U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 09:06 AM

10,608 posts, read 13,394,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Yep I remember our first house we tried to plan down to the very last detail to approximate how much additional money would have to go into it the first year, and we still came out $9k higher than our estimate.

Much of the unexpected budget damage was outside. The wrought iron fence topping I thought would be a weekend repaint project turned into a multi-thousand dollar replacement, a couple of big trees that needed trimming because too close to house needed to be removed since roots mucking with foundation, underground watering plant system needing complete overhaul instead of playing wack-a-mole with the monthly new geyser, etc.
I assume you learned:
  • that you bought a house that you never should have bought,
  • that you should have bought a home more to the scale of your level of experience and resources
  • and if you had done that and worked you way UP to the money pit version, it wouldn't have been the money pit.

If I had a nickel for every time I posted that bad and overgrown landscaping rules out any home purchase I may consider and some guy "informs" me that I just don't understand how "easy" it is to "fix"....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
things always look easier from the outside looking in on what you never experienced .

when we had our first house i could not believe how much we spent on it . especially early on when it was a novelty . we couldn't go any where without coming back with something for the house .
Experienced being the operative word.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Exactly. Americans let others do their thinking for them, and the "American Dream" (owning your own home) is defined by the wealthy interests who build and sell and insure and repair houses. and develop subdivisions and sponsor the media which tells people everything they know.
History disagrees.

Starting with the Homesteading Acts.

Do they have that in the Philippines?

Oh wait.

After Years of Living as Squatters, These Filipino Neighbors Fought for Nice, New Homes in Their Community

In Manila, more than 500,000 people live as squatters, or as they call themselves, informal settler families. Because they donít have land titles, their right to live in their homes is regularly challenged by the government and private landowners.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I am astonished to learn that (2012 data) Canadian renters have nearly 20 times the net worth of US renters - about $120K (~$95K USD) vs ~5K. FWIW, Canadian homeowners are about 4 times as wealthy as US homeowners.

How did Canadian renters get so wealthy relative to US renters?

https://thetyee.ca/News/2017/02/22/The-Big-Give/
WHAT?

That's not the article.

The article's TITLE is: The Big Give: How Owners Got Rich, and Renters Didn’t

At least present facts for your straw man, please.

And you can't conflate two completely different forms of government, tax structures, and two different countries.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:41 AM

2,619 posts, read 1,119,381 times
Quote:
This kind of broad brush stuff usually comes from really bitter expats who believe their failures in USA are the result of everyone else and they are now enlightened in the land of no drinky tap water and wives 30 years younger than them.

Get real dude, there are 320+ million people in USA you can't assign a behavior to all of them.

LOL. As if you can drink tap water all over the U.S! Several places I lived, you could not.
And our neighbor at 65, is delighted with his 30 y/o wife.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:45 AM

2,619 posts, read 1,119,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
things always look easier from the outside looking in on what you never experienced .

when we had our first house i could not believe how much we spent on it . especially early on when it was a novelty . we couldn't go any where without coming back with something for the house .

But it isn't always so. We had a "starter home" in SoCal and never spent a dime on extra stuff, repairs, etc. in the 10 years we lived there. It was 10 or 15 years old. It never needed anything, so I guess it depends....

Old 01-26-2018, 10:55 AM

4,750 posts, read 2,268,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
I assume you learned:
  • that you bought a house that you never should have bought,
  • that you should have bought a home more to the scale of your level of experience and resources
  • and if you had done that and worked you way UP to the money pit version, it wouldn't have been the money pit.
Nah, you're making a lot of stupid assumptions about our resources and whether we should have bought the house. Fix-up costs being higher than anticipated doesn't automatically make something a money pit or indicate it shouldn't have been bought.

What we learned is that we sucked at estimating first year fix-up costs.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:00 AM

4,750 posts, read 2,268,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
LOL. As if you can drink tap water all over the U.S! Several places I lived, you could not.
Do you seriously think you're making a real point here?

In USA 90% of communities have water in compliance with EPA drinking standards. How many places in SE Asia are above 0%? If I had to guess I'd say Singapore, that's about it.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:04 AM

18,883 posts, read 6,176,358 times
Population of countries has a major impact on it all. Canada with 30Million and U.S. with 300Million+. We are forever being compared with these small populated countries.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:18 AM

11,360 posts, read 5,863,312 times
Quote:
Do you seriously think you're making a real point here?

In USA 90% of communities have water in compliance with EPA drinking standards. How many places in SE Asia are above 0%? If I had to guess I'd say Singapore, that's about it.
It's 92%, actually. Most of the problem is lead contamination. Where I live, the state jumps on any community that fails EPA drinking water standards. It's not a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or