Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 09:21 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,696,240 times

Advertisements

Hilarious (to me) column by Paul Krugman, admitting what everyone already knew: economists, even the most respected big names, just make sh*t up for political and career reasons... and no one cares. Quite the opposite: they click on the Like button a hundred times and beg for more.
The universal tie-pin of econ pundits should be a stopped clock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 10:08 AM

7,972 posts, read 7,327,547 times
Well, Krugman admits that "other" economists make schitt up. His focus here is on people who thought inflation would come back and he crows that he was right about inflation not coming back.

I'd like to read an article by Krugman explaining why he thought the 2016 election would usher in an era of economic disaster, and why he got it so wrong.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:14 AM

He includes himself to a degree and I'm inclined to cut him a little slack because he's so often deadly honest about the realities. He also only has 6-800 words to work with.

That 99.999999% of "other economists" make it up is still on-point even if he's indirectly claiming a degree of infallibility.

There's an old, old Peanuts cartoon that ends with Lucy whispering, "I make it up." Should be an engraved plaque on every econ pundit and professor's desk.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:16 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,505,520 times
Anybody who predicates an economic forecast or a critique of it on just one year of data is no better than the average person. He is one of the writers whose writing is heavily colored by his politics and for the business interests for which he advocates. The writers are all very predictable.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
The writers are all very predictable.
Of course they are. They're economists, too! Krug's a Yale/MIT Ph.D., at least.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:51 PM

34,267 posts, read 19,270,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Well, Krugman admits that "other" economists make schitt up. His focus here is on people who thought inflation would come back and he crows that he was right about inflation not coming back.

I'd like to read an article by Krugman explaining why he thought the 2016 election would usher in an era of economic disaster, and why he got it so wrong.
Maybe you should read what he said about it then. This is from 3 days after his initial prediction that everyone focuses on:

https://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/20...the-long-haul/

Old 01-24-2018, 06:20 PM

Concentrate on the first word of my OP.

I'm not arguing Krugman's godhood here; I am applauding his comment about the emperor's clothes, of which some of his are cut from the same cloth.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:03 AM

5,640 posts, read 24,887,387 times
The real economy is made up of trillions of decisions made by billions of people responding to what they perceive the best thing to do for their interests. Meanwhile there are hundreds of governments and central banks trying to manipulate currencies, liquidity, and interest rates. And billions of variables with business decisions, commodity availability, and weather patterns.

No one has the insight, foresight, comprehensive knowledge, or tools to know what, where, and when regarding the economy. It is all guesses and words.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
No one has the insight, foresight, comprehensive knowledge, or tools to know what, where, and when regarding the economy. It is all guesses and words.
That might be a little overstated; I think we can dimly perceive economic futures, but it's all too easy to use someone else's prefab conclusions and look for validation (yep, classic validation bias, often carried to mass delusion) than it is to step back and see the whole foggy picture a little differently.

I see no reason to bet heavily on a consensus view that has a track record worse than the average racetrack addict. And no reason why my contrarian view, based on many of the same hard data points as the establishment crowd, is any less accurate. At least mine includes, you know, people.

Old 01-25-2018, 11:09 AM

13,587 posts, read 9,620,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
The real economy is made up of trillions of decisions made by billions of people responding to what they perceive the best thing to do for their interests. Meanwhile there are hundreds of governments and central banks trying to manipulate currencies, liquidity, and interest rates. And billions of variables with business decisions, commodity availability, and weather patterns.

There's a fundamental difference between descriptive knowledge and predictive knowledge. Descriptive knowledge tells us what happened, and why. Predictive knowledge tells us what's going to happen, and when. Economists are pretty good at discovering and promulgating descriptive knowledge. But predictive knowledge is generally impossible. Why? Because, as cdelena points out, there's too much going on. Even a minor oversight or approximation can rapidly result in unacceptable divergence between prediction and reality - even if, the predictive model is sound and cleverly built. This is also why there's so little disparity in investment-results, between people who have good understanding of markets and economics, and those who are quite ignorant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics