U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 06:27 AM

4,829 posts, read 4,805,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
To me, there’s a difference between being “frugal” and being “cheap”. Frugal people try to get the best value for the money they spend, and are willing to spend more money on higher quality things, they think long term.

On the other hand, cheap people only care about the “cost” of something (i.e. the initial sticker price). Value, quality, and product longevity mean nothing to them, only saving a buck in the moment does, even if it costs them more down the line. In other words, cheap people think short term.

That’s what I mean when I say some people are cheap to their own detriment, they’re the type of people that’ll spend a dollar to save a dime, or trip over a hundred dollar bill to pick up a penny!

An example I can think of is with a vehicle. A frugal person here’s a grinding noise coming from the engine, they take it to a shop and it turns out it needs a new water pump, so they pay to have it fixed. The cheap person, on the other hand, experiences the same problem, takes it to a shop, they balk at the price saying “that’s too expensive” and ignore the problem. Then one day their vehicle overheats and it cracks the cylinder head, causing a much more expensive repair than if they would’ve fixed it when it first started. Their “quest” to save a buck has bit them in the butt and cost them 10x more, and frankly I LOVE when this happens to stupid people. Maybe they’ll learn, but it’s unlikely!

What are your experiences dealing with people like this? What are your thoughts on the subject?
Been to a shop recently? They will saddle you with so much bs rip offs to make your head spin. Take your car in each time you hear/see something unusual and your head and wallet will never stop spinning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 09:40 AM

849 posts, read 362,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Been to a shop recently? They will saddle you with so much bs rip offs to make your head spin. Take your car in each time you hear/see something unusual and your head and wallet will never stop spinning.

Do some shops do that? Of course, but upselling is part of the biz. As long as it's legitimate work, I have no problems with them trying to sell things. You don't have to approve everything they offer.

However, most people do not take care of their vehicles and only bring them to a shop whenever a problem gets so severe it effects driveability or it flat out won't start or move. Then they are surprised when they get hit will a huge estimate, I've heard it all before, such as "Why were they even looking at Y when I brought it in for X!!!" BECAUSE THAT'S HOW BUSINESS WORKS! I'll diagnose and address your primary concern when you bring a vehicle to me, then I'll check it all over for any mechanical/maintenance needs and bring them to your attention.

I'll GLADLY explain to any customer WHY I called the things I did and why they need addressed either immediately or soon. I'll show you bad parts, the cause of your problem, or whatever else you are concerned about, I've got nothing to hid. I'm trying to change the perception of techs as being "dumb, grease monkey con artists just out to rip people off" as those people are not techs and give the industry a bad name. There's WAY too much legitimate work on most vehicles that needs done, no need to EVER lie/make up things to sell to pad your pocket! That said, don't come at me accusing me of "ripping you off" because that's a battle you're not going to win!!!

However, the customer must also take some responsibility as well. A car is like a knife, if you maintain it regularly and keep up on maintenance (i.e. sharpen it often) then it won't take long to get it back in tip top shape. However, if you neglect it and abuse it, never caring until it doesn't perform the way you want, don't be surprised when it needs lots of work (i.e. never sharpened the knife for months/years on end)!

Some people think the only thing they have to do to their vehicle is put fuel in it and drive it, expecting it to never break/need maintenance. OH how wrong they are!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or