U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 01:36 PM

3,072 posts, read 1,040,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Actually, 63% of Americans own Real Estate so not sure where you pulled your figures from. This link also shows wealth overall for Americans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
He said one third of American don’t own real estate, and then you posted saying that two thirds do.
Reeding iz hardd.

Actually, while doing a quick lookup to see if those figures were still current, I note that it's expressed as "64% of Americans are homeowners." [Wackopedia's box figure] The longer you think about that figure, though, the slipperier it gets. Does that mean 321M x 0.64 = 205M individuals own real estate? Or that 64% of households own their home, with some largish multiplier of individuals per household?

This is why tossing out disconnected numbers rarely leads to meaningful conclusions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 01:41 PM

18,035 posts, read 13,255,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
One-third of Americans own no real estate and have very little wealth (median ~$5,000).

Obviously wealth is difficult for these people to obtain.
That's not a valid reason to rip money from my pockets.

It's not my fault those people are stupid. There's nothing to prevent them from forming a co-op and pooling their money to buy real estate and reaping the dividends.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:42 PM

11,433 posts, read 19,456,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Earns less than a burger flipper + has to pay /bay Area rents = This Does Not Compute
She downscaled her living quarters, her rental contract states they can’t raise her rent to market, they can only raise a percentage yearly. It can be done.

Old 01-21-2018, 02:03 PM

10,638 posts, read 3,324,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
He said one third of American don’t own real estate, and then you posted saying that two thirds do.

And I quickly changed my wording as I misspoke! My point was to show the statistics since the previous poster did not!

Old 01-21-2018, 02:05 PM

3,072 posts, read 1,040,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Why not? You're likely ripping it from theirs... just through a deniable chain of economic linkages instead of at sweaty gunpoint.

Wealth is not zero-sum, but it's also not infinite nor fairly allocated. Winners who insist they don't owe a dime to anyone less fortunate are... probably white Americans of means.

Old 01-21-2018, 02:21 PM

33,046 posts, read 20,736,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

It's not my fault those people are stupid. There's nothing to prevent them from forming a co-op and pooling their money to buy real estate and reaping the dividends.

Sorry, I thought of that decades ago and quickly discovered that SEC rules preclude large pools of very-low-equity investors.

Old 01-21-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Why not? You're likely ripping it from theirs... just through a deniable chain of economic linkages instead of at sweaty gunpoint.

Wealth is not zero-sum, but it's also not infinite nor fairly allocated. Winners who insist they don't owe a dime to anyone less fortunate are... probably white Americans of means.

Renting is where wealth is redistributed from those unable to retain their own wealth, to those able to command wealth from others.

Old 01-21-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
She downscaled her living quarters, her rental contract states they can’t raise her rent to market, they can only raise a percentage yearly. It can be done.

Rent control? Doesn't exist in this country outside CA and NYC.

p.s. in a market where rents are increasing 10% per year, what rational landlord would agree to a rental contract that states they can't raise rents to market?

Reality FAIL.

p.p.s. I downsized my living quarters (to a 9x9 room) and my rent went UP. Go figure.

Old 01-21-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Reeding iz hardd.

Actually, while doing a quick lookup to see if those figures were still current, I note that it's expressed as "64% of Americans are homeowners." [Wackopedia's box figure] The longer you think about that figure, though, the slipperier it gets. Does that mean 321M x 0.64 = 205M individuals own real estate? Or that 64% of households own their home, with some largish multiplier of individuals per household?

This is why tossing out disconnected numbers rarely leads to meaningful conclusions.

Recently I finally got around to researching the definition of that term.

Turns out that 64% of dwellings are owner-occupied. Many houses - especially in high-COL areas - have an owner-occupant PLUS one or more individuals who rent from the owner.

So a house with an individual owner and 10 renters is owner-occupied, and only a dwelling devoid of an owner-occupant is considered renter-occupied.

Old 01-21-2018, 02:38 PM

10,638 posts, read 3,324,377 times
Quote:
Reeding iz hardd.

My link was from August 2017. The point is that more Americans own than rent. If you are one that rents in this country than you are at the mercy of the person who owns the property, unless you are in one of a few states that have rent control. The only way to get around it is to buy your own property and don't rent. The U.S. offers plenty of opportunities for one to establish enough wealth to purchase their own property. I'm a prefect example. I purchased my first property at the age of 23 with absolutely no help from anyone else. How? Work hard and save!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or