military personnel and their families do not get paid. This disgusts me.

So - my son in law who is deployed to the middle east for six months, and his family, will go without during the shutdown while our fatcat politicians continue to line their pockets with our tax dollars. Doesn't anyone else find that sort of disgusting???????

By the way, they always have the option to vote FOR a continuation of pay for the military - but I didn't even hear that option mentioned - did you?
HOW DO THEY SLEEP AT NIGHT?!? It is truly disgusting and shameful. Your SIL puts his life on the line for what?!? So the political class can continue to get their $$ and do nothing except benefit themselves. And all of this criminal activity on BOTH sides (the settlements for sexual harassment cases, this whole mess with FISA), none of them ever get exposed or prosecuted and we will never see one of these documents. And I bet the IRS isn’t shut down - I am sure they are still busy taking all of our $$!

Old 01-20-2018, 06:47 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,502,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
What if they "shut down the government" and no one cared? OK, let me rephrase that -- what if almost no one outside of government cared?

Frankly, I'm bored with the whole "shut down the government" thing.
thats why obama started shutting down parks and memorials. the government shut down and nobody cared so they had to try to think of ways to make it bother people.

the reality of it is that most of it still runs during a shutdown. they would hate for people to realize how useless they are.

btw, shouldnt we not have to pay taxes for the days it is shut down?

Old 01-20-2018, 06:48 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,502,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaucka View Post
Your SIL puts his life on the line for what?!?
what do you think he puts his life on the line for? you think any of us our benefiting from the military murdering people in the middle east? he is putting his life on the line to make certain people rich and generally to keep himself and others employed.

Old 01-20-2018, 09:03 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,339,286 times
What separates us from animals is our ability to forecast into the future based on information that we have today.

what separate up from animals is, we have thumbs and can operate the can opener

Old 01-20-2018, 10:12 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,339,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
what do you think he puts his life on the line for? you think any of us our benefiting from the military murdering people in the middle east? he is putting his life on the line to make certain people rich and generally to keep himself and others employed.

My son in law works in the medical field and his team goes in and establishes hospitals and medical services for the people who live in that area - mostly women, elderly people, and children.

Old 01-20-2018, 10:41 PM

981 posts, read 892,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
I don’t think most people in the military (especially those that are career military) are doing it for the $ or staying employed. I can think of much easier and safer ways to make a living.

Old 01-20-2018, 11:25 PM

10,013 posts, read 7,155,230 times
My estimate is that it would take about 1-2 months for much of the general public to actually notice the effects of one of these "partial shut downs" in their day-to-day lives.

After a while there would start to be funding problems at lower levels because matching funds wouldn't get paid. Grant funds wouldn't go through, you'd start to see that affect colleges and universities if it bridged semester transitions. Tax refunds would be delayed. Tax cheaters would not be audited for lack of staff, etc., Food safety inspections would be at a minimum, there would be people who got sick, etc., etc

All of it would start to snowball after about a month into bigger problems that most of us would notice. All of your city governments and school districts probably have budgets oriented around some government grant money or matching funds.

At my wife's work they were awarded a large federal grant a couple months ago. If they lose access to those funds that they've now budgeted with, yes it's going to be a big problem. If it just means the funds are a week or two late it's just an unnecessary inconvenience.

This article gives a sense of what happened in 2013 and what we can expect if it continues.
https://nyti.ms/2Dkd6At

Not everyone would experience it the same way but after a number of weeks most of us would notice it. After 2-3 months the halted funds would start to have a pretty impactful macroeconomic effect.

Aggregate government spending is in the neighborhood of 18-22% of GDP. If you cut that significantly it's going to bite.

If it's less than 2-3 weeks then we won't notice much.

Old 01-20-2018, 11:28 PM

37,055 posts, read 42,006,001 times
Most people don't care and most people don't notice. It's not a D or R thing, it's human nature. I sure as heck don't know what most of the government is doing and neither does anyone else. What I DO know is that a lot of it is make-work because that's a historical fact about corporations and government agencies. What jobs are or aren't critical is a mystery to me though. It goes CRITICAL, IMPORTANT, REQUIRED, NICE TO HAVE, OPTIONAL, and WISH LIST.

Old 01-21-2018, 02:11 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,584,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
What if they "shut down the government" and no one cared? OK, let me rephrase that -- what if almost no one outside of government cared?

Frankly, I'm bored with the whole "shut down the government" thing.
If it goes on very long, it's going to put a huge hole in the economy. Watch what happens to stock markets Monday morning if you think nobody cares. Food stamps are 10% of the grocery business in the united states, plus every military base buys it's groceries from local contractors. The government is not the only thing that is shut down, many businesses are shut down too. I don't know if it's true, but one news program said the shutdown is costing the US $86 million an hour. It's already into our pockets for a couple billion bucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics