U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 12:23 PM

3,189 posts, read 1,274,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
In my experience... no... especially when it comes to Real Estate where I live in California... quite a wild ride.

In 2009-12 it was if 20 years of appreciation had vanished... simply gone.

Now it has far surpassed the peak of 2007... over 60 straight quarters of appreciation...

What goes up fluctuates and I have seen several reversals...
I'm not in real estate, but some investors I know are convinced that car sales is a leading indicator of the housing market.

You seem like someone that has been involved in this industry for a long time. Any correlation that you've noticed between the two?

Two differing opinions.

Bear:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/03/b...uto-sales.html

Bull (sort of, but not really for US):

https://www.forbes.com/sites/neilwin.../#4c309cf8402b
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 01:27 PM

8,285 posts, read 3,454,476 times
Data a few months old, but nothing there:

http://ticdata.treasury.gov/Publish/mfh.txt

Old 01-28-2018, 08:45 AM

3,720 posts, read 1,667,677 times
I don't know but you can bet your bottom dollar that George Soros will make a killing on it.

Old 01-28-2018, 10:46 AM

4,725 posts, read 2,255,657 times
Dollar. Oil. Banks. It's nonstop end-of-days with you man, and bottom line amounts to tin hat madness:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
That's when they can initiate the next portion of their plan, which is to ultimately reduce the population. Foreign soldiers will detain you for failure to pay for your foreclosed houses or your inability to pay back your student debt for example. They will take you to internment camps. Some of you will be taken there for medical experimentation and others will be exterminated.
There is a big difference between attempting to interpret news and chasing an extreme conclusion of society collapse, population culling, and stormtrooper internment camps.

Old 01-28-2018, 11:53 AM

3,189 posts, read 1,274,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Dollar. Oil. Banks. It's nonstop end-of-days with you man, and bottom line amounts to tin hat madness:

There is a big difference between attempting to interpret news and chasing an extreme conclusion of society collapse, population culling, and stormtrooper internment camps.
I guess I just always assume worst case scenarios. I mean, nobody predicted all the other horrible things that people did to each other, but may not them came out of desperation in difficult economic conditions.

I figure, we should do everything we can to prevent things like that from happening again. That's all.

Old 01-28-2018, 12:17 PM

12,685 posts, read 9,432,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I sometimes wonder if the supply siders have it right and juicing the economy will produce enough growth to grow us out of the debt to GDP ratio problem and related problems like the 70% funded Social Security system.
Me too. Economic Growth is wonderful, of course, but there is the other side of the equation: spending. We have quite a bit of spending on "autopilot" with little ability to control it.

See for example The Federal Government on Autopilot: Mandatory Spending and the Entitlement Crisis. https://judiciary.house.gov/wp-conte...4-81_20631.pdf

See for example the following chart -- note the data were analyzed prior to the recent change in the tax laws.

Also note, for the first time in US History, in 2009 every dollar of tax revenue was pre-committed prior to members of congress walking in through the front doors of the Capitol. <== Read this again. Yes, in 2009, every dollar of tax revenue was pre-committed prior to Members of Congress being sworn in to, you know, pass laws that spend more money.

Old 01-28-2018, 12:58 PM

2,999 posts, read 1,017,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Economic Growth is wonderful, of course, but there is the other side of the equation: spending. We have quite a bit of spending on "autopilot" with little ability to control it.
Growth is the foundation of our economic system... which is why the system needs radical change, not tinkering with interest rates and tax tiers.

The other side of the equation is spending (by those otherwise invisible, disregarded "consumer" things), but that's not the whole of it. The other side contains all the source of that wealth, in resource depletion, pollution, climate change and human potential. It's more than just the "sales" numbers in conventional theory.

We have all the control we could ask for... we have only to shake off intense conditioning and use it.

Old 01-28-2018, 01:45 PM

861 posts, read 371,015 times
This bank, AIIB, is backed by China for large global trade routes infrastructure projects. Out of major economies, US and Japan were conspicuously left out.

This certainly is a design to replace USD with China Yuan.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:01 PM

2,223 posts, read 1,522,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
I don't know but you can bet your bottom dollar that George Soros will make a killing on it.
It's interesting that you brought that up !

George Soros lost $1 billion after Trump election - Business Insider
George Soros reportedly lost about $1 billion after Trump's election.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:10 PM

8,285 posts, read 3,454,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6oo9 View Post
This bank, AIIB, is backed by China for large global trade routes infrastructure projects. Out of major economies, US and Japan were conspicuously left out.

This certainly is a design to replace USD with China Yuan.
Total capital $100B. A pittance. But it is a start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics